Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/AWD Clunking sound

Is your Model 3 AWD or Performance doing the same sound?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2018 Performance 3 was bought as a "showroom" car with 2800 miles on it, i bought it in march and it did not make the noise when i first got it, it was about 1k miles later that it started making the clunk noise and to me it seems to have gotten louder (have put a little over 2k miles on the car since i got it), I can make it clunk every single time front a stop with slowly moving forward, does not do it in reverse.

I am not really happy with them saying this is a normal noise

I have two P3Ds and one has the "clunk" noise at low speed of decelerations and acceleration particularly exaggerated when going up or down a high, the other does not make any similar noise. Several weeks ago I got a front motor warning that had a turtle icon on it and said, "Power Reduced - Front Motor Temporarily Disabled" A reset resolved the warning, I made an appointment with service wondering if front left clunk sound had something to do with warning. I just got the car back they said motor checked out fine, warning was a fluke. The likewise told me that the noise was gear lash from the front drive unit.

This might be a little off topic, but I wanted to ask a question. When my M3 is parked in our flat garage, it makes a clunking sound every time I open the door (or unlock). I don't think it makes such sound while driving but I haven't had a chance to drive on hills to try the issue OP was experiencing so not sure. Given that it makes that sound every time I get in the car, is this normal? Kinda annoying to say the least..

This might be a little off topic, but I wanted to ask a question. When my M3 is parked in our flat garage, it makes a clunking sound every time I open the door (or unlock). I don't think it makes such sound while driving but I haven't had a chance to drive on hills to try the issue OP was experiencing so not sure. Given that it makes that sound every time I get in the car, is this normal? Kinda annoying to say the least..

That's the battery contactors closing, and isn't the same sound.

My P3D (July 2018 made) started making the noise at very low speed after 9k miles and 1year. In addition I noticed that the motor noise getting louder especially under regen. In comparison my wife’s M3 AWD (April 2019 made) is completely silent from these noise.

Any suggestions?

Noticed this on my 2018/11 build LR AWD. The first month or so it was completely silent of clunk sound. However, it started gradually and getting louder over the time. Symptoms happens at low speed standstill accelerating and braking. Either 0-10mph or 10-0mph. Today I noticed loud clunk from front end on my commute back home, especially braking from 10-0, very noticeable during incline slope.. it gets to a point that I am taking the car in for service.

Not taking the usual “it’s normal” BS from service center, anyone have experience from SC about this issue? Looks like it’s pretty wide spread.

Last edited:
@Oyinko Yes, I would to if Tesla could tel me where the noise is coming from. For now, they can’t.
And you should ceep in mind that the 8 year warranty only include the DU and inverter.
This noise could possibly come from complete different parts that are not under warranty.
For me this sound/noise is not acceptable and should be taken seriusly (by Tesla)
I wil post the outcome from my 3’rd visit at SC. Have low expectations thoug.

• Informative
Reactions: GOOCHY and WilliamG
Have had this clunking-sound sinse 4000km on the odometer (now 13000km). Very anoying!
Third time in at the SC. Same arrogant atitude as usual... "this might be just within specs"

Here is a video i took yesterday.

This is normal. It's gear lash. You know it's gear lash because it happens most when on a slight incline and you're on and off the accelerator. I hear it every time I reverse into my garage.

• Funny
Reactions: Bonk3rs
@tomc603 I’ve heard gear lash before, but that is usually just one subtle clunk. Here it’s two or three clunks in a row. I belive we are talking about two different things here.
And its only when going forward. Gear lash should be heard both ways.

Take a video/soundrecording of the sound you experiencing? Only then i could really understand what you mean.

@Oyinko Yes, I would to if Tesla could tel me where the noise is coming from. For now, they can’t.
And you should ceep in mind that the 8 year warranty only include the DU and inverter.
This noise could possibly come from complete different parts that are not under warranty.
For me this sound/noise is not acceptable and should be taken seriusly (by Tesla)
I wil post the outcome from my 3’rd visit at SC. Have low expectations thoug.

Put your car in N and jack your wheels up. Then slightly spin one front wheel back and forth and you will hear the same "clunk sound". It's gear lash. Some people think it's normal, some think it's not. Mine haven't gotten worst in 7500 miles but if it doest, I will go to the SC.

Keep us posted if your SC manages to resolve your issue.

@Oyinko Thanks for the advise, but i’m pretty sure you need some more load on the drivetrain to provoke the right clunk sound her. Ceep in mind that you need to have the car in a incline to get it . Thats the load of the whole car we talk about here. You cant recreat that with just a turn of the wheel.
In other words, I belive you need at higher amount of torque to provoke the right sound.

@Oyinko Thanks for the advise, but i’m pretty sure you need some more load on the drivetrain to provoke the right clunk sound her. Ceep in mind that you need to have the car in a incline to get it . Thats the load of the whole car we talk about here. You cant recreat that with just a turn of the wheel.
In other words, I belive you need at higher amount of torque to provoke the right sound.

That's not what I experienced. I noticed I was able to reproduce the same sound when I changed my wheels couple of months ago. Give it a shot and see by yourself.

@tomc603 I’ve heard gear lash before, but that is usually just one subtle clunk. Here it’s two or three clunks in a row. I belive we are talking about two different things here.
And its only when going forward. Gear lash should be heard both ways.

Take a video/soundrecording of the sound you experiencing? Only then i could really understand what you mean.

The noise from gear lash can change dramatically depending on how the gears are cut.

Once you hear it, the gears are already worn and they the wear will accelerate.
It may not fail tomorrow but it wont last another million miles.

That's now how gear lash works at all. Gears can no perfectly mesh, so there's a tolerance given for what is and is not acceptable levels of lash and how much of the teeth need to be engaged.

Anyone with more recent opinion/feedback/stance from Tesla Service on this clunk sound from the front?
Seems extra obvious/annoying with the new Stop/Hold mode. Stop and go traffic is like clunk/clonk/clunk/clonk/clunk/clonk as you start and stop.