Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Battery Degradation One Month (Story)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Go for it! You’re not going to hurt the pack. 10 miles might be pushing it, but 10% or less would probably get the job done : )
Well, I let the battery go down to 17 miles and did a 100% charge last night. It took about 10 hours and got to 295 miles. I tried restarting charging twice this AM to see if it would go higher and it hit 296 for about a minute then went back down. So that is fairly disappointing. 1477 miles on the car. I have always charged to 90% and the battery has stayed mostly in the 65-90% range. Mixed driving, but maybe only 20% highway at speed. Averaging 300 Wh/mile.

Well, I let the battery go down to 17 miles and did a 100% charge last night. It took about 10 hours and got to 295 miles. I tried restarting charging twice this AM to see if it would go higher and it hit 296 for about a minute then went back down. So that is fairly disappointing. 1477 miles on the car. I have always charged to 90% and the battery has stayed mostly in the 65-90% range. Mixed driving, but maybe only 20% highway at speed. Averaging 300 Wh/mile.

Do you the the remote S app? What does that say for capacity?

I’d charge to 100% again tonight. That’s when I saw the range improvements (the second charge after a full charge). Provided your actually using it today : ) To be honest I got down to 10% 2 days in a row and back up to 100%.

Maybe a 90% would show it too..

Do you the the remote S app? What does that say for capacity?

I’d charge to 100% again tonight. That’s when I saw the range improvements (the second charge after a full charge). Provided your actually using it today : ) To be honest I got down to 10% 2 days in a row and back up to 100%.

Maybe a 90% would show it too..
I have an Android phone (Galaxy S9), so no Remote S app. I'll see if I get below 80% today and try charging to 100% again.

Strange. I was a habitual daily-charge-to-70%SOC guy at first, and that drove my calculated rated range max down to the high 280's. Since I've been charging to 90% SOC each day, calculated max is back up to 300, +/- 2 or 3 miles an any given day.

I might go back down to 70%, since now I know that the rated range max drop is more a product of the BMS not being able to calculate a reliable rated range max at such a low charge, rather than a capacity issue.

I might go back down to 70%, since now I know that the rated range max drop is more a product of the BMS not being able to calculate a reliable rated range max at such a low charge, rather than a capacity issue.
But there's no reason to. At 90% daily charge you have the extra range in case something unexpected happens, and more accurate reporting of range. And don't tell me how it's bad for the battery. Even if there's a statistically significant difference that can be measured in lab experiments, there's not been a meaningful difference in more than five years of use in the Model S.

Reactions: ViviV and MP3Mike
Today I charged 100% and got 304 miles. I purposely filled 100% just so the cells can balance and give more accurate reflection of mileage remaining. It doesn't seem to help.

I used to get 279 miles for 90% but now I am getting 273 miles. I have driven 1000 miles so far.

I am getting a little concerned...

Today I charged 100% and got 304 miles. I purposely filled 100% just so the cells can balance and give more accurate reflection of mileage remaining. It doesn't seem to help.

I used to get 279 miles for 90% but now I am getting 273 miles. I have driven 1000 miles so far.

I am getting a little concerned...
6 miles is probably nothing to worry about. My wife’s S was pretty new and we couldn’t ever get it to charge above about 243 of 249 miles, but it hasn’t dropped below about 241 after more than a year. My 3 is charging to only 260 at 90%, so I’m a little concerned. So far balancing/recalibration tricks have not helped much. About 1500 miles.

6 miles is probably nothing to worry about. My wife’s S was pretty new and we couldn’t ever get it to charge above about 243 of 249 miles, but it hasn’t dropped below about 241 after more than a year. My 3 is charging to only 260 at 90%, so I’m a little concerned. So far balancing/recalibration tricks have not helped much. About 1500 miles.
Same boat here. Wife's RWD Model 3 (6,000 miles) gets 279 miles of range at 90% but I only get 260 on my AWD non-performance (2,000 miles). The rebalancing hasn't worked for me either. It's concerning.

Great in depth post there that reinforces most of what we know about charging!

1. The Algorithm that displays state of charge tends to get inaccurate when you don't do deep discharges of the battery or 90% charges.

2. Charging to 70 or 80% is a tiny bit better than 90% for pack health, but poor for monitoring actual range.

3. Something like 5% degradation in the 1st year is expected.

I found this thread very informative. So I thought I'd share my experience on this subject. I have a mid year 2016 MS 90D, live in Florida and have done several 1,200+ mile road trips. I typically charge to 80% when at home doing short trips and recharge when it drops to about 15%-20%. After 2 ½ years and 28,000+ miles it appears as if I've lost 4.4% of the battery capacity - better than I had expected. When I took delivery of the car it was changing to 294 miles, now it only charges to 281 miles, thus the 4.4% capacity loss. Really inconsequential in terms of road trips and I'm pleased with the performance.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61 and EinSV
I had a mobile service technician come out yesterday. He was insistent that the M3 takes driving history into account when calculating rated range. I'm not sure I believe it, but that is what he said.

