Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Battery Degradation One Month (Story)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With this trend, at 10k miles I'll have 10% loss...

Screenshot_20190930-164700.png

I am going to add my data point
LR AWD
6000 miles
When new 100% charge: 305 miles
Now 100% charge: 265 miles
The degradation has been going down steadily since I received the car.
Tesla SC says that its normal.
I almost never charge to 100%. 90% daily

Reactions: flybuzz
8,500 miles, zero battery loss. Though technically I should have most of the degradation within the first 20-30k miles, so who knows how accurate the battery reporting is.

Charge to 65% daily (on a timer, starting at 6am, so its done by the time I leave for work, and limits the amount of time the car sits at high SoC)

90% on weekends if I plan to make a longer trip (which keeps the BMS in sync).

I park in the shade to decrease heat on battery. Garage kept.

Range dropped when the car was fairly new because they rolled back the 325 mile range to 310 for one firmware, then added it back shortly after.

Capture.PNG

Anyone who charges to 90% daily should watch this chart carefully. Storing the car at 90% is better than 100% but if you can do 70% or lower, it's even better. I see a lot of people who are charging to 90% and then not even going below 40%... that's just overly hard on the battery for zero benefit.

In my case, I charge to 65%, when I get to work I'm around 55%, which is near neutral. And when I get home I am at 45%, plenty of power in case I need to travel further. Also charging to under 65% doesn't have any added benefit since the battery isn't going to have less stress by the time it arrives at work.

5v8jqIQ.png

Last edited:
Reactions: CHL, Dr. J and KenC
I'd tweet Elon if my LR-AWD dropped to 265miles at 100% after only 6k miles.

I would try a lower charge limit to see if that helps. I charged to 90% when I got my LR-AWD, back last Winter, and my range estimate varied as low as 290 miles, which doesn't show in the data, since I lost some datapointsearly-on. After Spring hit, around 2500miles, and I changed to 75% to 80%, my range estimate went up to 306miles to 314miles. The moving average has stayed between 309 and 310.

Basically, I agree with TMThree, try a more conservative charging approach to see if that changes anything.
Screenshot 2019-10-05 13.25.41.jpg

The cool thing is that battery stress is dependent on temp. In hotter temps, its more stressful, in lower temps, it's less stressful (at the upper bands).

So 90% in the winter is about as stressful as 60% in the summer, and that also means you can charge to higher SoC in winter to raise your usable range (since range is decreased with colder temps) without stressing the battery much more.

I guess you also need to factor in how hot the battery gets under load to get a complete picture, since it's not just idling the entire time.

The cool thing is that battery stress is dependent on temp. In hotter temps, its more stressful, in lower temps, it's less stressful (at the upper bands).

So 90% in the winter is about as stressful as 60% in the summer, and that also means you can charge to higher SoC in winter to raise your usable range (since range is decreased with colder temps) without stressing the battery much more.

I guess you also need to factor in how hot the battery gets under load to get a complete picture, since it's not just idling the entire time.
Clearly I need to keep my battery in the refrigerator when not in use. :D

• Funny
Reactions: flybuzz and TMThree
Degredation seems to be slowing down a bit? Who knows.

View attachment 462981 View attachment 462983 View attachment 462984
You’re energy usage looks like it averages about 300Wh/mi, which is way above rated usage at ~230Wh/mi. If Tesla is now tying the battery bar remaining miles meter to usage, then your “degradation” makes sense. There is a lot of circumstantial evidence around this forum that Tesla did something in the recent updates that changes how they calculate remaining mileage. The SC’s have also been claiming recently that the remaining mileage is dependent on driving behavior. The good news, if this is the case, is your battery is probably fine.

What do you guys make of the attached pic? It’s not too bad for now but it seems to go down a little each day. Is it software updates or maybe something else? Thanks very much in advance.

Attachments

• 0D99E2C5-3640-4DA5-87A4-F7DE21AF8772.png
    0D99E2C5-3640-4DA5-87A4-F7DE21AF8772.png
    512.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Funny
Reactions: Dr. J
What do you guys make of the attached pic? It’s not too bad for now but it seems to go down a little each day. Is it software updates or maybe something else? Thanks very much in advance.
You only have a fluctuation of 4 miles, and it's pretty much at new car range. I'd say you have a superman battery compared to most of us. Don't forget the range is only an estimation and not an exact science. Don't get wrapped up in worrying about it unless you see a 10% drop or more.

You’re energy usage looks like it averages about 300Wh/mi, which is way above rated usage at ~230Wh/mi. If Tesla is now tying the battery bar remaining miles meter to usage, then your “degradation” makes sense. There is a lot of circumstantial evidence around this forum that Tesla did something in the recent updates that changes how they calculate remaining mileage. The SC’s have also been claiming recently that the remaining mileage is dependent on driving behavior. The good news, if this is the case, is your battery is probably fine.

I think you are onto something. I have no 'degradation' and my lifetime wh/mi is well under 230. You should keep asking this question.

I think you are onto something. I have no 'degradation' and my lifetime wh/mi is well under 230. You should keep asking this question.
Thanks. From my own experience, I had a significant drop in May after a software update. At the time, we were coming out of the winter months where my usage was high. Over the summer I have been getting much better than rated usage and have noticed roughly 10 miles added to the May 100% charge. I have a feeling many people are freaking out over their batteries for no reason. It would be good if Tesla explained how this number was calculated so people wouldn't worry about it. It would also quiet the crew on this forum whom firmly believe the calculation of remaining miles is done via a simple fixed multiplier and therefore any reduction of 100% is due to real degradation or a fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.