Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps some of you aren't Tesla investors or aware of the history, but I wouldn't get too happy about being featured in an article by Edward Niedermeyer. A well-known Tesla muckspreader. That isn't going to get Tesla to pay attention I'm afraid, they'd need an unbiased source for that. I am saying this as somebody who is both a Tesla investor and somebody with an interest in this issue - and I can absolutely understand the frustration regarding this issue.

I can say that there a news coming more not just from Thedrive. I am working on it.

Here is newest publication @ Finland. Most valued car magazine just published today related model 3 paint issues.

Tekniikan Maailma

--

Tekniikan Maailma - Wikipedia

-- Joni

That's good to see. I do admire the effort and I hope something can be done if it's a widespread problem and ongoing issue! I say this as somebody looking to buy one towards the end of next year most likely. I had never actually considered PPF on a car before seeing this thread. Where I drive it's not likely to be such an issue, but even so it would really annoy me to see my nice new paint in this sort of state.

Reactions: Johnii__82
Perhaps some of you aren't Tesla investors or aware of the history, but I wouldn't get too happy about being featured in an article by Edward Niedermeyer. A well-known Tesla muckspreader. That isn't going to get Tesla to pay attention I'm afraid, they'd need an unbiased source for that. I am saying this as somebody who is both a Tesla investor and somebody with an interest in this issue - and I can absolutely understand the frustration regarding this issue.
Sorry, didn't know he was a muckraker. I try to avoid them.

I'm not really a Tesla investor, though I did make $10k holding shares for less than a minute, back at the end of Sept! Recall when Elon got sued by the SEC? I bought 200 shares in the last 10secs of Friday, and sold at the open on Monday, after Elon settled. I only had the available cash because that was the week Tesla carpetbombed people with orders who wanted to take delivery in the next 5 days before quarter-end. I pulled out $55k ready to pay, and then found out it was nonsense. I had 2 and a half more months to wait. It went down a little easier knowing Tesla's goof led to my making $10k.

• Informative
Reactions: EVMeister
Wonder if something like this aftermarket Novitec piece would actually resolve the rocker paint damage issue.

Tesla Model 3 gets amped-up Novitec visuals — CNET

IF this was available with integrated small mud flap, didn’t substantially lower mileage AND was available for a reasonable cost wouldn’t a lot of Model 3 owners be interested?
Sure, but an integrated rocker cover is something that should have come with the car. Covering the rocker and installing a small mud flap is exactly what I and many others have already done, though I used PPF and installed the small carbon fiber mudflaps. Others have installed larger mudflaps and foregone the PPF.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-08-06 13.22.50.jpg
    Screenshot 2019-08-06 13.22.50.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 156
  • Screenshot 2019-08-06 13.23.20.jpg
    Screenshot 2019-08-06 13.23.20.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 133
  • Screenshot 2019-08-06 13.24.23.jpg
    Screenshot 2019-08-06 13.24.23.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 126
I agree that Tesla should have included rocker coverage but I’m looking for real options for my new White Stealth.

Current plan is to have a full front PPF done ($$$$) + an additional $300+ for PPF rocker coverage plus another $100 for mud flaps.

IF the Novitec rocker covers were available right now they might be a much better solution than PPF rocker coverage.

Surely other companies or Tesla themselves should be able to make these covers available for a reasonable cost if there is enough demand.

Reactions: TheMrX
Wow. It seems really that this is factory & production error.

Friend ( Dirty Tesla from youtube ) just published his video @ 18.000 mileage driving dirt roads etc without PPF + MUDGUARDS.

If you compare this video @ 28.000 km. Hes vin is around 121.xxxx and he got in on october 2018.

To my video @ 5441 km you understand that something has went terribly wrong @ 2019 january & february tesla fremont paint shop.
My vin: 224547 is produced 8.2.2019 and my friend had 217.xxx VIN it was produced on 21.1.2019. I got my car 29.3.2019 and noticed paint wearing off in 29.4.2019 ( after 2100 km. ).

Also here are the photos from my car @ 1300 miles.
Tesla Model 3 after 1300 miles - Google Drive

BTW. Not to mention the primer issue.... it will be another problem for tesla!

• Informative
Reactions: TQCLove and KenC
Can you be more precisely? Multi-coat if it is not dryed ( baked ) well it can be very soft paint & damaged easily.

We think Elon Musk changed the base color because of us from BLACK --> WHITE MULTI-COAT

We can't see any other option for this change.

Tesla changes its standard paint color from black to white - Electrek

As I understand it, the multi-coat paint has a greater number of layers and should be more resistant to damage. So I'm interested in whether the "Dirty Tesla" car was in better condition than yours because it had a multi-coat paint. Or whether it is simply down to it not being manufactured in that troublesome window that you've indentified. Are there other Model 3s in a similar condition to yours that have a multi-coat paint?

As I understand it, the multi-coat paint has a greater number of layers and should be more resistant to damage. So I'm interested in whether the "Dirty Tesla" car was in better condition than yours because it had a multi-coat paint. Or whether it is simply down to it not being manufactured in that troublesome window that you've indentified. Are there other Model 3s in a similar condition to yours that have a multi-coat paint?

Yes. In canada but my solid black paint does have only very thin coating. ;( ( It is not multi-coat )

• Informative
Reactions: EVMeister
Interesting, DirtyTesla definitely abuses his car driving fast on dirt roads! And his car is definitely showing wear, but I would consider that pretty normal wear given his driving conditions. Most of the rocker wear is just the topcoat.

Having said that, he did not look carefully at the bottom edge where the rocker meets the plastic gray rocker. That's where it appears his paint and primer was worn off and some rust can be seen, starting at 4:41s. Also, the gap showing the bottom edge of the front quarter panel, and even the bottom edge of the door show a lot of paint gone, down to the primer and even some rust.

So, not nearly as bad as Johnii's car, definitely worn, but given his driving conditions, I would consider that normal wear. He clearly isn't a nitpicker and is willing to tolerate a fair amount wear and tear, probably because he knows how he mistreated his car!
Wow. It seems really that this is factory & production error.

Friend ( Dirty Tesla from youtube ) just published his video @ 18.000 mileage driving dirt roads etc without PPF + MUDGUARDS.

If you compare this video @ 28.000 km. Hes vin is around 121.xxxx and he got in on october 2018.

To my video @ 5441 km you understand that something has went terribly wrong @ 2019 january & february tesla fremont paint shop.
My vin: 224547 is produced 8.2.2019 and my friend had 217.xxx VIN it was produced on 21.1.2019. I got my car 29.3.2019 and noticed paint wearing off in 29.4.2019 ( after 2100 km. ).

Also here are the photos from my car @ 1300 miles.
Tesla Model 3 after 1300 miles - Google Drive

BTW. Not to mention the primer issue.... it will be another problem for tesla!