Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 paint correction and ceramic protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LongRanger

Jan 11, 2020
Wales
Thought I would share some details of a 2-day job on the Model 3, very professionally undertaken by Jemil at Ultrashine Valeting and detailing - located between Tenby and Pembroke in Pembrokeshire, Wales.

Note - I have not received any promotional benefit for sharing this information, but instead feel that the service from Jemil and the quality of work deserves a share - and the pics he has sent me are superb so folks need to see them !

Jemil had already visited me at home to inspect the car and plan the work, this was a nice touch to get the relationship going and builds confidence when you are handing over ££ on a company lease car that I don’r really need to be spending this money on - the aim of the work was to make my life easier as we live in farming country and it rains here a lot ! Maybe this will also help keep the car in as best condition possible when it goes back in 3 years.

link to description of the work

Main products used

EZ car care - general purpose cleaner (interior)
Auto Finesse - exterior wash
SB3 coatings Alpha - ceramic for paintwork
SB3 coatings Vortex - for wheels, brake callipers and wheel arch linings
GTechniq C2 for all glass
GTechniq L1 for seats/door trims etc

Once Jemil had the car he then had clearly done a load of research as I got loads of messages checking on how to use the jack pucks, checking correct wheel torques etc - he had done his homework and obviously cares about doing a good job.

A selection of photos follows - the rest are on the facebook page link

465F1CC8-E715-4743-A6E1-EA8D22A73A28.jpeg
68E9ABC2-F685-42BF-A023-4C61C95800B8.jpeg
7C06E23E-46E9-4339-916B-6E7E65586ABB.jpeg
66DE0BB1-5979-482F-84C9-50925102EBC0.jpeg
D5438368-4287-47E2-AB5A-7D7F1F84AEE4.jpeg
D6A8AF8F-5B28-4D84-B9FA-8146282F54AC.jpeg
5F8885C7-A9D0-4648-8860-0CBED1C327E5.jpeg
223803C8-3D81-46D9-9092-46102C810FEB.jpeg
A7E62C0F-4461-4C6B-B67C-FC23A61F01E6.jpeg
0A9D9273-D166-4D31-89DE-C2B79569C475.jpeg

Last edited:
Forgot to add one point, I deliberately have only used the hose to lightly spray off dirt/dust on the car since day 1, to avoid making the starting position worse for this job. It’s had 6 weeks and about 1750 miles of mostly local journeys and only one longer trip.

@OneTinyFish have to confess I’ve only driven harder on more open roads with less junk on them - it was always in the plan to get this done as part of 3-year total expense on the car, but had to wait for delivery date vs availability of this company to align ....

I do have 2 small stone chips, one near rear wheel on lower section, the other by door mirror on the wing, have ordered a touch-up kit from Scooby’s Paints on ebay

• Informative
Reactions: OneTinyFish
You can spend anything between 300 and 1500 on work like this, mine was towards the lower end of that range. For me it was worth it as I don’t have indoor facilities to have a go myself and my outlay went towards approx 20 hours of professional effort plus of course the products used and the finish being backed by an accredited installer.

prices will vary a lot round the UK but for a paint correction and ceramic finish - depending on where you are phone a couple of companies and see what your ££ will be spent on.

I would be sceptical about someone saying they do full clean, correction and ceramic in a day for £300. Each stage needs prep, the work itself and of course for the ceramic to harden a bond into the factory clear coat it must need a good 24 hours curing time in a clean dust-free space.

Reactions: Zakalwe
10 weeks since this full detail and ceramic was done. The car hasn’t been washed since (my wife’s car was done with identical treatment the same week).

Finally got the right adaptor for my snow foam bottle / pressure washer this week, so out came the Autoglym Polar foam, got both cars nicely splurged with a single mix and left for 10 mins, then jet wash off and job done for another couple of weeks.

The weather has been horrendous here, roads covered in farm traffic rubbish and mud everywhere, considering the battering cars get in these conditions it’s testament to the ceramic finish how good it comes up with literally no effort.

@Medved_77 you asked about the arch linings etc - 10 weeks later the dirt just falls off the plastic parts and also the callipers (and aero covers) when soaked in a good snow foam, I’m sure if you inspected you would find some residue but it’s pretty damn good. I can’t really get down and dirty with a full hand wash at the moment having recently had injections into spine but it’s giving 90+% of a proper by-hand effort just with the foamier/lance. Obviously not as good as the full effort when not dried off / quick-detailed properly.

Glad I didn’t bother washing fully by hand and then drying off by hand as it’s raining again now !

• Helpful
Reactions: Medved_77
@Medved_77 you asked about the arch linings etc - 10 weeks later the dirt just falls off the plastic parts and also the callipers (and aero covers)
Really appreciate the follow up!

Once the weather gets better I'll probably do this area myself. I have everything to remove the wheel so I'll just pick up the coating and give it a go. Should be fine for a novice, especially as it's in a non conspicuous area, so not worried about high spots/streaks etc.

I have been going back and forth about what I am going to do with my model 3 when I get it but I'm heavily leaning towards ceramic coating.

Do you expect it to help much with stone chips and such? I'm so worried about the thin Tesla paint and being that this will be my keeper for a long time, I want to try and keep it in the best condition possible.

BUT, i'm also never going to be that guy that washes it every week, a rinse might be manageable lol and my car gets filthy at work unfortunately. I take my current car through the car wash every week, but I think Elon would personally show up and punch me in the face if I did that to a Tesla...

I have been going back and forth about what I am going to do with my model 3 when I get it but I'm heavily leaning towards ceramic coating.

Do you expect it to help much with stone chips and such? I'm so worried about the thin Tesla paint and being that this will be my keeper for a long time, I want to try and keep it in the best condition possible.

BUT, i'm also never going to be that guy that washes it every week, a rinse might be manageable lol and my car gets filthy at work unfortunately. I take my current car through the car wash every week, but I think Elon would personally show up and punch me in the face if I did that to a Tesla...
Ceramic will offer next to no protection from stone chips, look at Paint Protection Film (PPF) if you're concerned about stone chips.

It will enhance the car's finish aesthetically and make the car easier to wash though as you won't be polishing it with a ceramic coating installed.

I'd stay away from the drive through car washes with the big rotatating brushes. A hand wash will be fine though.

• Helpful
Reactions: Billbrown1982
Yeah...figured that would be the case. Unfortunate but thanks guys.

The sheer cost of PPF & Ceramic though.....almost wonder if I'd be better off just getting the damn thing resprayed every few years lol

Also, with Ceramic coating...I've started looking around at a few local companies. The ones that offer "lifetime" ceramic coating...is this even legit?

I can believe the 3-5 years ones but a lifetime application seems a bit hard to believe.

Last edited: