Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Paint Quality Issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my car just over 2.5 weeks now, and have noticed an issue with the paint on the bonnet/frunk lid.

I have what appears to be a faded patch / fault in the paint. I have asked a detailer to record the paint depths, and have attached pictures and their recordings to this post.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had similar issues either with MIC models or others? Have Tesla sorted it? If so how?
I want to apply PPF to the panel, and Im advised that if they 'touch it up' - appreciate thats not a technical term, then whne PPF is removed this could cause paint touch up to peel.

Thanks Cliff.

Attachments

• IMG_0569-1.JPG
    IMG_0569-1.JPG
    278.8 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG_0570.JPG
    IMG_0570.JPG
    239.5 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_0652.JPG
    IMG_0652.JPG
    268.2 KB · Views: 325
"MIC" has nothing in the slightest to do with tesla paint issues. If you search the model 3 forum for "paint issues" you will find 100s (not an exaggeration) of posts on complaints about paint for model 3s, made anywhere.

So , if the question is actually what you state, which is "has anyone seen this"? the answer is a resounding YES, and it has less than zero to do with what factory the vehicle was made in.

===================

(moderator note: the above is why I edited the thread title as where the vehicle was made is not relevant to complaints about paint quality on tesla model 3s. The fremont USA headquarters has years of paint complaints, and they are basically the same now (complaints) as they have been for the past 2 years).

Reactions: Cliff84
"MIC" has nothing in the slightest to do with tesla paint issues. If you search the model 3 forum for "paint issues" you will find 100s (not an exaggeration) of posts on complaints about paint for model 3s, made anywhere.

So , if the question is actually what you state, which is "has anyone seen this"? the answer is a resounding YES, and it has less than zero to do with what factory the vehicle was made in.

===================

(moderator note: the above is why I edited the thread title as where the vehicle was made is not relevant to complaints about paint quality on tesla model 3s. The fremont USA headquarters has years of paint complaints, and they are basically the same now (complaints) as they have been for the past 2 years).
Thanks for the reply. What do you suggest my best move with Tesla is? I want to get my PPF replaced and am concerned that if they offer to. ‘Touch it up’ that when ppf is applied and later removed it may peel with the PPF. Any advice is really appreciated. Cliff.

I dont have any advice on that specifically, because I think its likely for paint that was touched up to be removed if PPF is applied then removed. The only thing I could think of is asking whoever you had do the paint depth their opinion on how long it takes paint to cure so that doesnt happen.

I also dont know why you are planning on putting on, then removing PPF at some point, but I am also a person who doesnt understand why people buy a vehicle and immediately start talking about the depreciation, because you dont realize the depreciation until you actually sell it.

When you sell a car is when you start complaining about the depreciation, not until then (in my eyes), so worrying about "what might happen when I get my car PPFed and then take it off "later" doesnt make sense to me, because I dont know the circumstance in which you would need to remove the PPF "later".

Hi @jjrandorin, thanks for the post. PPF does have a shelf life, the manufactures suggest maybe 10yrs. So it will need removal, and can fail.
The detailker has warned me that they wont guarantee any PPF work if Tesla doa 'touch up'. Seems im left with poor paint, which I can PPF or touched up paint which isnt suitable for PPF. Im disappointed either way!

Hi @jjrandorin, thanks for the post. PPF does have a shelf life, the manufactures suggest maybe 10yrs. So it will need removal, and can fail.
The detailker has warned me that they wont guarantee any PPF work if Tesla doa 'touch up'. Seems im left with poor paint, which I can PPF or touched up paint which isnt suitable for PPF. Im disappointed either way!

So, you are worried about taking off PPF 10 years from now? Just get the car wrapped a different color if you still have it at that time.

EDIT; that sounds more harsh than I intended. What I mean is, I dont understand why you would hesitate in getting something fixed / done now, because your paint may come off when you remove PPF from the car in 10 years. So much can happen between now and 10 years from now that I dont understand how that could be a concern. Its very unlikely that you would even be worried about taking PPF off the car 10 years from now, and thats even if you still have the car 10 years from now.

If you DO have the car 10 years from now, its likely that it will have enough knicks and stuff on it that you would either not care, or want to get it wrapped or re painted. I would get it fixed and PPF'ed now if thats what you want, and deal with "what happens if I remove the PPF 10 years from now.... 10 years from now.

Last edited: