Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Paint (Ice Scraper Damage)

Scraped paint off with a plastic ice scraper on my Model 3, is this:

• duh, expected (why would you ever touch your car with a plastic ice scraper!)

Votes: 77 83.7%
  • surprising (but some cars are just like this)

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • totally unexpected (wouldn't imagine that happening, or you do it to your own car all the time)

Votes: 8 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Calling in sick and having a Kölsch?

Right, brain freeze, talking cold stuff. Well if you are going that route, well you need brats. If you are
drinking that beer you need to be by the river, in Koln. I think thats where those crazy cops hang
out. Calling in sick is an art. Best one is "I have an eye problem... just cant see coming into work"

Groundhog day ?

Oh come on. I live in Chicago, so I'm no stranger to snow. There is no way that enough snow gets piled on a car, that it impedes the vision of another driver. That's ludicrous. I mean it snows for crying out loud. So a little more flurries that come off your car as you drive for the first 500 feet, isn't going to affect anyone. The video above, of the truck, is not exactly an apples to apples comparison.
Seriously? I lived in Chicago as a boy; but we used to be proud of how tall the snow hats used to get on our cars. After a big storm, 18" or more could pile up on top, especially with snow drifts. Then, as someone else mentioned, snow on top isn't always just soft-fluffy snow. Sometimes there's layers of ice, due to melting, or freezing rain. Sheets of ice with snow flying off vehicles is extremely common, and dangerous. That's why it's against the law now.

I agree but every ice scraper I have ever owned has a brush on the opposite end. Use the brush on the painted surfaces and the scraper on the glass. It has never crossed my mind to use the scraper on the painted surfaces of the car. It seems obvious that it would scratch the paint.

Best ice scraper out there. Harmless to glass, would be awful on paint. And no brush.

I use one of these and a Sno Brum.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MY1FTSD/

@Adam3 and @KenC I have to admit your message amongst the fervor was a motivating factor in posting this during the workday :D

Sorry about the moisture accumulation, I can come back and add more photos if useful, but here are a couple prime examples (paint pun not intended?) of the damage. One example from the hood. One example from on the door near the window.

Will happily respond to other comments some other time soon! In short, I appreciate the condolences from some and to the rest, I'm glad I could give a sense of catharsis in reveling in my ignorance :D

Earlier on in life, I saw metal ice scrapers and plastic ice scrapers and made the reasonable conclusion one was more dangerous than the other and must have thus underestimated the danger of the lesser (having not been visibly affected by it for the last 16 years or so of winter driving.

But yes, PSA, please clean your cars off appropriately for the safety of others (and with the right tools for the safety of your vehicle's exterior).

IMG_1313.jpg
IMG_1316.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: dmurphy
@Adam3 and @KenC I have to admit your message amongst the fervor was a motivating factor in posting this during the workday :D

Sorry about the moisture accumulation, I can come back and add more photos if useful, but here are a couple prime examples (paint pun not intended?) of the damage. One example from the hood. One example from on the door near the window.

Will happily respond to other comments some other time soon! In short, I appreciate the condolences from some and to the rest, I'm glad I could give a sense of catharsis in reveling in my ignorance :D

Earlier on in life, I saw metal ice scrapers and plastic ice scrapers and made the reasonable conclusion one was more dangerous than the other and must have thus underestimated the danger of the lesser (having not been visibly affected by it for the last 16 years or so of winter driving.

But yes, PSA, please clean your cars off appropriately for the safety of others (and with the right tools for the safety of your vehicle's exterior).

View attachment 634212 View attachment 634213
Those look like plastic residue. You might be able to just buff those out. Seriously!

Whew. That's great to hear! Triple thank you! I'll schedule something with a local detailer, probably get a ceramic coating while I'm at it.... Once I do, I can post how successful||not it was.

(Also forgot to thank everyone for their product suggestions and their ways of navigating the situation)

Last edited:
Reactions: fredjan
Also, those white marks on the door side (lower half of the picture) were just threads from my clothes (trying to dry off, saw them and went back and checked afterwards). I was concerned for a second because it resembled the deep cut that I had elsewhere in the car from a service visit (they later semi-repaired it)

Don't love that this happened, but I love your positive approach to it all. It's a bummer for sure but not dire by any means!

PS - snow hats aren't a thing here in NJ. Stuff like that will get you gone. Like, Mikey Palmice in the woods gone.