TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 paint wearing off

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by Dyberry, Mar 20, 2019.

1. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

Yup - The fenders are slightly inward of the rocker panel/side skirts. It's hard to tell visually, but you can feel it...

I'm going to take them off since I have Xpel PPF anyway.

2. pawsonkeyboard

What company made those mud flaps?

Thank you so much for the photos man! Just wondering with the z tape is it positioned like the photo below?
    mudflap1.jpeg

3. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

The z seals were for the doors. I was trying an experiment to see if the extra seals would help with the sound insulation. I didn't do a before and after comparison with a sound meter, so I don't know if it's doing anything at all. I will say it has kept the water from reaching the door sills when I wash the car.

4. jebinc

jebinc M3 LR AWD w/FSD and white premium interior

And keeps the sills clean from dirt! I love the seal, if for no other reason than keeping the sills clean!

5. pawsonkeyboard

Ah okay. I'm going to try these out
    https://www.amazon.com/VHB-Adhesive-5952-Automotive-Industrial/dp/B00MAT2WZU/?tag=tmc064-20
    Thanks for all the help man :D

6. jebinc

• Like x 1
  7. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

Cool !! Let us know how the install goes.

BTW - I had contacted the eBay seller about the fitment of the front flaps and they already sent out a new set and apologized for the problems. The rears fit tight, much like @jebinc above.

• Like x 1
  8. pawsonkeyboard

:D

Will do, my car will arrive on the 12th.

Good to know, I'm going to make sure they are snug on mine too.

9. jebinc

My picture was of the fronts. BTW, I took them off yesterday and applied PPF that I cut to match the flap contour. Can’t even tell it’s there as it extends past the flap edge by about 1/8”. :)

10. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

I know, was just using as an example of how tight the fit was for the rears - similar to your fronts. The ebay seller already shipped me a replacement set. No questions asked and a heartfelt apology for my inconvenience.

11. jebinc

Cool! I edited my post above while you were quoting it here.

12. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

Nice !! I like how easy they are to un-install... Also, more peace of mind with the PPF.

13. jebinc

Easy. The whole job took me less than an hour. It was a nice quiet cool sunny morning, so it was quite an enjoyable experience.

14. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

I'm jealous of your summer weather, BTW...

15. jebinc

Yes, it has been a very pleasant and mild summer this year. No wild fire smoke from Canada or CA this year either!

16. AdamVIP

AdamVIP Member

That's because its been too hot. Wait till October when the homeless start fires for warmth at night.

• Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  17. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

This has started to get some news attention: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/vehicles-defects-paint-toyota-1.4814545

But it took ~12 years of f'ed up painting to get here.

18. ricohman

ricohman Member

Toyota will never repair that. GM, Ford and Dodge sure didn't. All blamed it on the new paint restrictions. Gm did state that an electromagnetic primer did not work correctly and the surface treatment of the raw metal also was poor due to the chemicals used.
    I was a mechanic at a GM dealer at the time the paint started to peel. Some were covered some were not.
    It was a sad state of affairs.

19. pawsonkeyboard

I only have summer here lol. And occasional monsoon weather.

20. Johnathansmith

Do YOU HAVE or HAD Paint Issues with Tesla? Has anyone did a Tesla Paint Dispute Resolution with NCDS (National Center for Dispute Settlement)!

I am looking to find others that had Tesla Model 3 paint issues and got the dispute worked out with using NCDS.
    I am just in the starting stages of my dispute and I am looking on data to use to show that so many others are also having this issues. What I would like to ask from everyone is two things.

1) Please log your paint issues on my form so I can use it as data to show that others are having paint issues and what are the issues Are you having Tesla Paint Issues

2) You should open a claim with the NCDS to get your paint issues fixed
    NCDS - Home

I been doing a lot of research on the paint issues and it would be great if I can please get everyone paint issue data into the system so I can see any pattens.. Thanks

If you know of any cases please let me know
    Thanks

• Informative x 3