Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something interesting....I just ordered some pre cut rocker panel PPF for the 3 and they asked whether the car had the "textured paint" or not on the rockers. The film supplier is showing 2 different cut options based on what paint the 3 has. I wonder if that means Tesla made a change to make this area more rugged. Many cars I've had in the past have had the rocker area base coated with a heavy textured material which supposedly reduces chipping and wear. It's clearly visible. Anyone with a newer 3 seeing this? I don't pick mine up until this weekend.

Mine has the thicker coat of paint on the rocker panel. Car details in signature.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Something interesting....I just ordered some pre cut rocker panel PPF for the 3 and they asked whether the car had the "textured paint" or not on the rockers. The film supplier is showing 2 different cut options based on what paint the 3 has. I wonder if that means Tesla made a change to make this area more rugged. Many cars I've had in the past have had the rocker area base coated with a heavy textured material which supposedly reduces chipping and wear. It's clearly visible. Anyone with a newer 3 seeing this? I don't pick mine up until this weekend.
Don't know if mine is this "heavy textured material", but it's definitely not as smooth as the rest of the car, and I did have more difficulty making the PPF stick to it, given the lumpiness. My vin is 104xxx, Oct 2018 build.

• Informative

My Aug 2018 build (VIN 097730) Deep Blue Metallic has the textured material on the bottom 1/2 of the rocker panels. I was starting to notice some chips on the dog leg of the rocker panel ahead of the rear wheels, so I was thinking about ordering a full-length rocker panel PPF. Already have my full hood, full front fenders, front bumper and side view mirrors PPF'd professionally, but was going to DIY the rockers myself. But now I'm second guessing because of the textured material on the bottom. Where were you getting your rocker PPF? The ones I saw were from invisiblemask.com.

-- Cintoman

• Informative
My Aug 2018 build (VIN 097730) Deep Blue Metallic has the textured material on the bottom 1/2 of the rocker panels. I was starting to notice some chips on the dog leg of the rocker panel ahead of the rear wheels, so I was thinking about ordering a full-length rocker panel PPF. Already have my full hood, full front fenders, front bumper and side view mirrors PPF'd professionally, but was going to DIY the rockers myself. But now I'm second guessing because of the textured material on the bottom. Where were you getting your rocker PPF? The ones I saw were from invisiblemask.com.

-- Cintoman
Got mine from invisiblemask.com, but you can also try carprotectionpros.com. They offer xpel and their package includes the lower part of the doors, and covers a little more of the rear wheel arch flare. I would have gotten that one, if I hadn't already done the full door PPF.

While the texture makes it harder to stick, you just need to take more time.

Attachments

• IMG_2090.jpg
    IMG_2090.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 229
Reactions: WarpedOne
Hello everyone. I am writing in from Canada and had posted approx 6 weeks ago in this thread with my paint issues. For anyone in Canada, I have made a formal complaint with the Better Business Bureau of Canada. I will update when they get a response from tesla.

Thx for the info. We also have escalated this in Finland to The Consumer Disputes Board Entry page - Kuluttajariitalautakunta

Latest news in: Is #TeslaPaintIssues the next headline hurdle for Tesla? - Grit Daily

Also pls join our group to post your story: photos, miles, what is the problem etc. Tesla Model 3 owners worldwide with paint issues

Thx for the info. We also have escalated this in Finland to The Consumer Disputes Board Entry page - Kuluttajariitalautakunta

Latest news in: Is #TeslaPaintIssues the next headline hurdle for Tesla? - Grit Daily

Also pls join our group to post your story: photos, miles, what is the problem etc. Tesla Model 3 owners worldwide with paint issues
Just got this response from Better Business Bureau of Canada

“BBB acknowledges receipt of your correspondence regarding Tesla Motors.

Please note that there is currently no BBB to service the Quebec region. While our BBB is looking into expanding its service area, at this time we only service the Outaouais region in the province of Quebec.

We regret that we cannot be of further assistance to you at this time but thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

Sincerely,

Dispute Resolution Department
Better Business Bureau”

Called 2 shops, called one of them twice (3 calls total) to get PPF : the both answered and said they were out of the shop to provide proper quotes... and did not called back (sight). Of course I will get PPF, but I have the feeling that it is going to be a pain, time consuming wise.

If you live in the Vancouver area, I can tell you I had good experience with RDI in Richmond BC.

Just got this response from Better Business Bureau of Canada

“BBB acknowledges receipt of your correspondence regarding Tesla Motors.

Please note that there is currently no BBB to service the Quebec region. While our BBB is looking into expanding its service area, at this time we only service the Outaouais region in the province of Quebec.

We regret that we cannot be of further assistance to you at this time but thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

Sincerely,

Dispute Resolution Department
Better Business Bureau”

Thank you for. Our case is moving forward with Tesla lawyers and our own lawyers. Next thursday we will 3.th party goods inspection @ Finland. What a Goods Inspector Does - Kauppakamari

It will take 1-3 weeks to make the report depending what time 3 th party consultant will need to make report. There will be 2 model 3 cars on that inspection and both of them are brand new whose paint wears off in under 5000 km....

Thanks for the help, but I am in Quebec and in a quite remote area.

Sad thing is, even with mud gards I begin to see the problem. Mud guards alone are not enough :(

Oh *sugar*. You need PPF everywhere to protect the paint. You should contact your goverment officials because of these. You should not need to pay any protection because the paint is so shitty.

Have a watch the latest youtube video ! We model 3 owners love our cars but Tesla & Elon Musk is making it harder every day... :(

@Johnii__82 ....these are my sentiments exactly !! I've been a enormous fan since Day 1 of Roadster 1.0, I'm an IPO investor. But his thoughts are exactly how I feel. LOVE LOVE my Model 3, but the cosmetic issues, paint quality, and the things I've replaced that no one else should need to replace on any new car, really gets quite annoying.

--Cintoman

• Informative
@Johnii__82 ....these are my sentiments exactly !! I've been a enormous fan since Day 1 of Roadster 1.0, I'm an IPO investor. But his thoughts are exactly how I feel. LOVE LOVE my Model 3, but the cosmetic issues, paint quality, and the things I've replaced that no one else should need to replace on any new car, really gets quite annoying.

--Cintoman

Same. Been following Tesla past 5-7 years now when i had chance to buy my dream car i was crushed because they try to fool us a customers that they say this is normal which is not !

Let's see how big fight this will be. CNBC will give soon some news about this !

- Joni

CNBC will give soon some news about this !

Oh why doesn't it surprise me that CNBC would jump at the chance of some negative coverage. If you love the company, be careful you don't blow things out of proportion and feed the flames. I understand your disappointment and I hope you can get some form of resolution you're happy with, but this might just fan some flames whilst doing nothing to solve your issue. We'll see.

Oh why doesn't it surprise me that CNBC would jump at the chance of some negative coverage. If you love the company, be careful you don't blow things out of proportion and feed the flames. I understand your disappointment and I hope you can get some form of resolution you're happy with, but this might just fan some flames whilst doing nothing to solve your issue. We'll see.

Yep i know but we did not have any other option to help us in situation. Because Tesla has been from the start very arrogance towards customers. :(