Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Battery Degradation One Month (Story)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday without meaning to, I ran my charge down to around 35 miles doing extra errands and such. We've been having some pretty cold weather (below freezing 29-31 degrees F) and when I got home a warning popped up on the screen about how with such a low state of charge the driving range could be adversly affected by the cold temperatures. I didn't want to leave it so low in the cold very long so I plugged it in and it began charging even though I wasn't into my best TOU rates yet. When it got to 45 miles, I stopped the charge and waited until after 10pm to resume charging. The car reported it had finished charging at 3:31am at 70% I had set it at. The range displayed 216 miles and at 7am it still displayed 216 miles with it being 32 degrees outside. Very happy with that since even with the cold, it is back to displaying the correct extrapolated full range of a 310 mile LR I paid for. :)

That’s a good example of why you should keep the charge level at 90%. You don’t have to worry about extra errands, TOU rates, etc. The battery will be just fine. Early Model S owners didn’t obsess over keeping the battery at lower states of charge — in fact the early firmware didn’t even allow charge levels less than 92%— and our batteries didn’t have more than expected degradation after five years.

That’s a good example of why you should keep the charge level at 90%. You don’t have to worry about extra errands, TOU rates, etc. The battery will be just fine. Early Model S owners didn’t obsess over keeping the battery at lower states of charge — in fact the early firmware didn’t even allow charge levels less than 92%— and our batteries didn’t have more than expected degradation after five years.
Looking back at what started this thread, the OP stated he was charging to 90% when his concerns began so your advice is good but some of us still had issues that needed addressing or this thread wouldn't exist.

I had an appointment with the Dublin SC for tomorrow, Fri, about my battery seemingly losing too-much range/capacity, but late yesterday I got a call from a Tesla "lead technician" who talked with me for the better part of 45 minutes and persuaded me that there wasn't anything wrong or broken (bad cells) with my battery. I know Tesla employees can say various things that turn out to have varying levels of accuracy/veracity, but I'll relay what William (that's his name) told me:

Let's start with , some asides/interesting things he said:

1. First, he said he's Dublin's Lead Technician (or maybe one of them?), and he was calling customers with upcoming appointments who indicated issues that they felt might be ones that could be resolved over the phone. There apparently is a "backlog" of repair/maintenance requests, and he was enlisted to help reduce it. (So, Pro-Tip A: If you want Tesla to call *you* about your issue, make an appointment to physically bring your car in for a look-see. Doing this is the sole reason I got a call from this technician and got to have him look at my car remotely. But, there this pro-tip B: Take Their Call when they call you. If they leave a message, they ask you to call them at the general number, which leads to HUGE hold times (see Item 2. below), and generally you won't get the actual guy who called you right away on the phone. This is what happened to me at first, before this technician called me, so this was the second call from a tech I got.)

2. As a slight aside, I also told him that l was glad he called me, because every time I call the Dublin service center, I get pushed out to a national queue and put on hold for up to an hour (and no less than 30 minutes), and sometimes I've just hung up because life got in the way and I couldn't stay on hold that long. He apologized and said indeed they have very long wait times these days and it's something he hoped they fix soon. He did attribute it to the large numbers of 3's (and S's and X's) that are coming on line these days - not a surprise really. (I say all this in case anyone else has experienced the near-impossibility of actually talking to a local person in their local SC). Anyway, that's that.

3. He verified to me that indeed they can remotely look at Model 3 battery packs, just as they can look at S or X ones. This was important to me because I was told a couple of weeks ago by a cust. sv. guy at Dublin that they cannot remotely access Model 3 battery packs or do any remote analysis on them, which I thought sounded way wrong, but that's what he said.. This guy William said ineed this was just wrong. William proceeded to prove this to me by bringing up my car on his computer, and actually accessing my battery, and ran a few analytic programs on the data he pulled from my battery - all while I was on the phone with him.

OK, here's the good stuff:

4. He said that the displayed range, and the displayed SOC remaining, is the result of a pretty complex algorithm (I'm sure most on these forums know or figured this was true, but anyway, nice to hear it from a "lead technician" at Tesla), and that actually the SOC displayed is an average (a little more than just a straight average, he said, but one can think of it as an average) number, based on the system looking at the SOC's of each of the battery packs in the car. He said the first numbers he looks at when delving into someone's battery pack is the "minimum SOC" number, which is the pack with the lowest SOC, and then the "maximum SOC" number, which is the pack with the highest SOC. A healthy battery pack will have a high/low SOC differential that is pretty small, within a .1 V he said (I think it was measured that way - he spoke really quickly. Maybe it was .01? Anyway, I was doing my best and couldn't take notes at the time, unfortunately). He said the recent readings from my pack showed a SOW high/low difference of no more than .1V (or .01V?), which he said was excellent, a very well-balanced and therefore healthy pack.

