Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 parking sensor - no audible warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i JUST picked up my model 3 from Fremont. Was testing it in the parking lot and noticed that while backing up, the parking sensors picked up distance but there was no audible warning like with my model S. Is this normal or an error with my sensors? Tesla delivery rep says it’s an upcoming feature to be delivered via OTA update. I would have thought that the audible warning would be a standard feature. Anyone else have a similar experience with their M3??

i JUST picked up my model 3 from Fremont. Was testing it in the parking lot and noticed that while backing up, the parking sensors picked up distance but there was no audible warning like with my model S. Is this normal or an error with my sensors? Tesla delivery rep says it’s an upcoming feature to be delivered via OTA update. I would have thought that the audible warning would be a standard feature. Anyone else have a similar experience with their M3??

Ours beeps prominently. You sure it isn’t muted? I know it can be muted on the S. Can’t remember if I saw that on the 3.

This drives my wife crazy. She traded in her Lexus IS 350 F-Sport and when that thing was in reverse, it warned any time there was movement behind her - even from far away to let her know someone was walking and/or driving closer to her. Seems like the M3 doesn't really do much anything unless you're within inches to the car. By that point I would consider a person hit already. Would be nice if it was overly sensitive for much farther away when in reverse.

I really wish it beeped more responsively and progressively like most cars. It basically gives you one "DONG" when you are _somewhat_ near an object. Whereas most cars are instant, "beep......beep......beep..beep..be-be-be-be"

i consider it basically useless and I rely on the camera.

I really wish it beeped more responsively and progressively like most cars. It basically gives you one "DONG" when you are _somewhat_ near an object. Whereas most cars are instant, "beep......beep......beep..beep..be-be-be-be"

I rely on the measurement countdown. It is spot on for walls, fences and high curbs. With low curbs it can sometimes go blind but usually within 20" or so.

Reactions: C141medic
I rely on the measurement countdown. It is spot on for walls, fences and high curbs. With low curbs it can sometimes go blind but usually within 20" or so.

The measurement countdown is great. That's why I dont understand why the chime is not as responsive. My Audi had only a chime and not camera, which allowed my senses to multitask - eyes looking around me, ears hearing how far I am in the back. Never bumped one thing of 70,000 miles of parallel parking in LA.

I actually just disabled the chimes on the Model 3, because its just giving me false readings and not healthy for my brain training. By the time it DONGs, ive usually blown past that point. Now I just use my eyes 100% and my brain doesn't have to think "Ok, the DONG means you're already X distance from where it chimed"

Yeah, it does alert with fixed objects when you get within 24" of them like in the garage. But if you're backing out of a parking space with large vehicles on both sides, it needs to be hyper sensitive that something is coming like other vehicles. It's different than the alerts where you're close to something in the garage that is not moving. Sometimes you look and start to move but because something is moving fast, you won't ever see it. Sometimes things happen that quickly and having something that is more responsive to things moving while backing up would be a big plus.

The tone of the beep changes of objects are closer. Isn't that the same thing, just executed differently? I back into my garage daily and it works exactly as I would want it to

I think what people are looking for is how my wife previous car worked which was a Lexus IS 350 F-Sport. If she was backing out of the drive way and another car was coming down the street, it would alert when the car was still 20-30' away because it was moving toward us. Same thing with someone walking on the sidewalk. It would alert when they were about 10-15' away. This give you time to react and such. Right now when it beeps its so close there is next to zero time to react. If it started to beep when someone was 30 inches away as it seems to be now, I'd consider that person or car hit by the time the person reacted. Similar features but very different purposes IMO.

Yeah, it does alert with fixed objects when you get within 24" of them like in the garage. But if you're backing out of a parking space with large vehicles on both sides, it needs to be hyper sensitive that something is coming like other vehicles. It's different than the alerts where you're close to something in the garage that is not moving. Sometimes you look and start to move but because something is moving fast, you won't ever see it. Sometimes things happen that quickly and having something that is more responsive to things moving while backing up would be a big plus.

It also uses the same sound for all directions. Super confusing if you are backing out thinking "Ok that's because I'm too close to the fence next to me, I'll ignore it" but NOPE! it was because someone was on the sidewalk behind you.

Needs to be seriously re-thought, IMO.