Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance 18” rims efficiency?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve search YouTube and these forums and can’t find any test done so help me out if there is one.. We know the AWD LR model 3 has more range than the performance (with the performance upgrade). Apparently that only has to do with the tire size, (2020 performances come with 20” rims) I’m considering buying 18” inch for winter time. But i want know if any performance owners out there have switched to the Tsportline 18” rims and are actually getting the same efficiency as the normal non PErformance model 3, cause everything is the same except for the tires? Besides brake calipers and supposedly the suspension is lower on the performance, which should actually make it better with efficiency right?
anyways any owners out there who have swapped rims to 18” and are actually getting the EPA rated range?? Would love to see how big of a difference it is and if it’s worth the money.

I’ve search YouTube and these forums and can’t find any test done so help me out if there is one.. We know the AWD LR model 3 has more range than the performance (with the performance upgrade). Apparently that only has to do with the tire size, (2020 performances come with 20” rims) I’m considering buying 18” inch for winter time. But i want know if any performance owners out there have switched to the Tsportline 18” rims and are actually getting the same efficiency as the normal non PErformance model 3, cause everything is the same except for the tires? Besides brake calipers and supposedly the suspension is lower on the performance, which should actually make it better with efficiency right?
anyways any owners out there who have swapped rims to 18” and are actually getting the EPA rated range?? Would love to see how big of a difference it is and if it’s worth the money.

The aero caps on the 18’s from Tesla are said to be responsible for a lot of that efficiency, possibly 5% and maybe even up to about 10%.

There should be a decent improvement from 20s down to 18s, especially if you use a low rolling resistance tire rather then a sport style tire, but I still suspect the Tesla wheel would edge out a 3rd party...

Watch this if you haven't already, good info concerning 18" wheels.

• Disagree
Reactions: WilliamG
I have the 18" T-sportlines on my Performance Model 3 for winter time. Really hard to know how much they help efficiency as they go on when the temp is consistent <40F.

On a few drives in mild temps I have seen 225 wh/mi with the 18" wheels. I never see this level of efficiency with the 20" wheels, best case is around 250Wh/mi. My average lifetime efficiency is 323 wh/mi. This car sees a lot of short drives maybe one reason for the >300 average.

Tesla's own website where you can build your own model 3, now gives you the option to build a performance 3 stealth with 18 inch wheels or full performance version with 20 inch wheels. The 20 inch full performance version only gets 299 miles per Tesla versus 322 for the stealth with 18 inch wheels. Not sure how accurate that is in real life but that's about an 8% difference.