5. He also said that this high/low SOC measurement was the "balancing" thing that folks talk about, where if the Low/High SOC starts to diverge too much, the car will stop charging when the higher SOC packs reach full SOC, or targeted SOC, but then the ones that are on the lower end of your overall pack's SOC at that point in time would then not get charged to a higher state of charge (because the charging will be stopped when the higher SOC ones hit the level, even if the other packs at the lower end of the SOC spectrum are not charged fully or to the set SOC target). Essentially charging stops when the highest SOC packs hit the target SOC level, leaving the lower SOC packs at a relatively lower SOC, which can reduce range. He said that a typical indication that SOC high/low is unusually large/off, is that your car starts to cease charging prematurely, before your set SOC is reached.

6. He said also that if the pack had any real problems - like cells going out, or even severely out of balance - the pack would "start to throw errors remotely" to Tesla, and they typically would be reaching out to an owner of such a problem battery pack well before the owner even saw any adverse effects / reduced range, as a result of such errors that were being transmitting. He said any such errors my battery would have shown would be on my car's chronological "error log", which he then proceeded to check whilst we were on the phone. He said I have no such battery-related errors, though he correctly noted that my most recent error is a "low windshield wiper fluid" error, which indeed I have seen on my car (so he definitely was looking at my car's error log!) It's nice to know that the BMS is apparently set up to throw notifications to Tesla in the event of bad cells or other battery problems, and that mine has yet to do this.

(PS - Asked and Answered: there is no recommended wiper fluid - use your favorite . . .)

7. Probably the most notable thing he said, was that indeed charging to lower SOC's (like the 70% I was typically doing), and then using only 10-15% or so (ie, driving not a lot on a daily basis, 30-60 miles, which is what I do) will in fact tend cause the system to start giving lower total range numbers, as the BMS and the software calculating that range will have less info with which to extrapolate the range. So, essentially he is saying that keeping your SOC low (70-75%, as I have been doing) may well result in a lower total displayed range, but that's going to be in large part not due to a bad battery but due to the BMS having problems with the range estimation due to lower SOC and range used.

8. The good news is he said that indeed the 10-100% cycle charging can raise this stated range, though if you go back down to a regular/daily 70% SOC charging regime, it's likely that the overall range displayed will drop again.

9. I asked if it's OK to keep the car at 90-ish% SOC on a daily basis, even if I'm only driving no more than 40-ish miles on any given week/workday, and he said that it is fine, and that may well result in a bit higher stated range as well (which is what I was experiencing - when I went from a daily 70% SOC setting to a daily 90% SOC, my displayed/calculated full range went from 288-ish to 300-ish). He did say it's also fine, and perhaps long-term a little (just a little, maybe, he said) healthier for the battery, to keep it at a 70-80% SOC daily, but just realize if you do this your overall range displayed probably will drop a bit, though your actual range isn't dropping - it's just the calculations of range that the system does, becomes trickier / less accurate when you keep your daily SOC lower, as in 70-ish% SOC.

10. Lastly, he did reiterate and confirm the general degradation pattern we've all heard/read about for these batteries: You'll see a drop in range initially, around 5%, over the first year/12k miles, some of which will in fact be degradation, but then you'll see that drop slow and practically stop and stabilize for years after this.

What this all means to me, is with the L/R stated range of 310 when new, most can expect that total range to drop to 290-300 miles within a year (5% of 310 = 15.5 miles, so that'd put the true Rated Range at 294-ish after one year / 12k miles) and then virtually stabilize after that, with very small and slow degradation drops after that for years to come. (SideNote, He said at least twice in our conversation that the older S's he sees, including his own, indeed seem to level off for years at around 90%, give or take - some after 200k miles even.)

So, some lucky folks will keep 300-plus after a year, but probably most of us 3 folks won't, but that's ok. And don't worry unless you start to see consistent drops into 280 (or below) range in the first year, even after 90% SOC charging and/or 10-100% cycling a few times. And if your battery actually is dropping cells or otherwise failing, it should be throwing errors to Tesla and you should hear about it. Lastly, if you're concerned still, then brave the long hold times and somehow get ahold of a technician and insist that they look at your battery while you're on the phone with them. They should be able to tell you if your high/low SOC's is at a worrisome state and otherwise give you some better insight into the state of your pack.

Bottom line, I felt reassured that my battery isn't defective, and I canceled my in-person appointment that was set for tomorrow. I'll probably charge to 90% daily for a while, knowing that's not going to discernibly harm the battery, and then just monitor the situation.

Sorry for the TLDR post. Just felt folks might want to know as much as possible about this battery thing, as heard from a real, live "Lead Technician" at a SC.

Last edited:
I had an appointment with the Dublin SC for tomorrow, Fri, about my battery seemingly losing too-much range/capacity, but late yesterday I got a call from a Tesla "lead technician" who talked with me for the better part of 45 minutes and persuaded me that there wasn't anything wrong or broken (bad cells) with my battery. I know Tesla employees can say various things that turn out to have varying levels of accuracy/veracity, but I'll relay what William (that's his name) told me:

1. First, he said he's Dublin's Lead Technician (or maybe one of them?), and he was calling customers with upcoming appointments who indicated issues that they felt might be ones that could be resolved over the phone. There apparently is a "backlog" of repair/maintenance requests, and he was enlisted to help reduce it. (So, Pro-Tip A: If you want Tesla to call *you* about your issue, make an appointment to physically bring your car in for a look-see. Doing this is the sole reason I got a call from this technician and got to have him look at my car remotely. But, there this pro-tip B: Take Their Call when they call you. If they leave a message, they ask you to call them at the general number, which leads to HUGE hold times (see Item 2. below), and generally you won't get the actual guy who called you right away on the phone. This is what happened to me at first, before this technician called me, so this was the second call from a tech I got.)

2. As a slight aside, I also told him that l was glad he called me, because every time I call the Dublin service center, I get pushed out to a national queue and put on hold for up to an hour (and no less than 30 minutes), and sometimes I've just hung up because life got in the way and I couldn't stay on hold that long. He apologized and said indeed they have very long wait times these days and it's something he hoped they fix soon. He did attribute it to the large numbers of 3's (and S's and X's) that are coming on line these days - not a surprise really. (I say all this in case anyone else has experienced the near-impossibility of actually talking to a local person in their local SC). Anyway, that's that.

3. He verified to me that indeed they can remotely look at Model 3 battery packs, just as they can look at S or X ones. This was important to me because I was told a couple of weeks ago by a cust. sv. guy at Dublin that they cannot remotely access Model 3 battery packs or do any remote analysis on them, which I thought sounded way wrong, but that's what he said.. This guy William said ineed this was just wrong. William proceeded to prove this to me by bringing up my car on his computer, and actually accessing my battery, and ran a few analytic programs on the data he pulled from my battery - all while I was on the phone with him.

4. He said that the displayed range, and the displayed SOC remaining, is the result of a pretty complex algorithm (I'm sure most on these forums know or figured this was true, but anyway, nice to hear it from a "lead technician" at Tesla), and that actually the SOC displayed is an average (a little more than just a straight average, he said, but one can think of it as an average) number, based on the system looking at the SOC's of each of the battery packs in the car. He said the first numbers he looks at when delving into someone's battery pack is the "minimum SOC" number, which is the pack with the lowest SOC, and then the "maximum SOC" number, which is the pack with the highest SOC. A healthy battery pack will have a high/low SOC differential that is pretty small, within a .1 V he said (I think it was measured that way - he spoke really quickly. Maybe it was .01? Anyway, I was doing my best and couldn't take notes at the time, unfortunately). He said the recent readings from my pack showed a SOW high/low difference of no more than .1V (or .01V?), which he said was excellent, a very well-balanced and therefore healthy pack.

5. He also said that this high/low SOC measurement was the "balancing" thing that folks talk about, where if the Low/High SOC starts to diverge too much, the car will stop charging when the higher SOC packs reach full SOC, or targeted SOC, but then the ones that are on the lower end of your overall pack's SOC at that point in time would then not get charged to a higher state of charge (because the charging will be stopped when the higher SOC ones hit the level, even if the other packs at the lower end of the SOC spectrum are not charged fully or to the set SOC target). Essentially charging stops when the highest SOC packs hit the target SOC level, leaving the lower SOC packs at a relatively lower SOC, which can reduce range. He said that a typical indication that SOC high/low is unusually large/off, is that your car starts to cease charging prematurely, before your set SOC is reached.

