Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is one of the reasons I want to lease instead of buy....
The thing is, it would be a fairly easy thing to correct for Tesla, and/or the owner himself. People have bought $30-$200 mudflaps, or put on rocker PPF for under $200. Both solutions can totally take care of the problem. If only Tesla had informed buyers, there wouldn't be this problem. Then again, Johnii's paint seems particularly bad, and Tesla should take care of it.

Reactions: Johnii__82
The thing is, it would be a fairly easy thing to correct for Tesla, and/or the owner himself. People have bought $30-$200 mudflaps, or put on rocker PPF for under $200. Both solutions can totally take care of the problem. If only Tesla had informed buyers, there wouldn't be this problem. Then again, Johnii's paint seems particularly bad, and Tesla should take care of it.

That's exactly what I did to my car this weekend. My barely 6,200 mile Model 3 (delivered on 9/27/18) was starting to show some very few signs of rock chips on the dog leg right ahead of the rear wheels. Also a few on the lower rocker panels. I touched up the areas with the small chips with Tesla's touch up paint and then installed Scotchguard's best PPF, custom cut to the lower rocker panels and the lower 6" of the doors. I installed it myself which wasn't really difficult at all. Cost me about $150.00 USD for the precut PPF. In addition, I purchased the eBay/China black rubber mudflaps, which should help with protecting the lower part of the car. So I think I should be well-protected in these areas. About a month after getting my car, I also had the whole front end PPF'd (full bumper, full hood, full front fenders and full mirror caps).

I honestly think that the paint quality is pretty bad for such an expensive car. I too have similar areas of missing paint, although not nearly as bad as @Johnii__82 's. I have the Deep Blue Metallic, so any missing paint, similar to a black car, can be quite noticeable. My areas include the small panel gap of the inner area of the bottom of the A-Pillar, where the front fender is mounted, inside the front fenders when you open up the front doors, around the hinges of the back doors, and especially noticeable is the hinges of the trunk when fully opened.

--Cintoman

Yep. This could have been easily avoided!

What tesla needs:

more durable paint, more standardised paint process that the paint has been completely spreaded on car bc we have seen ubnormal paint thickness on lover side of the car than upper side, mudguards, ppf on the the rockers and back archer wheel well.

-Joni

Reactions: KenC
@Johnii__82

The craziest but not at all unexpected bit on the coverage of this debacle is the silence of Electrek.co. They have been refusing to even acknowledge the question let alone cover it. This from a site that normally covers any smallest bit of Tesla info.

Electrek showing their colors.

Fred Lambert have been watching the paint stuff for now over 3 months now. Fred is trying to put down the silence of the paint issues.

Here is my email to Fred he has received about 15-30 emails regarding paint issues from Canada. He is part of the group on facebook where the french canadians are gathered up.

Maybe he is afraid to publish those news because he is investor & friend of Elon Musk? I don't understand.

BTW. Look business insider:

model333.JPG

A German rental-car company said it canceled plans to buy 100 Tesla Model 3s because of quality issues

upload_2019-8-19_11-14-47.png

Here is a proof of evidence that Fred is watching but doing nothing.

upload_2019-8-19_11-17-16.png

Also Germany has some issues too.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

upload_2019-8-19_11-38-31.png

Last edited:
Reactions: KenC
You like making big claims without having real data to back it up. C'mon man..

When do I ever make big claims?

I mean, heck, I can see some of the smaller issues with my own car! In fact, I can see an issue in the above video that the guy didn't even notice! Why did I even notice it? Because my car also has this issue of the rubber gasket coming loose.

I also don't have paint where the door opens, whether that's considered a defect or not...

Again, love the car, but it has some fit/finish issues.
Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 10.41.02 AM.png

When do I ever make big claims?

I mean, heck, I can see some of the smaller issues with my own car! In fact, I can see an issue in the above video that the guy didn't even notice! Why did I even notice it? Because my car also has this issue of the rubber gasket coming loose.

I also don't have paint where the door opens, whether that's considered a defect or not...

Again, love the car, but it has some fit/finish issues. View attachment 445143

This is what you said yesterday in a different thread "Don’t need snow to trash the rockers. I’ve been wearing mine down in 1,500 miles of driving in Seattle in the summer" but didn't have any pictures to back it up and then replied later saying only a few rock chips.

Wear and tear on my model 3 is no different than the other cars I've owned. Just because you see issues on a few it doesn't mean "Tesla has waaaaay too many issues with them, some small, some large - still too many." It may be true but have the #s to back it up if you're going to say something like that. Silly.

