Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance 0-200kph (124mph) times available?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,

I'm going to sell my 436hp Audi RS3 8V and buy a P3D.

The Audi does 0-100kph (62mph) in 3.6s with launch control and 0-200kph (124mph) in 13,6s.
So 100-200kph roughly takes 10s in general.

I was wondering if there are any 0-200 / 100-200 times for the P3D?

I assume that the Audi will be significantly faster above 200kph and the P3D won't hit 308kph like the RS3, but I think I'll take the instant torque and acceleration and good mix between insane power and quiet commuting in contrast to the RS3's constant "I WANT TO DOWNSHIFT, SCREAM AND BLAST!!" attitude :) You can't drive quiet and slow and then decide to blast away NOW - the car will downshift 2-4 gears, spin the turbo up and then kick you in the back. Driving in Dynamic mode with the "ready to go gear" all the time is stressful, loud and people honestly think you are bananas while driving through the city :) I've had that for 2 years now, time to be quiet and go green.

But I do love the acceleration. So I'd be really happy if the 100-200 difference would be negligible but I've seen no tests so far.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: jbcarioca
Motor Trend tested the 3P to 120 mph (193 kph) in about 13.3s. Extrapolating the data, it looks like it'd hit 200 kph in ~14.2s. 100-200kph looks like ~10.6s.

Model-3-DMP-Acceleration.jpg

2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor Performance Quick Test Review - Motor Trend

I also moved from an Audi (2013 S6) to an M3P.

The Tesla is WAY quicker and faster than the Audi up to about 110 mph.
M3P 0-60 mph = 3.2 seconds. Audi = 3.9 seconds.
M3P 30-70 mph = 3.4 seconds (!!!). Audi = 5.8 seconds
M3P 0-100 mph = 8.6 seconds. Audi = 9.8 seconds.

Above that speed, the Audi gains and according to Car and Driver, both cars hit 130 mph (209 kph) in 17.1 seconds.

I also moved from an Audi (2013 S6) to an M3P.

The Tesla is WAY quicker and faster than the Audi up to about 110 mph.
M3P 0-60 mph = 3.2 seconds. Audi = 3.9 seconds.
M3P 30-70 mph = 3.4 seconds (!!!). Audi = 5.8 seconds
M3P 0-100 mph = 8.6 seconds. Audi = 9.8 seconds.

Above that speed, the Audi gains and according to Car and Driver, both cars hit 130 mph (209 kph) in 17.1 seconds.

I would also imagine the audi would require you to "launch" it to get 3.9 seconds, just like pretty much any other performance type ICE car.. rather than just "mashing the go pedal".

The acceleration in EVs is much much (MUCH) more "accessible" than in ICE cars. Some would say thats good, others would lament the lack of "driver engagement". I thought I would miss the "roar" of ICE engines under acceleration much more than I do, actually.

The RS3 will do 3.6 only with launch control.
Drivemode dynamic, S-tronic in sport, ESP off, hit breaks, hit full throttle, release gas after 1-2s.
The show effect and drama is nice the first few times. But after that it's just stress and hustle and you never do it on a regular basis...
Just hitting the gas pedal results in 4.3-4.5s 0-100kph. So the P3D will be the better car to 150kph easily. Just Autobahn speed is another level. But even the P100D will loose against any RS or M car above 200kph. But I'm fine with that.
I'wont miss the sound though.. you always draw peoples attention, I'm done with that one :)

Yes, my S6 also required launch control to hit that sub-4.0 second 0-60 mph figure, so it wasn't very practical for use/demonstration on the street. The Model 3 will produce those results every time, with no preparation necessary.

The other item worth mentioning is that time to SPEED isn't the same thing as time to DISTANCE. Stoplight drag races are won by time to DISTANCE, and in that measure, the Model 3 is virtually untouchable by any ICE vehicle this side of a supercar. :)

Yes, my S6 also required launch control to hit that sub-4.0 second 0-60 mph figure, so it wasn't very practical for use/demonstration on the street. The Model 3 will produce those results every time, with no preparation necessary.

The other item worth mentioning is that time to SPEED isn't the same thing as time to DISTANCE. Stoplight drag races are won by time to DISTANCE, and in that measure, the Model 3 is virtually untouchable by any ICE vehicle this side of a supercar. :)

I'm wondering if there are supercars (except Bugatti and Koenigsegg maybe) that achieve sub 4s 0-60mph / 0-100kph without launch control? Since it's either turbo charged or high rev engines - both require some time to get going from idle.

