Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@beachmiles I joined the forums just to comment on this post, as I've also been looking to take out the dead pedal but was hesitant to do so and hadn't seen any precedent for it. I get very tight muscles in my lower left back and leg while driving my 3 (which I recently got) and have had a hunch for a while now that if I could stretch my left leg out more that it would help.

Did you hit any stumbling blocks that you might warn others about? Is any part of the process irreversible? It sounds like there's adhesive between the block and the carpet that you have to rip through to get the block off (which isn't really "irreversible" since you can reapply adhesive, I suppose) but that everything else is just trim panels and pop rivets.

Reactions: beachmiles
No permanent damage done, just popped the panels and seperated the dead pedal glued to the carpet.

Seperating the foam dead pedal from the carpet bottom that was the most stressful part. But once I realized it was just some glue that was seperating fairly easily it wasnt so bad.
I think I got at least an inch of extra space but to really get the total space back with the old thin dead pedal cover covering the space because the carpet there has a couple holes for this cover to connect to the foam dead pedal.
We will prob have to make a small vertical slice in the carpet to allow it to sit more flush against the metal cabin behind the carpet. The carpet was formed around the deadpedal so it doesn't really flex down, was hoping a couple weeks of driving would have pushed it in a tad but that hasn't happened.

The other thing is the left plastic panel only extends to where the dead pedal used to stick out so that extra inch of room means there is an inch gap there. Going to try and make some kind of 3d printable extension piece that would connect like the old dead pedal or something.

Reactions: Hangerr
I too find the "dead pedal" sticks out way too far and I have to kind of rest my left foot in a curled position just left of the brake making sure I dont touch it otherwise I get the pressing both pedals alert. I already have the floor mat removed to give me an extra 1/4 inch of foot room with my seat all the way back and the steering wheel all the way out (wish it extended another 2 inches)

I'm 6'4 with size 14 shoes so unfortunately normal sized humans dont have to deal with these issues.

Frustrated I investigated and managed to fairly easily pop off the plastic dead pedal revealing a large semi-hollow hard foam piece underneath with carpet over it. I could shake the entire foam chunk as 1 piece so It may be easy to remove completely (or cut in half after removed). It looks like it is semi glued to the carpet through so I wasnt quite ready to just rip it off without peeling the carpet completely back to see exactly what I'm dealing with.
Did you ever make a video on how you did this? I want to remove this beast from my 2019 M3 SR+ soooooo bad. Same size as you and it kills my left knee.

No permanent damage done, just popped the panels and seperated the dead pedal glued to the carpet.

Seperating the foam dead pedal from the carpet bottom that was the most stressful part. But once I realized it was just some glue that was seperating fairly easily it wasnt so bad.
I think I got at least an inch of extra space but to really get the total space back with the old thin dead pedal cover covering the space because the carpet there has a couple holes for this cover to connect to the foam dead pedal.
We will prob have to make a small vertical slice in the carpet to allow it to sit more flush against the metal cabin behind the carpet. The carpet was formed around the deadpedal so it doesn't really flex down, was hoping a couple weeks of driving would have pushed it in a tad but that hasn't happened.

The other thing is the left plastic panel only extends to where the dead pedal used to stick out so that extra inch of room means there is an inch gap there. Going to try and make some kind of 3d printable extension piece that would connect like the old dead pedal or something.
Literally did this today, what a difference for a 6'4" driver with size 15 feet! What a worthless addition to the car, it consumed 3-4 inches of available room. You posted back in 2019, how did you remedy the carpet problem of it being kind of bunched up? Did you 3D print a portion to cover the panel gap? Still running your Model 3 with this improvement?

Literally did this today, what a difference for a 6'4" driver with size 15 feet! What a worthless addition to the car, it consumed 3-4 inches of available room. You posted back in 2019, how did you remedy the carpet problem of it being kind of bunched up? Did you 3D print a portion to cover the panel gap? Still running your Model 3 with this improvement?
I never took the time to make something but am still running with the mod. Maybe some thin flexible black plastic cutting board could be cut to size and slide in behind the other panel and use some kind of silicone glue that could be easily removed to keep it from moving?

Glad you had success and have some more room for your left leg. I have come close to ripping out the center console and try and shrink it down so it's flush with my seat bottom to give some room for my right knee. I ended up removing the center console armrest and replacing it with a cheap cover, kinda ghetto but i like it better.

I also strategically placed some of these cushions to push my lower leg inwards to remove some of the pressure of my right knee against the center console.

Wish Tesla and car companies in general would stop making center consoles bigger ever year, EVs especially with no drive shaft. Thank god Hyundai and Kia are starting to do this. I almost sold my Tesla for the EV5 just for the fact that the center console is almost totally removed.