Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 "Performance Brake Calipers" just red or different altogether?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they're 355mm rotors like I think they are (same size as Model S) then they should fit under the 18's (just barely). Granted these are the configurator renderings, but I'm 99% sure the rotors are bigger than the standard 320mm. Plus Elon has essentially confirmed that on twitter.

20" wheels on both for comparison:

compositor-2.jpeg
compositor.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: brianman and ryanjm
If they're 355mm rotors like I think they are (same size as Model S) then they should fit under the 18's (just barely). Granted these are the configurator renderings, but I'm 99% sure the rotors are bigger than the standard 320mm. Plus Elon has essentially confirmed that on twitter.

20" wheels on both for comparison:

I'm confused a bit. How did you get a render of the 20's with standard brakes? Is that available with the Dual? We need a render of a Performance with 18's and hopefully see the line of where the rotor is. We want to know if the brakes on the P w/ 18's have the same brakes as with Performance Upgrade/20's aside from red color.

I'm confused a bit. How did you get a render of the 20's with standard brakes? Is that available with the Dual? We need a render of a Performance with 18's and hopefully see the line of where the rotor is. We want to know if the brakes on the P w/ 18's have the same brakes as with Performance Upgrade/20's aside from red color.
Agreed, I think a lot of people want to know that (myself included). Based purely on the wording in the configurator and the $5k pricetag, I'm assuming the larger brakes aren't on the 18" P model. That's just my personal speculation though.

The renderings are pulled from Tesla's configurator source code. A reddit user compiled them all together here:
Tesla Preview

Reactions: crmatson and ppower
Well, we know the inner diameter of the 20" and 18" wheels (since people here have both already), we know the dimensions of the stock brakes, and we have side-on image assets... couldn't someone do a superimpose and scale to determine the dimensions of the performance brakes and whether they'll fit in the 18" aeros? It's a start.

Agreed, I think a lot of people want to know that (myself included). Based purely on the wording in the configurator and the $5k pricetag, I'm assuming the larger brakes aren't on the 18" P model. That's just my personal speculation though.

The renderings are pulled from Tesla's configurator source code. A reddit user compiled them all together here:
Tesla Preview

Got it. Just wanted to clarify because we know that the Performance is to get better (bigger) brakes. Just trying to make sense of the Upgrade and if it is worth it. So far, I'm having a hard time seeing the value. Help me with my ignorance of how to use the link. Can you show a Performance with 18's vs a RWD with 18's? I want to know if the brakes still look bigger.

Well, we know the inner diameter of the 20" and 18" wheels (since people here have both already), we know the dimensions of the stock brakes, and we have side-on image assets... couldn't someone do a superimpose and scale to determine the dimensions of the performance brakes and whether they'll fit in the 18" aeros? It's a start.

Somebody just verified that the P w/ 20's can use the 18" winter wheel set, so yes it fits. Question is if the P w/ 18's get the same brakes.

Got it. Just wanted to clarify because we know that the Performance is to get better (bigger) brakes. Just trying to make sense of the Upgrade and if it is worth it. So far, I'm having a hard time seeing the value. Help me with my ignorance of how to use the link. Can you show a Performance with 18's vs a RWD with 18's? I want to know if the brakes still look bigger.
It doesn't appear to have that option sadly since all the renders are sourced from the Tesla configurator. I think the best bet is for someone to just call and get Tesla to actually confirm exactly what is and isn't included (and for Tesla to get better at communication in general).

It doesn't appear to have that option sadly since all the renders are sourced from the Tesla configurator. I think the best bet is for someone to just call and get Tesla to actually confirm exactly what is and isn't included (and for Tesla to get better at communication in general).

That is exactly what I have done. I called this morning and she was hoping to be able to call me back today with clarification. It is 5 minutes until they close, so it won't be today. So we wait and wonder.....

• Helpful
Reactions: FlyNavy01
I would bet that they will fit, but as I just commented, it looks slightly lowered already similar to what the UP springs would yield. If so, the struts/shocks are upgraded to handle that, and I might just get UP moderate springs instead of coilovers.

For what it's worth, just based on the configurator renders, brake rotors look identical whether you pick the Performance upgrade or not.

Can't tell whether the calipers are the same but painted different colors or different altogether because the aero wheels do not show as much of the calipers in the images. I did the comparison using the front 3/4 view.

I just got a call from Tesla. I signed up yesterday for a Model3 test drive when it's available in my area, so they must be bugging me since it's EOQ. He seemed to be pushing me towards an S since he asked if I've test drove one and if I was ready to order. I told him I was already configuring my model3 but had q about the performance upgrade and if the brakes are any different from non-P. He put me on hold and asked someone else - They think it's the same but just painted red. I don't think anybody really knows. :(