Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Battery Degradation One Month (Story)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a promising start to my appt this morning. Technician was saying this is normal. Shouldn’t be worried. He will look but doesn’t think he will find anything.

He ended by saying “you’ve never had an EV before have you?”

My current 100% charge is 285 miles

Thanks for posting this it goes with the point I was just going to make.

Don't you all think Tesla needs to come up with a better way to display range in mile???

Come on all this calibration is crazy, I mean sure us guys on here we all get into all this stuff. But Tesla is marketing this car at the masses. The average person buying a Model 3 who is not into cars like us is not going to do any recalibration. They are just going to do what the manual says, charge and drive. So if Tesla does not want to lose the common buyer they need to fix things like this.

Now I see average housewifes with kids in a model 3, guys that have no idea about electric cars, they just bought it, my neighbor has no idea he just plugs it in and drives it has no interested in all the tech stuff. So ppl like this are not interested is recalibrating anything, they bought the car to replace their daily driver. This is the market Tesla targeted, not us guys that would all jump at the chance to be Beta testers.

So I ask again don't you think Tesla needs to fix this?

Maybe Tesla should have more indicators like some others do, Range in miles, battery health, charge level.

All I can say is showing charge level and range in miles is not working if it needs to be recalibrated all the time.

Well, sure, I agree in principle. I think the real challenge here is the EV is just a different beast than the gas car. Estimating range on an EV simply is not as straightforward as it is in an ICE, it seems. You don't want to over-estimate. Then folks get unhappy that they couldn't go as far as their car said it could go. When you underestimate, folks are unhappy that they seem to have lost range. In my experience accurately measuring battery capacity and remaining capacity left is a notoriously tough thing to do.

I'm not saying Tesla shouldn't come up with something clever to fix this, just that it seems to be a particularly tough nut to crack, as is evidenced by all of us on this and other forums trying to figure it out and the lack of anything definite from Tesla.

As "first adopters" of sorts, that even us Mod 3 owners still are (total number of EVs on the road remains a very tiny fraction), these sorts of things are what we typically know to expect and are willing to roll up our sleeves and figure it out. Mass market folks, such as they are, may not have that same desire or willingness.

Fingers crossed they come up with something.

Not a promising start to my appt this morning. Technician was saying this is normal. Shouldn’t be worried. He will look but doesn’t think he will find anything.

How low have you drained the battery? Have you tried Remote S (if you have an iPhone) to see what it thinks the capacity of your battery is?

Charged today to 248 miles at 80%, 2400 miles on the odometer now.

I had been backing off a bit from being so anal about worrying just how much range I had lost. I figured that if I was questing for perfect numbers I would probably start doing silly stuff like charging to 100% just to try to display the full 310 miles again. In the quest to "make the numbers right" I might actually be wearing my battery than for no other reason but to see numbers. I decided to take a more reasonable approach and just charge it to 80% and not worry about full charge numbers until I had a reason to full charge such as a long trip.

After the first couple weeks after seeing very good numbers, my 80% charge number had dropped to 241 (still very good). I just decided to keep doing what I was doing instead of chasing numbers. Charge to 80% daily, and to 90% on Friday for weekend fun. This past weekend I also supercharged about 100 miles worth. Interesting that each time I have gotten full range is just after supercharging.

To this point I have only full charged once to 100%

Reactions: DR61
I am still on 2018.42.2 19e7e44 and like other most all charges stop 1% before the actual limit (as seen in my chart). My last charge did go to 90% but seems I lost some range. Hard to say waiting on the next update to see what happens. But still say you cannot beat TeslaFi for tracking exactly what is going on.
Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 2.24.47 PM.png

Reactions: djgarrett21

That's like an 8% loss seems excessive to me depends on how you are charging. If you have not gone low lately that could be some of the issue. But I don't find to much help in dropping that low as I have gone down to 30-40 miles left and then full very little improvement. But I normally drop under 170 miles left every day so I am not generally shallow charging. If you are driving 10 miles a day and then charging again that could cause some of what you are seeing. I would drop down as low as you can go and then do a 90% and see where that lands in range. I will see if things improve over the next several updates but when most of us are on the same version and seeing such variations in range begs to wonder if the issue is not the battery itself.

I am still on 2018.42.2 19e7e44 and like other most all charges stop 1% before the actual limit (as seen in my chart). My last charge did go to 90% but seems I lost some range. Hard to say waiting on the next update to see what happens. But still say you cannot beat TeslaFi for tracking exactly what is going on

I think i know why you are seeing this, it looks like you typically only drive ~100 miles in between charges. You should try depleting your battery further (maybe to 25%) and then charge it and see what you get.

I think i know why you are seeing this, it looks like you typically only drive ~100 miles in between charges. You should try depleting your battery further (maybe to 25%) and then charge it and see what you get.

True about a 100-125 but I have done a few down to 20% and odd those seem to stop with less total miles. Now the past few days I have done 4 very shallow charges of just 10-20 miles and odd that seems to have improved range.

I find the whole thing very odd I do shallow charges pick up 3 miles, I do a drip to 20% I lose range other do the same thing and get opposite results.

Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 2.03.52 PM.png

Weird, here's my chart for reference - i was getting concerned when it went under 305, but now its come right back up!

View attachment 351450

I see you are a few firmware version up from me I have seen several ppl post that the later versions improve total range est. Really I think there should be a Battery Health indicator not just range. Range can be affected by many things driving habits, seat heater use, heat use, settings like regen, so since we have no idea how they really come up with the number it may not be a good indicator or actual health.

Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 8.20.33 AM.png
Odd I just got upgraded to really the same version mostly even though there are 5 newer versions available. I was hoping to get one of the newer versions to see what that did to the range. This part I don't get why spend the time and effort to send me an update to a software that already is 5x out of date.

View attachment 351923 Odd I just got upgraded to really the same version mostly even though there are 5 newer versions available. I was hoping to get one of the newer versions to see what that did to the range. This part I don't get why spend the time and effort to send me an update to a software that already is 5x out of date.
I just got it too. Someone before thought it could be for early access folks or perhaps a a precursor for one of the later ones...i thought i saw that people have reported issues installing.42.3 and 42.4.

Status
Not open for further replies.