Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Paint (Ice Scraper Damage)

Scraped paint off with a plastic ice scraper on my Model 3, is this:

• duh, expected (why would you ever touch your car with a plastic ice scraper!)

Votes: 77 83.7%
  • surprising (but some cars are just like this)

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • totally unexpected (wouldn't imagine that happening, or you do it to your own car all the time)

Votes: 8 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, just trying to get a real sense of how I should feel after I damaged the paint on my Tesla Model 3 Performance (2021)... Saved up for 7 years just to give it scratches all over in the first blizzard :'D. Has missing paint inside the doors, underneath the frunk (hidden) etc.

I love the car so this isn't hating on Tesla in any way. I happily forget about it once I'm in the car. I was just personally very surprised given my previous history of scraping away with gumption worry-free on my past Mercedes and Audi.

On top of the poll, how do you remove ice from your Tesla?

So, you scraped the hood or the trunk lid? I've had snow accumulation but no ice. I mean, there are those instances where you have freezing rain conditions that can encase your car in ice, but that's unusual. And, unlike ICE vehicles, we don't have an engine that heats up the hood, then lets the melted snow refreeze into ice, so ice is less of an issue on the hood, I would think. Anyway, it's a shame that it happened.

In general, I use a snow broom, that blue foam thing, to remove snow. And, if I'm out and about, I have a brush in the car.

thinking about this some more, it makes me think that PPF on the hood and top of trunk may prevent this kind of accident.

Last edited:
I see people scraping ice from the painted surfaces of their cars frequently enough. As a Tesla owner it makes me wince. The finish of these cars really does need to be treated with kid gloves. I feel bad for you, @To3OrNotTo3 - must have been a very unpleasant surprise.

Thank you, I appreciate it!

1. PICS
2. Set the car to 80 and wait an hour or two.

Next time it snowed, I seriously did # 2 but for less time. Will add pics sometime!

I understand if you are in a hurry and you want this ice off your car you made a decision, but it is common knowledge not to use an ice scraper on painted surfaces.

Wasn't even in a rush, was unfortunately just ignorance. Earnestly, the motivation was just so I don't have any lingering ice on my car. Always is my pet peeve (and actually dangerous) to leave ice on the car before driving (in case a sheet of it flies off and hits people/cars behind you). Always have been meticulous about this, just got (frost)bitten by this being unaware!

So, you scraped the hood or the trunk lid? I've had snow accumulation but no ice. I mean, there are those instances where you have freezing rain conditions that can encase your car in ice, but that's unusual. And, unlike ICE vehicles, we don't have an engine that heats up the hood, then lets the melted snow refreeze into ice, so ice is less of an issue on the hood, I would think. Anyway, it's a shame that it happened.

In general, I use a snow broom, that blue foam thing, to remove snow. And, if I'm out and about, I have a brush in the car.

I literally scraped everywhere there was ice. It had snowed, started to melt due to temperature variances outside, and refroze. Wasn't even scraping hard, but a brush itself wouldn't have (at least easily) sufficed. Thank you for sharing your methodology! I will attempt to replicate in the future :D

FWIW my sales rep was surprised it happened, and my service rep was flabbergasted I tried it.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Tesla paint is not the greatest.

The OP used a plastic windshield scraper to remove snow off paint. My sense is if this had been done before, the OP was merely lucky that paint wasn't scratched I'd never use even a brush on the car. Or if I only had a brush, I'd brush the majority of the snow off, but still leave about a half inch so I wasn't actually touching the paint.

First and foremost - ouch. Sorry to hear that.

But secondly, invest in a Sno Brum - that thing is WONDERFUL for clearing off the car, safely. What I usually do is use the Sno Brum to push the snow off the car, then like @SabrToothSqrl said, turn on the heat and let it warm up. Usually very little left at that point. Anything that's left, sometimes I gently smack it with the Sno Brum and then it breaks apart and I can slide it off.

I really can't recommend the Sno Brum enough - one of the most important vehicle accessories I've ever bought.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010MFYL02

Hey all, just trying to get a real sense of how I should feel after I damaged the paint on my Tesla Model 3 Performance (2021)... Saved up for 7 years just to give it scratches all over in the first blizzard :'D. Has missing paint inside the doors, underneath the frunk (hidden) etc.

I love the car so this isn't hating on Tesla in any way. I happily forget about it once I'm in the car. I was just personally very surprised given my previous history of scraping away with gumption worry-free on my past Mercedes and Audi.

On top of the poll, how do you remove ice from your Tesla?
You should be hating on Tesla for this. Have you ever owned another vehicle where this was an issue? Ever owned a $60K+ vehicle where this was an issue?

Im guessing the answer to both is “no”. Don’t give them a pass for putting out a shoddy product.

You should be hating on Tesla for this. Have you ever owned another vehicle where this was an issue? Ever owned a $60K+ vehicle where this was an issue?

Im guessing the answer to both is “no”. Don’t give them a pass for putting out a shoddy product.

Really?

Scraping a hood with an ice scraper is a recipe for disaster - I don't care if it's a Rolls Royce!

I’ve owned many other cars. No car paint is scratch proof from a plastic scraper. Even the automatic car washes create swirls and scratches on the paint.