I have almost 2000 miles on my AWD and my rated range is still trending down. Highest extrapolated range I've ever achieved was 308 at new. I'm currently at 301 (90% charge yields 271).

I do find it interesting that there seems to be a correlation between the variant and rated range folks are reporting; RWD vehicles seem to have no problem maintaining 310+, AWD are seeing 290-300, P 280-300. If there is validity to the claim that rated range factors in driving history, then maybe there is some evidence to support it.

I had a mobile service technician come out yesterday. He was insistent that the M3 takes driving history into account when calculating rated range. I'm not sure I believe it, but that is what he said.

I have almost 2000 miles on my AWD and my rated range is still trending down. Highest extrapolated range I've ever achieved was 308 at new. I'm currently at 301 (90% charge yields 271).

I do find it interesting that there seems to be a correlation between the variant and rated range folks are reporting; RWD vehicles seem to have no problem maintaining 310+, AWD are seeing 290-300, P 280-300. If there is validity to the claim that rated range factors in driving history, then maybe there is some evidence to support it.
Service ran a remote diagnostic on mine and said everything is good. He also insisted driving history is accounted for in the battery indicator range.

I usually drive about 25km a day and have the charge set to 75% midnight charging.

I don't drive much so it will take a while, but I am going to do a few 10-90% charges to see if that improves things.

My 0%-100% Battery Reset Experience, picked up 4 miles ;)

I only had 299 mi on a Model 3 with ~7,000 mi on it (V9 now). I recently did some superchargers (1,600 mi to the Tesla Factory and back). SC told me that some of my cells might have been passed up or skipped due to these consecutive fast charges and that I should take it down to 20%. (FYI, as some have stated here, my Supercharges were typically 25%-75% which only takes only 15 min for a 50% charge in this range, and I've documented it several times. It could be that I was just out of calibration as other's have written here by not taking to 90% for some time.)

I realize that you should never let it sit unplugged, but I've been told on previous visits that a drain->recharge is OK (how else are people doing endurance tests and holding records on most miles travelled on a single charge). So I drained it to 0% and immediately recharged at 32A all night (not 48A as I installed the stock charger which is plenty). Got it back to 303 mi for a gain of 4 miles ;)

Here's a graph of the experience... interestingly, it wasn't until I hit 2 miles remaining that the car told me that I needed to plan my next charge, LOL (really loud)! Maybe it knew I was close to the mall or home, who knows. Also, I had to try it once, but I did 0-60 in about 6 seconds much to my surprise... so these batteries are nowhere near empty at 0% IMO. Also, with Headlights, Stereo, A/C, 5 seat heaters all on, in the garage, the headlights didn't even dim. I was looking closely on those heavy bass notes - nothing but full brightness. I'm sure I could have kept going a while, but figured long enough - time to charge.

20181027_170208.jpg

Full Charge.jpg

It all looks normal to me, but I cannot recommend taking it this low. I'm just a "what would happen if..." and "why not" kinda guy. Actual max was 302.99 and it dropped back to 300 mi by morning (sitting ~6 hrs). I need to bleed some off now ASAP (also no good to let 100% sit so I've been told). Nice acceleration at this charge for sure! Definitely quicker than 5 sec.

Reactions: RyanT and navguy12
NEW NEWS from Tesla Executive Customer person - I think it means that it doesn't count driving style, but DOES lose accuracy based on charging level...so you have more miles than than indicated, i.e., maybe you could drive more miles than expected from range estimate and wh/mi; somehow it would slide the estimate non-linearly as charge decreased:
---------------------
We have found that in cases where the battery is consistently charged to a lower state of charge, between 60-80% capacity, estimation becomes less accurate and tends to underestimate the true capacity of the battery. The result is an incorrect reduction in the displayed range estimate. This does not affect the true range of the vehicle, as the end-of-drive conditions are based on real-time battery measurements of reducing battery power, rather than software estimates. In any case, we recognize the inconvenience and negative user experience associated with this incorrect and reduced range estimate, and we are developing more accurate estimation algorithms which will be pushed over the air to the car when available. In the meantime I would recommend scheduling a service appointment through your Tesla account online and our technicians can assist in a kind of re-calibration for the range estimates you are current seeing.

Best regards,
XXXXX, Executive Care
-----------------------------
I have an appt with service; we'll see if anything changes...they have checked the battery previously, but NOT "re-calibrated".

Kcharwood - make sure that they don't just check your battery, but also go through the re-calibration procedure...
They initially replied and gave me the “model 3 is just getting smarter about your driving habits.”

I gave them my total wh/m and the wh/m from the last 2000 miles and told them that wasn’t possible. They then said they would get me in for an appointment next week.

Reactions: gzerninplatz
Status
Not open for further replies.