Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Model 3 passed all regulatory requirements for production two weeks ahead of schedule."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We do not know for certain if the Model 3 Performance version will be built first or not, as far as I know. But since the first cars will be RWD, I assume they will not be the Performance version since on the S/X that means Dual Motors. But the Model 3 could be different...
Point of clarification / history...
For Model S, the first Performance cars were RWD. For Model X, there were no RWD cars. TBA for M3.

There is no configuration page needed where they are only building one configuration.
You won't bigger rims? No problem, sir, just come back next month we will have a special offer for you....

Not quite true. Elon stated that while you'd only get to choose paint color and wheels, they'll show the near future options too and about when to expect those. So for folks who want things like AWD, performance, a different roof, or different interior (all just guesses as to first round of options), they'll be able to see when they can get in on that action if they want to wait.

My guess is that they're confident enough in the package they're offering on day one that a large portion of folks in the queue are going to be happy as a clam snapping those up. And the rest of us who want other options and can wait, will wait :)

This is the beginning of the end for Model S. As much as Elon wants to upsell the Model S, the Model 3 is a Model S for half the price.

Model 3 = 5 star safety, same or better driving experience, better interior ergonomics, 300+ mile range for the 75 kWh, similar interior space, etc. Model S has speed, but the M3 is plenty fast enough for day to day driving.

This is the beginning of the end for Model S. As much as Elon wants to upsell the Model S, the Model 3 is a Model S for half the price.

Model 3 = 5 star safety, same or better driving experience, better interior ergonomics, 300+ mile range for the 75 kWh, similar interior space, etc. Model S has speed, but the M3 is plenty fast enough for day to day driving.

No way. The S will always have better technology (per Elon) and is a bigger car. If you think the 3 will have the same interior space as the S you either have never been in an S or are going to be very disappointed. My S can hold more stuff than my wife's Volvo SUV.

No way. The S will always have better technology (per Elon) and is a bigger car. If you think the 3 will have the same interior space as the S you either have never been in an S or are going to be very disappointed. My S can hold more stuff than my wife's Volvo SUV.

Sure, I don't doubt the S can hold more stuff, since it's a hatchback. But right now, it doesn't have any superior technology. And in terms of interior ergonomics and comfort, the 3 will likely be superior. Elon has said the 3's driving experience is enhanced by the shorter front.

Yeah, I never really understood what "better" technology means here. Yes, the S has two screens but they'll both have autopilot capability, parking sensors, maps, music. What's left?

Remember, they can't leave too much out of the 3 as they are also competing with the Audi A4 and BMW 3-Series... at least in terms of potential customer base.

The opening of the configurator will help solve this but right now, I can only see space, range (??) and speed as differences.