Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Battery Degradation One Month (Story)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AMP3Dm3

Feb 26, 2018
CT
Hey Guys,
So my last thread must have been deleted for some reason, unsure why but here is the run down of what happened for me.

Around 3 weeks ago I realized at 90% charge I was only getting a range of 263 Miles - I thought this was odd and defiantly lower than everyone I had spoken to that had RWD cars. I reached out to several P3D owners and surprisingly more than 40% of them had a similar issue.

At first I assumed the battery just needed a re-balancing / calibration ect. So I dropped the battery to 5% and then supercharged it to 100%. Range was still only 292 miles. At this point I was getting a bit worried over 5% battery degradation in the first month seemed really high performance car or not. I called Tesla service and set up a remote diagnostic check. (this was last wednesday)

They monitored the battery until Yesterday and just got a call back today. Faulty cell - the pack has to be replaced.

Just a FYI - If you think something might be wrong get it checked. Numerous people kept barking at me stating that the car shows an adjusted range based on driving habits - I knew this was false and went directly to Tesla. I can still drive the car until the new pack comes in which is good..

anyway. TL:DR 292 miles full charge after 40 days - Bad Cell - Getting a new Pack

Hey Guys,
So my last thread must have been deleted for some reason, unsure why but here is the run down of what happened for me.

Around 3 weeks ago I realized at 90% charge I was only getting a range of 263 Miles - I thought this was odd and defiantly lower than everyone I had spoken to that had RWD cars. I reached out to several P3D owners and surprisingly more than 40% of them had a similar issue.

At first I assumed the battery just needed a re-balancing / calibration ect. So I dropped the battery to 5% and then supercharged it to 100%. Range was still only 292 miles. At this point I was getting a bit worried over 5% battery degradation in the first month seemed really high performance car or not. I called Tesla service and set up a remote diagnostic check. (this was last wednesday)

They monitored the battery until Yesterday and just got a call back today. Faulty cell - the pack has to be replaced.

Just a FYI - If you think something might be wrong get it checked. Numerous people kept barking at me stating that the car shows an adjusted range based on driving habits - I knew this was false and went directly to Tesla. I can still drive the car until the new pack comes in which is good..

anyway. TL:DR 292 miles full charge after 40 days - Bad Cell - Getting a new Pack

@EvilCowPow,

How long for the new pack?

Ski

Hey Guys,

Folks here might be interested in this youttube video that I think is really fine - explaining some of the vicissitudes of Li Cobalt graphite battery tech. It's really good. Overall, I think Tesla's approach is the best balance of range, reliability and lifespan, but you are going to have outliers like what happened with you.

Just wondering, it is known that especially if you have the 20" tires that the range is going to be less. The range at 100 percent, isn't that also dependent on your driving habits?

Tesla Model S/X/3 range at 55/60/65/70/75/80 mph

According to this technically P3D+ should be advertised with 269, so I would not be surprised if full charge was a bit less than EPA.

Then again if you have P3D- then you might have an issue. AWD full charge for me is 304 miles, expected due to my driving habits.

Just wondering, it is known that especially if you have the 20" tires that the range is going to be less. The range at 100 percent, isn't that also dependent on your driving habits?

According to this technically P3D+ should be advertised with 269, so I would not be surprised if full charge was a bit less than EPA.

Then again if you have P3D- then you might have an issue. AWD full charge for me is 304 miles, expected due to my driving habits.

The battery range on Teslas is not adjusted by driving habits - it is based on the EPA range. All the various Model 3s will all show 310 for a full charge. The LR 18" w/aero driver will have a much easier time achieving the range.

The 2 cycle equations exist for a reason and is the basis of a SAE development process that involves BEV engineers, 3rd party test engineers, and governmental certification staff. Creating a custom correction factor other than 0.7 based on 5 cycle type testing is not a result of artificially inflating range... it has to be based on actual data from the OEM. But, all OEMs have to submit those 2 cycle numbers. And those 2 cycle numbers are representative of the efficiency in those conditions and can be compared equally across all BEVs.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GWord and dhrivnak
The battery range on Teslas is not adjusted by driving habits - it is based on the EPA range. All the various Model 3s will all show 310 for a full charge. The LR 18" w/aero driver will have a much easier time achieving the range.

I think I see where the discrepancy is. It seems like perhaps the calculation is the same, but range is dependent on the battery state as well. People have reported varying amounts of range at 100 percent

What was the range for your first full charge??

Still it feels weird that RWD 18 aero and P3D+ would read the same at 100 percent because we know that's not the case. Guess that's EPA for you.

I think I see where the discrepancy is. It seems like perhaps the calculation is the same, but range is dependent on the battery state as well. People have reported varying amounts of range at 100 percent

What was the range for your first full charge??

Still it feels weird that RWD 18 aero and P3D+ would read the same at 100 percent because we know that's not the case. Guess that's EPA for you.

The EPA calculated different ranges for RWD vs AWD (not sure if there was a different calculation for P), but Tesla requested 310 for both. Their RWD calculation was considerably more than 310.

I’ve had my car for about 3 weeks. 90% was consistently 279 miles. On Tuesday, charging complete was at 274. I usually drive about 100 miles a day and charge every night for about 4 hours on my mobile charger plugged into a NEMA 14-50 outlet. I average about 28-29 miles per hour. Wednesday was 274. Thursday was 274. I decided to charge to 100% on Friday and it was 305. I will drive it normally this weekend and charge back to 90% and see what I get. Hopefully I get back to 279 and this isn’t a downward trend.

• Helpful
Reactions: Wilsonwww
AWD full charge for me is 304 miles, expected due to my driving habits.
Once again, for those who didn’t see it the first thousand times this has been explained, RATED RANGE HAS NOTHING TO WITH YOUR DRIVING HABITS. Your actual range will be less with more energy consumption, of course, but the rated range that the battery meter displays is based on a constant Wh/mi.

Once again, for those who didn’t see it the first thousand times this has been explained, RATED RANGE HAS NOTHING TO WITH YOUR DRIVING HABITS. Your actual range will be less with more energy consumption, of course, but the rated range that the battery meter displays is based on a constant Wh/mi.

Then someone should post a giant sticky about it, because the owners manual did not mention it and I must have missed it the first 999 times it was apparently posted.

Some other ev do take into account driving habits so you have to understand why people may be confused. See: Teslabjørn

Last edited:
I’ve had my car for about 3 weeks. 90% was consistently 279 miles. On Tuesday, charging complete was at 274. I usually drive about 100 miles a day and charge every night for about 4 hours on my mobile charger plugged into a NEMA 14-50 outlet. I average about 28-29 miles per hour. Wednesday was 274. Thursday was 274. I decided to charge to 100% on Friday and it was 305. I will drive it normally this weekend and charge back to 90% and see what I get. Hopefully I get back to 279 and this isn’t a downward trend.

How many miles have you put on the car? You're going to have to get used to losing battery capacity over time. Even Tesla's battery warranty states that they expect the Model 3 to have 70% minimum after 8 years.

Then someone should post a giant sticky about it, because the owners manual did not mention it and I must have missed it the first 999 times it was apparently posted.

Some other ev do take into account driving habits so you have to understand why people may be confused. See: Teslabjørn
The energy graph in v9 should help people figure out how far they are able to go on a charge, as it is based on how you drive. (there should be a line that shows what the wH/mi you need to make rated range)

Status
Not open for further replies.