Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 performance as a cop car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

iwannam3

Aug 8, 2016
Washington
With the 18 wheels so rims don't get routinely destroyed. Lots of power to run computer, lights, radio etc. (or is the 12vdc DC/DC converter limited?) Much cheaper "fuel" even assuming they will charge in the garage and not drive out on the interstate to free supercharge. And it will out accelerate most cars and be safer in collisions.

Not sure it's needed, but not a bad idea. Theoretically could net $20K in savings over 5 yrs due to gas/maintenance, which could bring it more inline with expectations of sub-50K. Overkill, for sure. But I'm all for giving our officers better tools.

I doubt the cost of operation would be low enough. Police cars take a lot of abuse. Teslas are crazy expensive to repair plus many months wait for parts means a lot of downtime.
When I see the new Ford Explorer police vehicles I wonder if they could possibly be as reliable and durable as the old Crown Vics.

When I see the new Ford Explorer police vehicles I wonder if they could possibly be as reliable and durable as the old Crown Vics.
^^^^ This. While Model 3 spare parts currently seem to be in short supply, that might change in some years. The Crown Vics and the Model 3 do share one thing in common: they were/are easy to spot at night. Still can't recall what the driving and headlights look like on the Ford Exploders (sic) even as SJPD and CHiPs are now using more of them.

I doubt the cost of operation would be low enough. Police cars take a lot of abuse. Teslas are crazy expensive to repair plus many months wait for parts means a lot of downtime.

The Explorers are crossovers of the Taurus, just SUV body instead of sedan. Also, Model 3 isn't big enough inside for a police car. Hell the Taurus is too small.

And when the Model 3 needs service, the cop has to use a bicycle while they wait 3 months for a small part to come in.

LAPD tried using BMW i3 as non-essential cop cars. Nobody uses them, haven't seen a single one. They are sitting in a lot collecting dust.

Why the performance model?

The performance Model 3 is stupid fast. No one needs to go that fast, not even cops, and especially not on the taxpayer’s dime.

In theory *some* EV could make sense as a police car in some applications/regions/climates, but the P3D is not that vehicle.

Reactions: cizUK
A 12-hour shift is about 1/2 of a tank of gas. Most like the Explorers because they are easier to get in and out of compared to (sedans) Crown Vics, Chargers, or Caprices. Where would the radio and other car equipment go? What about a computer and a cage?

Last edited: