Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - P Plate Prohibited Vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yep, but the vehicle is still illegal for a p-plater to drive. You might have some defence if it showed up on the site, but the 130kw/tonne is codified in the legislation.

If You choose to use the VicRoads’ List of Cars Approved for Probationary Drivers You do so strictly at Your own risk and You indemnify each of VicRoads and Red Book for any loss or damage You may incur as a result of the use of the VicRoads’ List of Cars Approved for Probationary Drivers or the performance, or value or otherwise of a vehicle listed.

Yep, but the vehicle is still illegal for a p-plater to drive. You might have some defence if it showed up on the site, but the 130kw/tonne is codified in the legislation.

If You choose to use the VicRoads’ List of Cars Approved for Probationary Drivers You do so strictly at Your own risk and You indemnify each of VicRoads and Red Book for any loss or damage You may incur as a result of the use of the VicRoads’ List of Cars Approved for Probationary Drivers or the performance, or value or otherwise of a vehicle listed.
Earlier in the thread, someone mentioned something about "fancy maths". It's all beyond me. Only 0.3kw above the limit sucks. Probably hurts sales as people want a car that their child can still drive when they get their P-plates.

A mate once told me that if you change your address to a family member in WA, get a WA license, then change the address back to your place in VIC a couple of months later, the WA P-plate restrictions apply to you, not the Victorian. Can't find anything like it online and sounds like crap to me. Does anyone have any fact?

Earlier in the thread, someone mentioned something about "fancy maths". It's all beyond me. Only 0.3kw above the limit sucks. Probably hurts sales as people want a car that their child can still drive when they get their P-plates.

A mate once told me that if you change your address to a family member in WA, get a WA license, then change the address back to your place in VIC a couple of months later, the WA P-plate restrictions apply to you, not the Victorian. Can't find anything like it online and sounds like crap to me. Does anyone have any fact?

Without knowing for sure, sounds a bit iffy to me. I have friends in ACT (where the rules are slightly different to NSW) and they've always operated by the "need to follow the rules of the state you're driving in" - which kinda makes sense to me.

My brother just called saying he is interested in a Model 3 standard range and he wants his 18 year old son to be able to drive it.
The RMS website is saying it is "for review", is their any indication of how long the review process takes?

I remember when I was a teen just learning to drive. I wouldn’t have let me any where near a Tesla when I was that age. :)
I want my son to drive the safest car I can afford him, not some old crap box I was gifted, when he’s of driving age (6 years to go).

I read an article once that in Germany parents buy the newest car with the most safety options they can afford and send the kids to advanced driving training (not only learn skills but appreciated how quickly things can go wrong)…..they learn to be respectful and defensive drivers from the get go.

vicroads approved Model 3 RWD- 2022 model

Just means 3x cars in the family rather 2x between 3 people (which is easily doable for us)…so between now and when my son starts to drive my wife's Model X 75D will become a Model X Plaid and my Model 3 Performance will become a Model S Plaid (these spec's or similar if a different manufacture) so it will mean a separate car for my son....

I think eventually what should be done is for Tesla (and other EVs) to have an L/P mode that must be selected when the driver has an L/P license. Otherwise, if they get caught or worse, get into an accident, they're breaking the law.

Of course the scheme has to be worked out with the authority, but without it, it will be difficult for families to have to get an extra car or buy a less desirable car to share when the children are at that stage.

In another life when I worked in insurance I was in a conference for CTP insurers. A representative from QLD said that before banning performance bikes for young drivers they had a statistic for motorcycle owners under 18 with a motorcycle capacity of more than 1000cc. There were very few of them, mercifully, but the death rate was 100% in one particular year.
This is an extreme example, but it was statistics like that, that caused the beginning of the vehicle V age restrictions, it’s just a case of where to draw the line.

Does anywhere else on this planet have this extreme level of nanny?

I don’t think that rules and regulations that protect individuals from harm and from ill-considered, ill-informed or poorly judged risk-taking is a “nanny” state, but the actions of a responsible society and its government to protect the greater good.

@meloccom’s post is a good reminder of why many of these rules exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.