Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance 2018 vs 2020+ Differences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there, looking for some quick help to see what I should look for as I think I found a pretty good deal from a local seller who is on the move, but don't want to rush into the purchase. Mainly technology, hw/ software upgrades and build quality/ convenience features. Thanks in advance as I am a huge car guy but this is my first tesla.

Grey with white interior, upgraded roadster style rims all-weather floor mats and trunk liner, phone charger, garage door opener, mat finish center column, tire repair kit and compressor, carpool stickers, always garaged, no accidents, original owner. Enhanced Autopilot + FSD added later - It has the performance upgrade with red calipers, carbon fiber spoiler too.

No model 3s came with free supercharging correct? And all of theme already have the infotainment upgrade correct? What about HW/ FSD revisions? and sentry/dashcam? Thanks guys!

Hi there, looking for some quick help to see what I should look for as I think I found a pretty good deal from a local seller who is on the move, but don't want to rush into the purchase. Mainly technology, hw/ software upgrades and build quality/ convenience features. Thanks in advance as I am a huge car guy but this is my first tesla.

Grey with white interior, upgraded roadster style rims all-weather floor mats and trunk liner, phone charger, garage door opener, mat finish center column, tire repair kit and compressor, carpool stickers, always garaged, no accidents, original owner. Enhanced Autopilot + FSD added later - It has the performance upgrade with red calipers, carbon fiber spoiler too.

No model 3s came with free supercharging correct? And all of theme already have the infotainment upgrade correct? What about HW/ FSD revisions? and sentry/dashcam? Thanks guys!
Some model 3s came with free unlimited supercharging (performance models delivered before September of 2018), but those owners also could get it turned off and get a refund. It also didnt transfer. Translation, dont expect to buy a model 3 with free unlimited supercharging from anyone.

2018 model 3s came with HW2.5, which is NOT the latest version. Having EAP did not get anyone a hardware upgrade. If, however, the person purchased FSD the car was entitled to an upgrade to HW3.0 (source, me / my car, which is a 2018 model 3 Performance that had EAP, and later FSD purchased).

Latest computer can be checked for / verified by looking in the car. and tapping the car logo to bring up the menu, then going to software, then tapping "additional information". The latest FSD computer will say "Full self driving computer" or something like that.

All model 3s (even the ones with HW2.5 can use sentry / dashcam.

A 2018 model 3P will also come with homelink installed.

A new 2020/2021 will likely have a heated steering wheel ( the 2018 will not have this) and a 2021 will have a heatpump, as well as a battery that starts with a rated range thats higher than the 2018 had when it was new.

Also, OP, Welcome to TMC :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rmchrger
Some model 3s came with free unlimited supercharging (performance models delivered before September of 2018), but those owners also could get it turned off and get a refund. It also didnt transfer. Translation, dont expect to buy a model 3 with free unlimited supercharging from anyone.

2018 model 3s came with HW2.5, which is NOT the latest version. Having EAP did not get anyone a hardware upgrade. If, however, the person purchased FSD the car was entitled to an upgrade to HW3.0 (source, me / my car, which is a 2018 model 3 Performance that had EAP, and later FSD purchased).

Latest computer can be checked for / verified by looking in the car. and tapping the car logo to bring up the menu, then going to software, then tapping "additional information". The latest FSD computer will say "Full self driving computer" or something like that.

All model 3s (even the ones with HW2.5 can use sentry / dashcam.

A 2018 model 3P will also come with homelink installed.

A new 2020/2021 will likely have a heated steering wheel ( the 2018 will not have this) and a 2021 will have a heatpump, as well as a battery that starts with a rated range thats higher than the 2018 had when it was new.

Also, OP, Welcome to TMC :)
Thanks so much for the breakdown JJ! Have the suspension components changed at all? I saw that the rear seats were revised but that doesn't matter too much to me. Also, how do I know if it has the track pack/ v2? It comes with red brakes, 4S's and the spoiler.

Thanks so much for the breakdown JJ! Have the suspension components changed at all? I saw that the rear seats were revised but that doesn't matter too much to me. Also, how do I know if it has the track pack/ v2? It comes with red brakes, 4S's and the spoiler.

All performance model 3s come with the track pack. The spoiler and red brakes do not "necessarily" mean the vehicle is a performance one. People can and do all sorts of stuff aftermarket, even on teslas. You can verify its a performance model 3 in the software by having the person show you a picture of the screen you get to when you (in the car) tap the car icon, and select software. Its the same place that shows the odometer and has a picture of the car with the previously mentioned "additional information" link.

If the car is a performance one, it will have the words "dual motor" along with a red underline beneath them, on the screen. The badge on the back of the car can be bought, so that isnt proof. I have yet to see anyone have a red underline on a model 3 showing in the software and not have a performance model 3.

If its a real performance, it will have track mode.

Based on your description of the vehicle, I would expect that the person is charging somewhat of a premium for the one you are looking at, vs other ones that are similar, so as long as they are not trying to scam you, its likely its an actual performance.

Another thing to consider that I don't think was mentioned is premium connectivity. My 2019 Model 3 has premium connectivity included so you can use the cars cellular connection to stream Netflix, Spotify, etc. and use the satellite layer on the map. The later Model 3s require a subscription fee.

