Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance '21 suddenly doubled energy consumption

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,

Today while driving a fairly noticeable high pitch electric noice appeared. It also varies in pitch together with velocity. Some kind of buzzing noice is also present, which I can only guess is some kind of pump. The third observation I made is that the energy consumption suddenly has more than doubled, from around 150 Wh/km to above 320 Wh/km, and battery drains rapidly. The regeneration dots on the top left of the screen is also gone.

I am thinking in the line of some issue with the drive train? I am not noticing any stuck brake calipers as it glides quite freely.

I am sincerely a bit worried to drive it, as it might do more damage. I have made a service booking through the app.

Has anyone had similar experiences?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Hi there,

Today while driving a fairly noticeable high pitch electric noice appeared. It also varies in pitch together with velocity. Some kind of buzzing noice is also present, which I can only guess is some kind of pump. The third observation I made is that the energy consumption suddenly has more than doubled, from around 150 Wh/km to above 320 Wh/km, and battery drains rapidly. The regeneration dots on the top left of the screen is also gone.

I am thinking in the line of some issue with the drive train? I am not noticing any stuck brake calipers as it glides quite freely.

I am sincerely a bit worried to drive it, as it might do more damage. I have made a service booking through the app.

Id definitely get warranty service involved. How do you normally get 150 Wh/km (~240Wh/mi) on an m3p though? 20" wheels? I at best average 177 Wh/km (285Wh/mi)....

Hi there,

Sounds like it’s prepping the battery for supercharging, but by a glitchy mistake instead of on purpose. Or maybe Track Mode/etc.

Try turning the car off and let it sleep (turn off sentry mode etc) for a few hours. And then see if when you drive it’s gone.

Reactions: Dolemite
Id definitely get warranty service involved. How do you normally get 150 Wh/km (~240Wh/mi) on an m3p though? 20" wheels? I at best average 177 Wh/km (285Wh/mi)....
*Update* Parked the and charged it. Also did a hard reset to be on the safe side before commencing a second drive. The car is back to normal with normal energy consumption around 150 +/- 100 @50-60 kph average. @Marashka: yes, that's with 20" überturbines.

Yes. Preconditioning for supercharging uses more energy AND generates that whine you hear because it's running the front motors inefficiently to generate extra heat to warm up the batteries.

The regen dots are gone because the battery has warmed up.

So I have to buy new wheels and tires to get same mileage? Nah.
Most people with M3P knows in advance that they will likely need to buy another set of wheels anyways due to how easy it is to get a flat/crack with the 20 wheel/tire combo. I owned a ‘19 LR with acceleration boost and the difference is night and day so I always regret to buy LR. I never use the full 300 miles so for me it was an easy decision. If you can’t afford new set of tires and rims why buy the M3P?

Most people with M3P knows in advance that they will likely need to buy another set of wheels anyways due to how easy it is to get a flat/crack with the 20 wheel/tire combo. I owned a ‘19 LR with acceleration boost and the difference is night and day so I always regret to buy LR. I never use the full 300 miles so for me it was an easy decision. If you can’t afford new set of tires and rims why buy the M3P?
Never had an issue with wheels on my MP3...as the vast majority of owners haven't had issue either reading through comments on different fora. Why you think 'most' people buying an MP3 will 'know in advance' they need new rims and tires is a stretch by any imagination. Also, your comment about why buy the M3P if you cant afford a new set of tires and rims is perhaps a little naïve. The M3P comes with a set of tires and rims...my question was why would I want to spend another $4000 immediately on a new set? I don't believe the majority of M3P owners would want to do this either. You may want to but your needs are FAR from the needs of most MP3 owners in my opinion. Most I would think are quite happy with what they have. I am happy with mine but I know my next M3 in the family will be the LR, hopefully an LR++ with 400 mile range or more!! For me its all about range. I had my fun accelerating like a madman but now I realize there is so much more to range if you travel a lot. Also, saves a lot on tires. If money was no object then I would have bought a S performance!

Never had an issue with wheels on my MP3...as the vast majority of owners haven't had issue either reading through comments on different fora. Why you think 'most' people buying an MP3 will 'know in advance' they need new rims and tires is a stretch by any imagination. Also, your comment about why buy the M3P if you cant afford a new set of tires and rims is perhaps a little naïve. The M3P comes with a set of tires and rims...my question was why would I want to spend another $4000 immediately on a new set? I don't believe the majority of M3P owners would want to do this either. You may want to but your needs are FAR from the needs of most MP3 owners in my opinion. Most I would think are quite happy with what they have. I am happy with mine but I know my next M3 in the family will be the LR, hopefully an LR++ with 400 mile range or more!! For me its all about range. I had my fun accelerating like a madman but now I realize there is so much more to range if you travel a lot. Also, saves a lot on tires. If money was no object then I would have bought a S performance!
It’s good we all have different opinions. I came from a LR to an M3P, so it’s interesting to hear different perspective from M3P owners.

I went p3 after selling my original stealth 3. Since my car was delivered in the middle of winter I sold the uberturbines the first day I had it and bought a set of snow wheels and tires. Now for this summer I ended up getting 20" zero-g's. I daily drive it and I love it. For some of us, the climate dictates which wheels we use.

I went p3 after selling my original stealth 3. Since my car was delivered in the middle of winter I sold the uberturbines the first day I had it and bought a set of snow wheels and tires. Now for this summer I ended up getting 20" zero-g's. I daily drive it and I love it. For some of us, the climate dictates which wheels we use.
Yep, climate is a different reason altogether...