I'm wondering if there are supercars (except Bugatti and Koenigsegg maybe) that achieve sub 4s 0-60mph / 0-100kph without launch control? Since it's either turbo charged or high rev engines - both require some time to get going from idle.

The American magazine “Car and Driver” actually publishes “Street Start” figures in their test results. This is a figure for a 5-60 mph sprint achieved by simply going full throttle from a 5 mph roll...

Most cars are 0.3-1.0 second slower in this test, but not the Model 3.

The American magazine “Car and Driver” actually publishes “Street Start” figures in their test results. This is a figure for a 5-60 mph sprint achieved by simply going full throttle from a 5 mph roll...

Most cars are 0.3-1.0 second slower in this test, but not the Model 3.
C&D calls it a Rolling Start 5-60 mph test, but some people confuse that name with the 1' rollout mistakenly used in a 0-60mph test.

Here's some C&D data I compiled about 3 years ago. C&D tested the Model 3 LR and got 5.1sec on both tests, consistent with other EVs. They haven't tested or published results for the Model 3 P.

0ZvfZG5.png

ovTpxKA.png

AFAIK, Model 3 P was 3.5 0-60 when released but increased via update to 3.2 or 3.3... am I mis remembering that?

They changed how they measure- the car didn't actually get any faster.

Historically, and deceptively, Tesla included rollout on P models for the S/X, but not regular ones, when reporting 0-60 times.

Initially they were NOT repeating this mistake with the 3, being more honest and reporting the same "real" 0-60 for all models... but have since reversed course and now use the less honest method they've been using on the S/X.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
They changed how they measure- the car didn't actually get any faster...
Initially they were NOT repeating this mistake with the 3, being more honest and reporting the same "real" 0-60 for all models... but have since reversed course and now use the less honest method they've been using on the S/X.

Who's "they"? Tesla?? These are car magazine and owner-reported numbers I'm referencing. Now, Tesla may have updated their claims after multiple sources demonstrated that the P3D is quicker than Tesla's initial claim but that's not dishonest, it's reality. in the US at least.

We can argue about whether "rollout" should be included or not, but that's been the NHRA/IHRA standard for decades, so that's why American magazines/testers report that way - for consistency.

Who's "they"? Tesla?? These are car magazine and owner-reported numbers I'm referencing.

Yes, They is Tesla.

the car mag numbers use rollout- but they use it for ALL cars they test- Tesla dishonestly is only using it for P models.

Now, Tesla may have updated their claims after multiple sources demonstrated that the P3D is quicker than Tesla's initial claim but that's not dishonest, it's reality. in the US at least.

No, it's dishonest. By Tesla specifically.

Since they ONLY do that for P models.

We can argue about whether "rollout" should be included or not, but that's been the NHRA/IHRA standard for decades, so that's why American magazines/testers report that way - for consistency.

Again- see above. Tesla is intentionally posting numbers to not be consistent between P and non-P models.

The P isn't 1.2 seconds quicker than the AWD, it's 1 second quicker. But you wouldn't know that from the way Tesla now advertises the numbers. Because they use a dishonest method of reporting.

They didn't, originally, for the 3 (but always did for the S/X). I had hoped the fact they weren't being dishonest with the 3 was a good sign of a change.

But then they reversed course and switched back to the same dishonest reporting as with S/X.

Hope that clears things up for you.

tesla.com

Or- since Tesla has actually made it hard (maybe impossible) to directly link to this disclaimer anymore...but here's a thread from about a year and a half ago discussing the fact Tesla deceptively includes rollout for P model S, but NOT the non-P models...including in post #20 a screen shot of their own disclaimer about this.

That Motor Trend 1 foot rollout

Tesla.com said:
Model S Performance base option acceleration ratings follow Motor Trend's test procedure of subtracting the first foot rollout time to represent drag strip performance

The non-performance models get no such disclaimer on their posted times.

So unlike all other car makers, Tesla is intentionally NOT consistent between trims of the car in order to make the P look quicker than it really is compared to non-P models.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: juanmedina
tesla.com

Or- since Tesla has actually made it hard (maybe impossible) to directly link to this disclaimer anymore...but here's a thread from about a year and a half ago discussing the fact Tesla deceptively includes rollout for P model S, but NOT the non-P models...including in post #20 a screen shot of their own disclaimer about this.

That Motor Trend 1 foot rollout

The non-performance models get no such disclaimer on their posted times.

So unlike all other car makers, Tesla is intentionally NOT consistent between trims of the car in order to make the P look quicker than it really is compared to non-P models.

The midrage model 3 is faster than what Tesla claims..... damn you Tesla with your dishonesty

Reactions: Zcd1