Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed these 2 days ago. They are easily installed and visually minimal. The California’s are the smallest of the 3 versions. The fronts are installed with 3 push-pins and 1 screw into a supplied fitting. The rears are installed with 2 push-pins and 2 screws with 1 screw into a supplied fitting and one into the plastic. Very complete kit with PPF strips lots of extra push-pins:

EV Mudflaps par Antirouille Bolduc

View attachment 430797

View attachment 430801

View attachment 430798

View attachment 430799

View attachment 430800
My car is getting pitted with rock chips near the middle of the front doors. Would the evmudflaps helps with that? If so which ones? Do they require any drilling?

My car is getting pitted with rock chips near the middle of the front doors. Would the evmudflaps helps with that? If so which ones? Do they require any drilling?

Mud flaps would definitely help. I would suggest you visit several of the active mud flap thread - and don't pay $150 for mud flaps. Going rate for flat or molded in ~$35. Early to market vendors were gouging M3 owners by charging $150 - $180 per set of flaps!!! :eek:

Reactions: lUtriaNt
If you mean on the lower part of the doors, then all the mudflaps will stop that, cause that's the dirt coming from around the sides of the wheel wells. If you mean on the lower part of the rocker panels, about midway back towards the rear, then you need the mudflaps that extend lower. For example, if you look at Bolduc's 3 offerings, the California only goes down a little over an 1". The Midwest and North models, extend even lower and give more protection. The Midwest and North models extend alot lower than is typical, presumably because in Canada, they need more protection. I would think the Cali model or any of the recent mudflaps being offered between $25 and $50 on other threads would work. They all seem to extend between 1" and 2" which is what you need to protect the rockers, while not looking like a truck.

Can someone explain how the rear wheel can kick dirt forwards? Or is that patch from the front wheels somehow?? :confused:

(stealing photo from earlier pages):
8d8d971c-6b08-4785-a0bc-9b8179eaae91-jpeg.394371
That is not coming from the rear wheels. If you look closely, you'll notice that the front of the wheel arch, slightly flares out. Dirt thrown up by the front tires, travels along hitting right in that spot. Sportscar manufacturers often would put a piece of plastic right there, where the arch flares.
ebay86568.jpg

This is disappointing.

Sorry i have now the real measurement. My car paint was cutted with toughness F :( So it is medium and it is soft.

PAINT HARDNESS

What is soft paint?

"
  1. So soft that just the act of wiping the paint with a clean, soft microfiber polishing cloth instills swirls and scratches.
Like shown here:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/model-3-scratches-all-over-and-what-teslas-tech-said.156793/

"

Links:
Polishable & Polishability - Paint Hardness or Softness

The Pencil Hardness Test
pencil_hardness.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Adam3
Wow. Seems like PPF and/or ceramic coating is mandatory.

Yes... This was for BLACK ( F ) and those multi-coats are around 2H.. So tesla paint is soft so to say! PPF would be mandatory, mudguards.... + ceramic coating will not help for paint issues it keeps the paint clean, but still the paint is not durable.

Tesla has a lot of things to better up on the the Fremont paint shop. It still Elon Musk bottleneck. :(

Trick of light? Just mud from a splash? Is this your photo or someone else’s?
Fairly typical wear pattern in areas with lots of road debris, whether sand/salt in winter, or cinders or just dirt from lots of construction. First, the topcoat wears off, the cloudy areas, then the paint starts to pit, showing the white primer. That’s when most people notice something.

Mud flaps and/or PPF can prevent it. Ceramic won’t.

I have some bad news which you need to know.

4.7.2019 we did good inspection https://kauppakamari.fi/en/goods-inspection/goods-inspectionwhat-a-goods-inspector-does/ on 2x Tesla Model 3 mine had 5xxx km and other 8xxx km and found out that paint is THIN and does not even comply with Tesla standards thickness on some areas.

Also the paint is soft. Hardness on my car is: F on pencil scale.

Report is available here. --> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Aq4OmGjPMn4lHg-WVoZEM_nev2ya5Mzd/view
It is in Finnish you can use translation tools to understand what has been inspected.

Also i made a tweet on twitter again to Tesla & Elon Musk to wake them up.

https://twitter.com/Savolainen_J/status/1157336753923088384

Now in the news also. Finnish Tesla Model 3 Inspection Reveals Soft, Thin, Under-Spec Paint

Last edited:
Perhaps some of you aren't Tesla investors or aware of the history, but I wouldn't get too happy about being featured in an article by Edward Niedermeyer. A well-known Tesla muckspreader. That isn't going to get Tesla to pay attention I'm afraid, they'd need an unbiased source for that. I am saying this as somebody who is both a Tesla investor and somebody with an interest in this issue - and I can absolutely understand the frustration regarding this issue.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC