TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 "Performance Brake Calipers" just red or different altogether?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by fiksegts, Jun 27, 2018.

1. b0n3z

b0n3z Supporting Member

I also believe the linkage is different. So even if the discs and calipers do fit within a 19" wheel - the other hardware may not. But again, that's just an opinion. Until I jack up this car and take measurements, I can't truly confirm.

-b0n3z

2. Shizzrock

Shizzrock Member

It has already been confirmed to be a different rear brake.

3. Shizzrock

Shizzrock Member

Tesla has confirmed it is a "lightweight two-piece rotor"

4. Evoixse

Evoixse Member

damn now i kinda want to go back to the base performance model and just get autopilot instead....if i only knew for sure i still get track mode on the standard P3D

5. Evoixse

Evoixse Member

obviously not....lol

6. Powered By Jay

No, it still could be true.

7. Powered By Jay

After looking at @b0n3z pictures of the rear calipers even more, I tried looking for brembo calipers that look similar.
    It's interesting because from the outside view you can only see one piece. This is normally the case for fixed calipers with piston(s) in the inside and outside half, but it doesn't appear there is space for a piston in this case. That means it should be a sliding type caliper, but sliding type calipers typically have a fixed piece surrounding the sliding piece, similar to the AMG picture provided by @Warren-RB . This isn't the case for the performance upgrade rear caliper, which again only has one piece visible from the outside.

Anyway, I googled brembo calipers and found the following new product that brembo announced in April of last year.
    Latest Brembo calipers are a lesson in lightweight packaging

It appears that this could be the technology used for these rear calipers with just a change in aesthetics. What do you guys think?
    Looking forward to @b0n3z or someone with the performance upgrade brakes taking a wheel off and getting some pictures all around the calipers.

• Informative x 1
  8. Lucky13

Lucky13 Member

That would be pretty cool. I just wish they would release specifics

9. ronin

ronin Member

I hear ya. Now I wish I didn’t fuss with Tesla to add the PUP while honoring my old pricing.

First time I asked them, they said no to upgrade without a change fee. Maybe I should have quit then lol.

10. b0n3z

b0n3z Supporting Member

So just to let everyone know. We should have a more official answer by noon Sunday. Hopefully where I'm going they have the proper jack points to lift the car and they are going to inspect them.

-b0n3z

• Like x 1
  11. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Active Member

#631 SD_Engnr, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  12. Powered By Jay

At the very least, we now have confirmation of something. They are brembos (circle b logo on top)

• Like x 1
  13. Adam3

Adam3 Member

I thought stock are Brembo too?

• Like x 1
  14. Powered By Jay

I don't believe the rears are, but I don't have a reference to confirm.

15. Powered By Jay

So, @SD_Engnr 's first pic does look somewhat like the Brembo ECS calipers, which are used for the Alpine A110 rear brakes. You can see the black gearmotor and the hole for the hydraulic line in the same location as the performance upgrade calipers.

BREMBO-ECS-caliper.jpg

Something else interesting is it appears the Alpine A110 may be using these calipers in lieu of a mechanical differential.
    If it turns out the performance upgrade brakes are similar, could these calipers be utilized for "track mode"?
    Hmmmmm.

Alpine A110: 1080kg sports car shown in production form – Geneva 2017
    "There’s no mechanical limited slip diff, with Alpine opting for a brake-based e-diff. "

Alpine A110 (2018) review: simply the best
    "A mechanical limited-slip differential isn’t included. Instead, the ESC-based braking helps to juggle torque between the rear wheels."

• Informative x 1
  16. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Tesla uses an open differential with the brakes/ESC to handle slip on S,X,and 3.

17. Lucky13

Lucky13 Member

Is it me or do these rotors not look like 2 piece?

18. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Active Member

They certainly don't look like the traditional 2 piece rotors. I debated removing the rotor yesterday to inspect, but opted not to.

19. TexasTeslaRacing

I believe the RWD brakes might be Mando’s.

20. Powered By Jay

They do look like 2 piece. Just not traditional ones. Look at the picture from @b0n3z that I marked up on post #622. There is a gap where the teeth of the hat meet the center of the ring.