Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 "Performance Brake Calipers" just red or different altogether?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice!
Has Eibach confirmed a set?? I'd love to go with Eibach, as I've always enjoyed their feel and stance.

Tentatively planning on Wedssports now on Eibachs. (Still need to confirm the fitment of the Wedssports @ 19x9 +35 & 19x10 +42).

Not confirmed, but they're coming (a little birdie told me). :)

Oh, sweet! I had a nice set of Weds on a Subaru STi back in the day, great choice. Maybe we can talk offline a bit so we don't disrupt this thread too much. *thumbs up*

-Shane

I may be selling my springs for aftermarket if it's not a low enough drop, and possibly the 20s. Who's interested?? :D

to my knowledge we've had no confirmation the springs on the P, even with the 5k upgrade, are any different than the stock springs.

In fact being exclusive to the 20" package reinforces the idea the "lowered suspension" is just a geometry change for the 20s... "brakes don't fit" would be a valid reason not to offer them on the "regular" P but can't think of any reason they wouldn't offer the tiny .39" drop on the regular P if it was a "real" performance-oriented handling change to stuff like springs.

to my knowledge we've had no confirmation the springs on the P, even with the 5k upgrade, are any different than the stock springs.

In fact being exclusive to the 20" package reinforces the idea the "lowered suspension" is just a geometry change for the 20s... "brakes don't fit" would be a valid reason not to offer them on the "regular" P but can't think of any reason they wouldn't offer the tiny .39" drop on the regular P if it was a "real" performance-oriented handling change to stuff like springs.

I would find it even more half-baked to put a big brake kit on a car without stiffening the sway bars or springs, but yeah, no confirmation of anything. All I know is Elon was pretty confident it would beat "anything in its class on the track", so if I were him, I would beef up the suspension. But then again, the 20" tires are PS4S-lite so who knows.

Just for fun I checked the configurator again and here is the new description for the wheels/brakes section of the Performance Upgrade package:

Well done … :cool:

screen-shot-2018-07-19-at-10-11-56-pm-png.318319

No I am not going by looks I am going by the specs they've stated.

screen-shot-2018-06-27-at-4-55-22-pm-png.312910

So the rears are the same size and the fronts go up from 320 to 355. While the Mountainpass ones are 365 mm and they are slotted with air pump vanes and weigh the same as the 320 mm stock. To me the Mountainpass ones seem better and have been track tested.

These numbers are only the outer diameter. We don't know what the swept area is. If the caliper is larger and has a "taller" pad, a 355mm outer diameter rotor can provide more braking than a 365mm rotor.

Looks great!

Front shot? I want to see the poke.
Spacers?
Offset?

Thank you! :)

Unfortunately, those are the only three shots I have. I was actually just test fitting them for HRE, and only put them on for a brief time. For more specifics on the wheel setup, I'd reach out directly to HRE at [email protected].

Here's the setup I'll be getting for my Performance Model 3 (Pearl White Multi-Coat instead of the Midnight Silver Metallic though)...

HRE P204's in Brushed Dark Clear rendered in place of the FF01's that were on my car:

ShaneXman_Model3_HRE_P204.jpeg

-Shane

Nice!
Has Eibach confirmed a set?? I'd love to go with Eibach, as I've always enjoyed their feel and stance.

Tentatively planning on Wedssports now on Eibachs. (Still need to confirm the fitment of the Wedssports @ 19x9 +35 & 19x10 +42).

Somebody just posted on one of the FB 3 groups that Eibach springs arrived. Posted a picture of the box. From what others are using, your 9" +35 / 10" +42 are just fine.

• Love
Reactions: SD_Engnr
It sounds like there is still confusion by some even after this has grown to 28!! pages. Thankfully, even though Tesla hasn't given us specifics, the Performance Upgrade now has a better listing showing that the package includes:
  • 20” Performance Wheels
  • Performance Brakes
  • Carbon fiber spoiler
  • Lowered suspension
  • Aluminum alloy pedals
  • Increased top speed from 145mph to 155mph

A couple of other things:
It isn't clear to me if the dual tube shocks & struts are tuned differently than the others or which suspension parts exactly are different. Hopefully the dampers are revised and would make them even better suited to using lowering springs.

It is possible that 18's will fit. Before the changes occurred that created the PU, on the first page here (post 20), Big Ern had confirmed that the 18" winter set fits. The S uses a 355mm rotor as well, and it isn't the brake that is the limitation but the steering knuckle behind it. I see no reason how that would be different between the regular and PU models, so the 18's have a high likelihood of fitting. Hopefully somebody will try fitment once they get ahold of one. I like the idea of using some lightweight 18x9.5 Enkei RPF1's with a meaty square setup.

since everyone is guessing - they would mention what the upgrade was if it were truly meaningful
red calipers- $250 from MGP or DIY paint
20" wheels/tires - $2500 Tire rack
spoiler - $200 from the interweb
remember - Elon is all about overpromise/underdeliver (and profit)
Wrong.
There is a 10-mile computer controlled speed ceiling increase to + package.
This is something you cannot do in any other way (other than hacking the computer system ... unlikely)
Look, if you can find another stock car that does 0-60 in 3.3 secs for < $71k, have at it. No such car exists.
Stop bitching you got a similar car (just without the 20" wheels) and can upgrade everything but the top speed, later.
I am about to throw up everyone says "Oh you paid $5k for paint" - go to @@@ you people you are DEAD WRONG there
is value for money the + package even if your brain cannot understand it.
Probably a huge part of the $5k package was going to be insurance to Tesla against early drivetrain wearouts.
You didn't think Elon was giving away the performance package did you? Do you want Tesla out of business?

If you got the $65k car and want to lower it and add 20" wheels, just get everything from www.mountainpassperformance.com (big brake kit, new toe arms). Sasha Anis is a very successful canadian pro racer (he holds records at the toronto motorsports track) and his mods made a stock RWD model 3 eight seconds (9%) faster on that track.

Last edited: