Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Battery Degradation One Month (Story)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure any P3D+ will ever get the rated mileage except downhill or cruising at 55. The tires are simply too sticky, and lack the aero advantages of the 18" with hubcaps.

I struggle to stay below 300 wh/mi with my normal driving. Lead food doesn't help, but honestly efficiency isn't all that important to me where I drive with that in mind unless I am on a road trip. Hypermiling I see 260-270.

I'm not sure any P3D+ will ever get the rated mileage except downhill or cruising at 55. The tires are simply too sticky, and lack the aero advantages of the 18" with hubcaps.

I struggle to stay below 300 wh/mi with my normal driving. Lead food doesn't help, but honestly efficiency isn't all that important to me where I drive with that in mind unless I am on a road trip. Hypermiling I see 260-270.

I have a friend who drove her P3D+ down to 250 Whr/mile, which is the “Rated” efficiency according to the Energy Monitor screen in V9.

I am with you, I struggle to get below 300 Whr/mile on ours.

It's not using driving habits. Easy to prove, find just one Model 3 where that display shows significantly more that 310 miles. Good luck there are no pics of that and we already know there are people hypermiling the 3 and getting below 200 WHr/mile, so where are the pics of that display showing 370+ miles at 100% charge?????
Those people are out driving for hours on end with that awesome range... no time to waste on forums!
But seriously, you are correct!

Reactions: FSKT
It's not using driving habits. Easy to prove, find just one Model 3 where that display shows significantly more that 310 miles. Good luck there are no pics of that and we already know there are people hypermiling the 3 and getting below 200 WHr/mile, so where are the pics of that display showing 370+ miles at 100% charge?????
Bingo. QED . . . .

Although, the car is so much fun to drive, there may literally be nobody hypermiling the thing! (!)

@NewTMSMan .... or find people who are flooring it all the time with Avg efficiencies over 300 Wh/mi but who still charge close to 310 miles. Or people with cars that only charged to 290 miles when they got them with only 7 miles on the odometer. They must have been a crazy 7 miles to lower my range by 20 miles before delivery.

@NewTMSMan .... or find people who are flooring it all the time with Avg efficiencies over 300 Wh/mi but who still charge close to 310 miles. Or people with cars that only charged to 290 miles when they got them with only 7 miles on the odometer. They must have been a crazy 7 miles to lower my range by 20 miles before delivery.

Yeah that's me exactly, average WHr/mile over 300 and 310 miles range at 100% charge :).

Reactions: ViviV
earlier somebody drove around till the rate and actual lines overlapped on a P3+ and I think it was 256wh/mile rated.​
@SigNC that was me -- however I have subsequently driven until the projected range is equal to the rated range on the battery (223 in picture) and this shows Avg Wh/mi =250 is rated. The lines don't exactly overlap like they did at 256 Wh/mi, but I don't know how they designed the line on the chart. In any case the numbers don't lie, so I think efficiency for P3D is 250 Wh/mi which is similar to the 252 calculated by @NewTMSMan using EPA data.
IMG_3478(2).JPG

Reactions: webdbbt and MP3Mike
@SigNC that was me -- however I have subsequently driven until the projected range is equal to the rated range on the battery (223 in picture) and this shows Avg Wh/mi =250 is rated. The lines don't exactly overlap like they did at 256 Wh/mi, but I don't know how they designed the line on the chart. In any case the numbers don't lie, so I think efficiency for P3D is 250 Wh/mi which is similar to the 252 calculated by @NewTMSMan using EPA data.
View attachment 346492
Is that repeatable for you? That is, do you always get 250 when projected range matches rated range?

I haven’t proven it, but I think the projected range may have a slight recency bias. In other words, it may not be based on a non-weighted average of the last 15 miles. On the other hand, from what I’ve seen the dotted line consistently lands on the rated range line right around 255.

If you ever do want to experiment with getting rated range on your P3D, turn off climate control and cruise around at about 35-45 for a while. Once you’re satisfied you can get to 250 or better, declare the experiment a success. Then floor it to celebrate and kiss that rated range goodbye. ;)

• Love
Reactions: dfwatt and SigNC
Is that repeatable for you? That is, do you always get 250 when projected range matches rated range?

I haven’t proven it, but I think the projected range may have a slight recency bias. In other words, it may not be based on a non-weighted average of the last 15 miles. On the other hand, from what I’ve seen the dotted line consistently lands on the rated range line right around 255.

I'm getting same as you. The dotted line is exactly overlaying the rated solid line at both 255 and 256 (solid line is wider than dotted line) which is why I thought that number was the rated efficiency at first.
For me, the projected miles matching rated miles at 250 Wh/mi is very reproducible. However, I will keep observing it and report if I see anything different.

Reactions: SigNC and NewTMSMan
If you ever do want to experiment with getting rated range on your P3D, turn off climate control and cruise around at about 35-45 for a while. Once you’re satisfied you can get to 250 or better, declare the experiment a success. Then floor it to celebrate and kiss that rated range goodbye. ;)

Exactly my thoughts. This car is meant to be driven, so I don't try to obsess over the wh/mi. Will be taking a cross country trip next year, so will have plenty of time to cruise slowly and get it way low if I want to. I tend to drive fast on the freeway, so that doesn't help. I am sure if I cruised in the slow lane at 60-65 I'd do much better, but lifes too short.

Reactions: D3xDt3Reaction
I'm getting same as you. The dotted line is exactly overlaying the rated solid line at both 255 and 256 (solid line is wider than dotted line) which is why I thought that number was the rated efficiency at first.
For me, the projected miles matching rated miles at 250 Wh/mi is very reproducible. However, I will keep observing it and report if I see anything different.
Yeah, I take back what I said about recency bias. It looks like the line implies about 255 but the numbers imply about 250. Not sure why it’s different.

Reactions: ViviV
The lines coincided at 255 and 254 for me, so there is a bit of slop there.

Status
Not open for further replies.