6. He said also that if the pack had any real problems - like cells going out, or even severely out of balance - the pack would "start to throw errors remotely" to Tesla, and they typically would be reaching out to an owner of such a problem battery pack well before the owner even saw any adverse effects / reduced range, as a result of such errors that were being transmitting. He said any such errors my battery would have shown would be on my car's chronological "error log", which he then proceeded to check whilst we were on the phone. He said I have no such battery-related errors, though he correctly noted that my most recent error is a "low windshield wiper fluid" error, which indeed I have seen on my car (so he definitely was looking at my car's error log!) It's nice to know that the BMS is apparently set up to throw notifications to Tesla in the event of bad cells or other battery problems, and that mine has yet to do this.

7. Probably the most notable thing he said, was that indeed charging to lower SOC's (like the 70% I was typically doing), and then using only 10-15% or so (ie, driving not a lot on a daily basis, 30-60 miles, which is what I do) will in fact tend cause the system to start giving lower total range numbers, as the BMS and the software calculating that range will have less info with which to extrapolate the range. So, essentially he is saying that keeping your SOC low (70-75%, as I have been doing) may well result in a lower total displayed range, but that's going to be in large part not due to a bad battery but due to the BMS having problems with the range estimation due to lower SOC and range used.

8. The good news is he said that indeed the 10-100% cycle charging can raise this stated range, though if you go back down to a regular/daily 70% SOC charging regime, it's likely that the overall range displayed will drop again.

9. I asked if it's OK to keep the car at 90-ish% SOC on a daily basis, even if I'm only driving no more than 40-ish miles on any given week/workday, and he said that it is fine, and that may well result in a bit higher stated range as well (which is what I was experiencing - when I went from a daily 70% SOC setting to a daily 90% SOC, my displayed/calculated full range went from 288-ish to 300-ish). He did say it's also fine, and perhaps long-term a little (just a little, maybe, he said) healthier for the battery, to keep it at a 70-80% SOC daily, but just realize if you do this your overall range displayed probably will drop a bit, though your actual range isn't dropping - it's just the calculations of range that the system does, becomes trickier / less accurate when you keep your daily SOC lower, as in 70-ish% SOC.

10. Lastly, he did reiterate and confirm the general degradation pattern we've all heard/read about for these batteries: You'll see a drop in range initially, around 5%, over the first year/12k miles, some of which will in fact be degradation, but then you'll see that drop slow and practically stop and stabilize for years after this.

What this all means to me, is with the L/R stated range of 310 when new, most can expect that total range to drop to 290-300 miles within a year (5% of 310 = 15.5 miles, so that'd put the true Rated Range at 294-ish after one year / 12k miles) and then virtually stabilize after that, with very small and slow degradation drops after that for years to come. (SideNote, He said at least twice in our conversation that the older S's he sees, including his own, indeed seem to level off for years at around 90%, give or take - some after 200k miles even.)

So, some lucky folks will keep 300-plus after a year, but probably most of us 3 folks won't, but that's ok. And don't worry unless you start to see consistent drops into 280 (or below) range in the first year, even after 90% SOC charging and/or 10-100% cycling a few times. And if your battery actually is dropping cells or otherwise failing, it should be throwing errors to Tesla and you should hear about it. Lastly, if you're concerned still, then brave the long hold times and somehow get ahold of a technician and insist that they look at your battery while you're on the phone with them. They should be able to tell you if your high/low SOC's is at a worrisome state and otherwise give you some better insight into the state of your pack.

Bottom line, I felt reassured that my battery isn't defective, and I canceled my in-person appointment that was set for tomorrow. I'll probably charge to 90% daily for a while, knowing that's not going to discernibly harm the battery, and then just monitor the situation.

Sorry for the TLDR post. Just felt folks might want to as much as possible about this battery thing, as heard from a real, live "Lead Technician" at a SC.

Great in depth post there that reinforces most of what we know about charging!

1. The Algorithm that displays state of charge tends to get inaccurate when you don't do deep discharges of the battery or 90% charges.

2. Charging to 70 or 80% is a tiny bit better than 90% for pack health, but poor for monitoring actual range.

3. Something like 5% degradation in the 1st year is expected.

Wow, that sure seems to indicate a problem, I would have Tesla take a look at it remotely. I think they can monitor the individual battery sections and see if one of them is bad.
Just charged today for 248 indicated at 80% charge. 1300 miles now
Yes, they can look remotely. Also, if your battery is having cells go out, or otherwise losing too much actual capacity, your battery will throw error messages to Tesla, and if the battery throws enough bad errors about the battery, they say at least, that they will reach out to you to have the car brought in.