View attachment 445170
This is what you said yesterday in a different thread "Don’t need snow to trash the rockers. I’ve been wearing mine down in 1,500 miles of driving in Seattle in the summer" but didn't have any pictures to back it up and then replied later saying only a few rock chips.

Wear and tear on my model 3 is no different than the other cars I've owned. Just because you see issues on a few it doesn't mean "Tesla has waaaaay too many issues with them, some small, some large - still too many." It may be true but have the #s to back it up if you're going to say something like that. Silly.

No it's not silly, I'm sorry. When I had my 2008 STI, there was some damage caused by (hey, guess what?) Seattle roads to my rear doors from the front tires. Lots of people experienced that issue, because of the way the rear doors flared - those doors were getting sandblasted. Subaru started putting PPF on those rear doors for ALL new STIs, - essentially admitting the error.

Let's not pretend Tesla is all perfection. Wear and tear expectation is definitely different on a car that cost me over $70k to any car I've owned that cost a lot less than $70k. Even setting aside expectation, I WAS wearing down my rockers until I put mudflaps on. I'd be happy to take some pictures, - quite a few small chips in the paint - that show up white on my black paint.

Also, I really do think it's CRAP (yes, CRAP) that behind the doors there's no paint - just primer. Heck, my neighbor just bought a new Subaru Legacy base model, and I spent ages going over the paint and it's LEAGUES better than the Tesla paint. Now, I'm not talking paint quality (which is also better on the Legacy). I'm just speaking simply of paint COVERAGE. Unless you actually think a $70k car should not have paint between the rear and front doors...?

For the record, the issues with my black 3P+ car from the factory:

1.) Way too many paint nibs.
2.) Too many unpolished wet-sanded areas (at least 10 or 15 of them. Thankfully they're not super noticeable). And this stuff happens not just on my black car. I'm attaching a picture from the Fremont Factory Tour where I snapped a pic of a Midnight Silver Metallic 3P+ test-drive vehicle which has the same issue!
3.) My accelerator pedal was dented in the aluminum in two places.
4.) My steering wheel squeaked (common complaint).
5.) Some debris in the center brake-light housing.
6.) My chrome on the passenger side rear door doesn't quite meet the piece behind it so there's a small gap. Minor annoyance, and I can't bring myself to have Tesla try and fix it for fear of them breaking something.

None of these are deal-breaking, but I'd prefer to have a level of attention to detail befitting a car that cost me a fortune.

Again, I love my Tesla. It's EASILY the best car I've ever owned, and I'd buy one even if the whole care were covered in paint-less primer! But I'm not going to give them a pass for stuff that's just not great.

NccYIljMTUqBs2q7DdXM7Q.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: 1 person
“Silly” in my opinion is better used to describe a car manufacturer repeatedly not properly painting bumpers, door jambs, rockers, trunk hinge areas, etc.

“Silly” is Tesla obviously not having a proper final QA inspection procedure.

“Silly” could also be used to describe the “fanboy” approach that everything is just fine. IT ISN”T.

Owners pointing out legitimate issues about their Tesla cars is specifically NOT “Silly”

Please realize I love my new Stealth but the lack of Tesla QA on appearance issues does detract from my enjoyment and my car’s perceived quality by both myself and others.

“Silly” in my opinion is better used to describe a car manufacturer repeatedly not properly painting bumpers, door jambs, rockers, trunk hinge areas, etc.

“Silly” is Tesla obviously not having a proper final QA inspection procedure.

“Silly” could also be used to describe the “fanboy” approach that everything is just fine. IT ISN”T.

Owners pointing out legitimate issues about their Tesla cars is specifically NOT “Silly”

Please realize I love my new Stealth but the lack of Tesla QA on appearance issues does detract from my enjoyment and my car’s perceived quality by both myself and others.

Obviously you didn't read what I wrote. It's totally fine to point out legitimate issues but to say x car manufacturer is crap because three people reported paint issues is just dumb(example). I bet I can go find flaws on any car if I searched hard enough.

NQva - Hello - three people reported paint issues?

Unfortunately it’s a LOT more common issue than you think.

If owners don’t bother holding Tesla accountable for their lack of QA then we will reduce the chance of them actually correcting the problem.

I missed something, somewhere. The last I read you took delivery in Paramus and your car was about to go in for PPF treatment. Did you find problems with your car after delivery? Sorry if this is covered somewhere else. Just point me there in that case.