All performance model 3s come with the track pack. The spoiler and red brakes do not "necessarily" mean the vehicle is a performance one. People can and do all sorts of stuff aftermarket, even on teslas. You can verify its a performance model 3 in the software by having the person show you a picture of the screen you get to when you (in the car) tap the car icon, and select software. Its the same place that shows the odometer and has a picture of the car with the previously mentioned "additional information" link.

If the car is a performance one, it will have the words "dual motor" along with a red underline beneath them, on the screen. The badge on the back of the car can be bought, so that isnt proof. I have yet to see anyone have a red underline on a model 3 showing in the software and not have a performance model 3.

If its a real performance, it will have track mode.

Based on your description of the vehicle, I would expect that the person is charging somewhat of a premium for the one you are looking at, vs other ones that are similar, so as long as they are not trying to scam you, its likely its an actual performance.
Thanks for the breakdown as well. I'll be taking a look at the vehicle tomorrow but here are some specs. If he didn't update to hw3.0, how much will it cost from me? I saw that they lowered the price for the infotainment upgrade recently for example (Was looking at 2016.5-17 p100Ds)

11/2018 build date
thumbnail (18).jpg
thumbnail (19).jpg

few things I can think of:

- unlimited free premium connectivity
- some cars get free supercharging
- minor stuff i.e. shopping bag hooks, mats for frunk
- no heat pump
- no heated steering wheel
- old centre console
- old seats (superior for taller/bigger people imho)
- able to fold the rear seats flat for flat load floor (if gen 1 seats)
- bigger frunk
- older AP hardware
- old headlights (no matrix led)
- no autoopening trunk
- older cars have better performance in the cold
- faster supercharging (apparently 2020+ cars supercharge a bit slower)
- slightly smaller battery - but USA 2021 performances apparenty are battery size looked anyway to like 76kwh. Imho thats still good because it limits the battery cycles. In europe i think they have 81kwh now as opposed to the 2018 model with 78kwh.
- inability to use heater/AC on one side only of the car
- ?no front foglights on the 2018 model

For the average american person who gets attracted to performance teslas the biggest issue imho is the cold performance of the new model 3s.
Apparently it is.... not fantastic. the old Model 3 with a high state of charge i.e. 90% would within a few minutes give you decent performance.
The new Model 3 struggels a) to warm the battery up due to the heat pump and b) has reduced cold performance. Even if you do warm the battery up a little bit i.e. by finishing charging before you leave you are still stuck with i.e. a 4.5s car rather than a 3.1s car. Which is a problem in the cold USA winters. Tesla did patch and improve this but afaik the issue sorta still remains a bit.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Thanks for the breakdown as well. I'll be taking a look at the vehicle tomorrow but here are some specs. If he didn't update to hw3.0, how much will it cost from me? I saw that they lowered the price for the infotainment upgrade recently for example (Was looking at 2016.5-17 p100Ds)

11/2018 build dateView attachment 684899View attachment 684900

If they upgraded to FSD later, like you mentioned in the OP of this thread, it would likely have already been done ( the HW 3 upgrade). If they purchased FSD but didnt yet do the hardware upgrade, it wouldnt cost you anything.

Enhanced Autopilot + FSD added later

If they actually DIDNT buy FSD, then I believe that cost is 4k, but I am not positive on what that would cost right now. It will be in the owners tesla app under "ugprades". Look for the red underline on the screen when you look at the software options, then tap additional information and look for "full self driving computer". That would tell you its a performance, with the full self driving computer. They also should be able to produce an invoice that shows they bought FSD. If I had to guess, I would say they likely bought it "later" for 2k like I did during the short lived firesale on it.

Just taking a guess.

Applies to cars ordered prior to July 1, 2018 for clarity... (not delivery taken- but order placed- the bit where you give them a real deposit not just the reservation fee)... this DOES transfer to new owners via private sale if you're among the folks who got it though.

There are no 3s that got this in a way that transfers to new owners though, so not relevant for resale

I'm about 98% sure this change happened before they built any Model 3s other than LR RWD... so LR AWD or P would have the started with the Gen2 seats.

AFAIK all 2018s have fog lights... all 3s did until the SRs came around in 2019... (and even the early ones there physically had em, just not working ones)

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin

- minor stuff i.e. shopping bag hooks, mats for frunk
- no heat pump
- no heated steering wheel
- old centre console
- old seats (superior for taller/bigger people imho)
- bigger frunk
- older AP hardware
- old headlights (no matrix led)
- no autoopening trunk
- older cars have better performance in the cold
- faster supercharging (apparently 2020+ cars supercharge a bit slower)
- slightly smaller battery - but USA 2021 performances apparenty are battery size looked anyway to like 76kwh. Imho thats still good because it limits the battery cycles. In europe i think they have 81kwh now as opposed to the 2018 model with 78kwh.
- inability to use heater/AC on one side only of the car

For the average american person who gets attracted to performance teslas the biggest issue imho is the cold performance of the new model 3s.
Apparently it is.... not fantastic. the old Model 3 with a high state of charge i.e. 90% would within a few minutes give you decent performance.
The new Model 3 struggels a) to warm the battery up due to the heat pump and b) has reduced cold performance. Even if you do warm the battery up a little bit i.e. by finishing charging before you leave you are still stuck with i.e. a 4.5s car rather than a 3.1s car. Which is a problem in the cold USA winters. Tesla did patch and improve this but afaik the issue sorta still remains a bit.
Just missing the outdoor speaker for pedestrian protection, which can be use I believe as a Boom Box :)