If you want someone to remotely look at your battery, the best way to make that happen (in my now somewhat extensive personal experience on this) is to make an appointment for a physical look-see at the SC, about your battery - tell them you think it's got a problem due to the significant loss of range (if that's what you think, as I did with mine). Then wait for a technician to call you to try to resolve the issue over the phone/remotely. Just be sure to take their call when they call you; otherwise if they leave a message to call them back, it's a nightmare cycle of profoundly long hold times to get back to maybe talking to a technician (but probably just getting a promise that they'll call you back . . . . and the cycle begins again. So take the call if at all possible, when they call you. It's your only chance.)

• Informative
Reactions: Jaywlker

Sorry for the TLDR post. Just felt folks might want to know as much as possible about this battery thing, as heard from a real, live "Lead Technician" at a SC.

Thanks for taking the time to write this up, very informative. This is yet another example where Tesla could save themselves a lot of time down the road by communicating better with the customer up front.

I wish Tesla would put this kind of info out there either on some sort of owners blog, a FAQ, or in the owners manual. They could save themselves lots of time in the service center, phone, etc. if owners knew what to expect and what is normal behavior. BEV's are new for many of us.

(PS - Asked and Answered: there is no recommended wiper fluid - use your favorite . . .)

Yep, this all makes sense to me, I've monitored a few battery banks in my life. I would also note that a .1 variance seems reasonable at high or low SOC. When they are in the middle (like 3.7v) it would indicate a larger variance in capacity. As you can see from the graphs it would be harder to balance cells or estimate capacity when they are always in the middle of their voltage range because there isn't as much variance.

Current Sensing Considerations in Li-ion Battery Management

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Reactions: JeffnReno
Yep, this all makes sense to me, I've monitored a few battery banks in my life. I would also note that .1 variance seems reasonable at high or low SOC. When they are in the middle (like 3.7v) it would indicate a larger variance in capacity. As you can see from the graphs it would be harder to balance cells or estimate capacity when they are always in the middle of their voltage range because there isn't as much variance.
So what I was told by the tech I spoke with, along with the added info, makes his recommendation of letting the battery drop down some before charging everyday seems like good advice and explains why it is working for me with the range reporting more accurately. This is all making good sense with all the additional input coming together.

• Disagree
Reactions: TexasEV and RyanT
So what I was told by the tech I spoke with, along with the added info, makes his recommendation of letting the battery drop down some before charging everyday seems like good advice and explains why it is working for me with the range reporting more accurately. This is all making good sense with all the additional input coming together.
It’s good advice if it gives you peace of mind to have higher rated range numbers. I also recommend for people with “predictable” driving habits to set their charge level such that their average daily SOC is 50-60%. For example, if your range is 300 miles and you typically drive 100 miles per day, set your nightly charge between 60-70%.

However... and this is coming from someone with 6 years experience with S... I do NOT recommend waiting days to plug in. I say plug in every night. Because I guarantee the day you have an unexpected need to drive an additional 80 miles will inevitably follow a night when you didn’t charge. Or, because plugging in at end of day is a decision vs automatic habit, you will have “oops I forgot last night” moments!

It’s good advice if it gives you peace of mind to have higher rated range numbers. I also recommend for people with “predictable” driving habits to set their charge level such that their average daily SOC is 50-60%. For example, if your range is 300 miles and you typically drive 100 miles per day, set your nightly charge between 60-70%.

However... and this is coming from someone with 6 years experience with S... I do NOT recommend waiting days to plug in. I say plug in every night. Because I guarantee the day you have an unexpected need to drive an additional 80 miles will inevitably follow a night when you didn’t charge. Or, because plugging in at end of day is a decision vs automatic habit, you will have “oops I forgot last night” moments!
With the cold weather and wanting to preheat the car for the next drive, I plug in anyway so I can start that from the app. That also allows me to start a charge later if I decide to without going back out to the car. I can also increase or decrease the charge precent if something comes up that requires more charge before the next day. Having come from a Leaf, I'm pretty aware of any driving limitations for myself but I can see it might be a problem for those that are new to EVs in general.

