Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 paint correction and ceramic protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah...figured that would be the case. Unfortunate but thanks guys.

The sheer cost of PPF & Ceramic though.....almost wonder if I'd be better off just getting the damn thing resprayed every few years lol

Also, with Ceramic coating...I've started looking around at a few local companies. The ones that offer "lifetime" ceramic coating...is this even legit?

I can believe the 3-5 years ones but a lifetime application seems a bit hard to believe.

Anybody offering lifetime is lying, and I would avoid them at all costs.

Reactions: Beady3647
I picked up my M3LR (midnight silver) last Wednesday and had it in to Danny at Prestige Auto Detailing in Derby on Monday & Tuesday for a new car detail, including the IGL Kenzo ceramic treatment which should provide 5 years of cover (if maintained properly!).

The car looked absolutely stunning, and I'd highly recommend Danny as he has done a lot of M3s this year (there was a red one in at the same time as mine, and he had another M3 due in yesterday), so knows his way around the car.

I picked up my M3LR (midnight silver) last Wednesday and had it in to Danny at Prestige Auto Detailing in Derby on Monday & Tuesday for a new car detail, including the IGL Kenzo ceramic treatment which should provide 5 years of cover (if maintained properly!).

The car looked absolutely stunning, and I'd highly recommend Danny as he has done a lot of M3s this year (there was a red one in at the same time as mine, and he had another M3 due in yesterday), so knows his way around the car.
2 - 3 years max is more realistic for ceramic although you'll see the water repellant effect start to degrade after 18 months. I have PPF with two coats of Halo ceramic and whilst water still beads quite well, it will need doing again in 6 months or so. This is consistent with the manufacturer's advice (Gtechniq). I may have a go myself with the new range from Gyeon which is supposed to be very good and at the moment I'm just topping out with their excellent Wet Coat product.

The PPF has been great. In the month I had the car before the work was done I got a few chips, but nothing since. I even managed to drop a small metal bin on the car and zero damage. I'm also in Derby.

Anybody offering lifetime is lying, and I would avoid them at all costs.

Thats what I thought. There's so many different companies around here offering different things and coming with great reviews too. Like these guys New Car Detailing | Infinite Detail | England (infinite-detail.co.uk) - lifetime ceramic for £1100? If only. Plus they do finance which would be so handy as this purchase is going to wipe out my bank account as it is! lol but as you say, it must be too good to be true.

I emailed another local company that are more realistic and come very highly recommended, but they havn't even bothered to reply =/
Home | Dub Customs

Just emailed a 3rd company near to where I'll be picking the car up from, someone on here recommended him,no prices on his site so I'll see what he comes back with.
Contact | Mint Condition UK | Paint Protection Film (mintcondition-uk.com)

If anyone has nothing better to do than check out those 3 and give their opinion on who's the best I'd be very appreciative! :)

I think i've decided on front PPF and ceramic all round and i'm just going to have to train myself into washing the car myself on the driveway. Who knows, maybe I'll learn to enjoy it???

2 - 3 years max is more realistic for ceramic although you'll see the water repellant effect start to degrade after 18 months. I have PPF with two coats of Halo ceramic and whilst water still beads quite well, it will need doing again in 6 months or so. This is consistent with the manufacturer's advice (Gtechniq). I may have a go myself with the new range from Gyeon which is supposed to be very good and at the moment I'm just topping out with their excellent Wet Coat product.

The PPF has been great. In the month I had the car before the work was done I got a few chips, but nothing since. I even managed to drop a small metal bin on the car and zero damage. I'm also in Derby.

Did you go full PPF or just front? I think full is going to be out of my price range, although would be nice to have that extra protection on the sides, especially with the M3's being prone to road rash I think they call it?

Gtechniq is a name i've heard of loads, so I guess that could be a safe bet if I find a company that uses it.

Thats what I thought. There's so many different companies around here offering different things and coming with great reviews too. Like these guys New Car Detailing | Infinite Detail | England (infinite-detail.co.uk) - lifetime ceramic for £1100? If only. Plus they do finance which would be so handy as this purchase is going to wipe out my bank account as it is! lol but as you say, it must be too good to be true.

I emailed another local company that are more realistic and come very highly recommended, but they havn't even bothered to reply =/
Home | Dub Customs

Just emailed a 3rd company near to where I'll be picking the car up from, someone on here recommended him,no prices on his site so I'll see what he comes back with.
Contact | Mint Condition UK | Paint Protection Film (mintcondition-uk.com)

If anyone has nothing better to do than check out those 3 and give their opinion on who's the best I'd be very appreciative! :)

I think i've decided on front PPF and ceramic all round and i'm just going to have to train myself into washing the car myself on the driveway. Who knows, maybe I'll learn to enjoy it???

Did you go full PPF or just front? I think full is going to be out of my price range, although would be nice to have that extra protection on the sides, especially with the M3's being prone to road rash I think they call it?

Gtechniq is a name i've heard of loads, so I guess that could be a safe bet if I find a company that uses it.
I went full PPF for peace of mind but part PPF in the right areas would do the job. Gtechniq tends to be the preferred solution for many and seem to do decent products

When choosing products like ceramic coat and PPF, make sure that you use an approved installer listed on the relevant manufacturers web site. Approved installers get access to products that would otherwise not be available, plus manufacturer backup if things don't go to plan.

Don't think that trained installers or recommendations are a safe bet - I got bitten and ended up having to have half the job redone at our expense. I could probably have pursued it, but tbh life is too short and whilst they were prepared to fix part of it, I decided to have a proper job elsewhere rather than a reluctant afterthought. It amazed even the new fitters what the original ones had tried to cover up.

Allegedly the IGL Kenzo is supposed to be god for 5 years, but will of course be keeping an eye on it (checks via Danny every 6 months), and if it needs re-doing 2 or 3 years then so be it.