Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 "Performance Brake Calipers" just red or different altogether?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really hope the base performance version get all of these:

Tesla didn’t skimp on the suspension bits: upper and lower A arms of steel and composite overmolding with virtual steer axis geometry, twin-tube coilovers and anti-roll bar in front; in the rear, a multi-link geometry, also with twin-tube shocks and anti-roll bar.

Reactions: heems
Sounds like the Tesla PS4S's with 500 tread wear rating are optimized for lower rolling resistance to increase range.

Will need a few more reports to verify, but this data point suggests less sticky than the non-OEM PS4S with their 300 rating. Downside would be fewer miles. Serious trackers will want wider wheels. If 19” wheels fit over the big brakes, then 19x9 or wider with stickier rubber should work well. That said, if the performance AWD can do 0-60 in 3.5s with stock tires, there’s room for faster times with stickier tires, if software is not limiting acceleration.

The whole big wheel thing began when people needed to go to larger diameter wheels to fit bigger brakes on their track cars. Soon became a style statement, often with the small brakes still inside the giant wheels.

Bigger wheels with thinner tires look great, but they ride rough, get less fuel economy, break easier over pot holes, wear faster, cost more, weigh more and generally handle worse.

Just for fun I checked the configurator again and here is the new description for the wheels/brakes section of the Performance Upgrade package:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 10.11.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 10.11.56 PM.png
    648.5 KB · Views: 423
Just for fun I checked the configurator again and here is the new description for the wheels/brakes section of the Performance Upgrade package:

I just saw that in my configurator as well. So I guess it's confirmed for certain, it's truly a big brake kit and not just the standard calipers painted red (even though we could see that they were different). The configurator specifically states, "Larger, stiffer calipers", and then we also have confirmation of the "two-piece discs" (which we could also see from the scalloped portion in pictures). At least we're getting some solid information now. Cheers!

-Shane

Indeed. Kinda a bummer that the suspension drop is with the big brake and rim bits.. I suppose there is the aftermarket... bigger bummer is that most folks on these forums (guessing) already ordered their cars based on the sheer weight of .... guessing...

Yep, I ordered on a sheer guess (and a hope and a wish for additional goodies - special modes/ludicrous etc).

I may be selling my springs for aftermarket if it's not a low enough drop, and possibly the 20s. Who's interested?? :D