No, because if you're not driving much it doesn't matter that your range estimate is a few miles off. If you're only driving 30 miles, what difference does it make if the battery meter goes from 250 to 220 miles or 245 to 215 miles range? There's no dispute that more frequent, smaller charges are better for the battery than fewer larger charges, and for people who are concerned about the battery that should take precedence over whether the algorithm for reporting range is as accurate as it could be. When you take a longer drive and need to charge more, then the algorithm accuracy will improve. Meanwhile, if you want the accuracy to improve, don't limit charge level to 70% as some are doing.

Reactions: JeffnReno
No, because if you're not driving much it doesn't matter that your range estimate is a few miles off. If you're only driving 30 miles, what difference does it make if the battery meter goes from 250 to 220 miles or 245 to 215 miles range? There's no dispute that more frequent, smaller charges are better for the battery than fewer larger charges, and for people who are concerned about the battery that should take precedence over whether the algorithm for reporting range is as accurate as it could be. When you take a longer drive and need to charge more, then the algorithm accuracy will improve. Meanwhile, if you want the accuracy to improve, don't limit charge level to 70% as some are doing.

Yeah, I think that sums it up nicely . . . . If you want pretty good displayed rated range accuracy, with perhaps some (but probably little) adverse effect on true degradation over a long period of time, then charge to 90% daily. If you want every last ounce of degradation protection, then charge to 70% SOC regularly, but know that your rated range estimation will necessarily become less accurate the more you keep the charge at that level . . . . Also, charge daily, period.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
That makes no sense. If you arrive with a higher state of charge, it will always take less time to get to the charge you need than if you arrive with a lower state of charge. When you arrive at 10% SOC, sure you start off charging faster than you would at 50%, but your total charge time will be longer.

Think of it this way-- if you plan to depart the supercharger with 250 miles range, for example, would your charging stop be faster if you arrived with 30 miles range or 100 miles range?

Your first supercharging stop will always be faster if you start from home with 100% charge.

We've traveled 6,000 miles in our Model 3 AWD in our brief 6 weeks of ownership, at least 4,000 of those miles being Supercharged. I've noticed pretty consistently that arriving between 12 and 20% will result in a full speed charge (116+ kW) from the time of plugging in until it starts to taper down at 50%. If we arrive between 20 and 30%, it will barely hit 100 kW and hang out in the 90 kW range until it tapers down above 50%.

We try to run from 12-15% to about 60% and stopping more frequently than the navigation recommends. Our charging stops last about 20 minutes and we stop twice as often as the nav's recommended 50-minute charging stops, saving time overall. I usually leave the house at around 85% to hit the first Supercharger in the sweet spot.

You're right about it not mattering, now that I know how it's working and nothing is wrong with my battery. I may go back to charging nightly but don't see the need to in my case and I think there will be plenty of new Tesla owners that won't be able to charge nightly due to where they live and should know that not doing so isn't that bad after all.

We've traveled 6,000 miles in our Model 3 AWD in our brief 6 weeks of ownership, at least 4,000 of those miles being Supercharged. I've noticed pretty consistently that arriving between 12 and 20% will result in a full speed charge (116+ kW) from the time of plugging in until it starts to taper down at 50%. If we arrive between 20 and 30%, it will barely hit 100 kW and hang out in the 90 kW range until it tapers down above 50%.

We try to run from 12-15% to about 60% and stopping more frequently than the navigation recommends. Our charging stops last about 20 minutes and we stop twice as often as the nav's recommended 50-minute charging stops, saving time overall. I usually leave the house at around 85% to hit the first Supercharger in the sweet spot.
Yes, you’ve found the secret. Use the “bottom half” of the battery during road trips for faster charging. So, with most highway superchargers less than 150 miles apart, it’s best to run it down to 5-10% if you are brave enough, and stop at every one. But sometimes if you stop for a sit down meal, charge it up and skip a stop!

Yes, you’ve found the secret. Use the “bottom half” of the battery during road trips for faster charging. So, with most highway superchargers less than 150 miles apart, it’s best to run it down to 5-10% if you are brave enough, and stop at every one. But sometimes if you stop for a sit down meal, charge it up and skip a stop!

Running to 10% or below results in a slow ramp up and ends up taking more time.

. . .I've been texting with the technician who helped me yesterday. Asked him if there is any degradation hit, even small, if you charge to 90% daily rather than 70% . . . . His response was, essentially, most charge to 90%. I think they're hesitant to make any affirmative representations about this, which I suppose from a legal standpoint is understandable. Reading between the lines, it seems he's saying 90% is fine, in his opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.