Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 "Performance Brake Calipers" just red or different altogether?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon claims they are "sport level" which leads me to believe they are different. My guess is slightly bigger.

Elon Musk on Twitter

The challenge is that tweet was before the "Performance Upgrade" was separated from "performance". So is the "performance upgrade" just red calipers (plus wheels/spoiler/pedals) and the non-upgrade still has sport callipers? If not, is P just a software upgrade? I've never seen such an expensive car with so little details.

Why does Performance say it includes "Top speed: up to 155 mph" but the upgrade says it includes "Increased top speed from 145mph to 155mph" - is this not the same thing?

Do you think $5k is worth it?

performance.png upgrade.png

The most important question for me with the "Performance Upgrade" is to know if the car will have better handling with this pack installed or will be just an aesthetic thing...

I mean, will the Model 3 suspension be tweaked for the 20" rims use? Are the "red calipers" calibrated for the brake force of the Model 3 mass at high speeds to reduce overheat? Does the "carbon spoiler" make any (enough) down force to be of any help at high speeds ?

If not, then clearly $5k may be "too much" for just a decorative thing...Of course, a Model 3 Performance version with just the "standard equipment" might raise some concerns too..for instance, does the 3.5 secs (0-60) can be achieved with the standard 18" wheels and tires ?

I think I will wait for the tests of the Performance Model 3 before making a decision.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
The upgrade doesn't say anything about performance brakes or suspension, just the max speed raised. Everything else listed is cosmetic .

edit: I see it at the bottom in smaller font now. But doesnt the performance model 3 come with that?

Check these images:
wXee_bX9.png
YzCL-pt3.png

Here they mention the 20" Performance Wheels and the "Performance brake calipers"...but this is irrelevant without knowing 1) if the rest of the car is modified to better use this equipment as well and 2) if this equipment is calibrated for the Model 3 Performance specifications.

For instance, some test reviews referred that Model 3 LR RWD with 19" wheels have a clear better handling than with 18" wheels...they also think that the Model 3 suspension was specific calibrated for the 19" wheels...18" wheels is only appropriate to try to get the maximum range possible.

Like I posted in the the other forum... Upgraded brakes aren't listed in the bullet point features section for the package (despite being the reason to buy the package if upgraded brakes are exclusive to the package), they're only mentioned in the caption below the photo of the silly wheels, and the "performance brake calipers" wording is oddly specific (you don't just upgrade calipers and leave the rotors the same) and leads me to think they're referring to "performance red" or something like that. I mean, F80 and E90 M3 brakes fit inside 18" wheels... so I doubt wheel size has anything to do with it. Also, the package pricing is more in line with what Tesla charged for the 20" wheels ($4k) plus what they would likely charge for the stick-ons.

Wait, the theme with the package is stick-on bling... stupid thought: maybe the red calipers are really just red caliper covers that are installed at the delivery center along with the other stick-ons? ;)

Since the width and overall diameter of the tires stays the same, all you're gaining with the bigger wheels are better included tires (the vast majority of the difference is here) and slightly improved cornering feel due to the shorter, stiffer sidewall. Michelin makes the Pilot Sport 4S tires in 235/45R18 that will fit the aero wheels. On the topic of tires, I'm pretty sure the stock MXM4s are W-rated (168mph), so I'm not sure what the deal is with the software speed limiting.

The challenge is that tweet was before the "Performance Upgrade" was separated from "performance". So is the "performance upgrade" just red calipers (plus wheels/spoiler/pedals) and the non-upgrade still has sport callipers? If not, is P just a software upgrade? I've never seen such an expensive car with so little details.

Why does Performance say it includes "Top speed: up to 155 mph" but the upgrade says it includes "Increased top speed from 145mph to 155mph" - is this not the same thing?

Do you think $5k is worth it?

View attachment 312796 View attachment 312797

I imagine the larger brakes are tied in with the 20" wheels, which this option adds. Just a guess of course. Agree the wording is vague - I'd suggest tweeting Elon.

Possibly same brake calipers and different rotors, but I believe its different calipers, pads and rotors. That's totally assuming, but I would hope Tesla would have upgraded the brakes for better track use.
There was some dissection in this thread, albeit off-topic, that I believe the caliper is different as well as the rotors. This particular post shows zoomed in pictures although not the best quality. The performance caliper sure looks bigger and seems to have different profile than the standard caliper. The performance caliper looks like 6 piston Brembo assuming the standard are just 4-piston.
First dual motor performance Model 3 rolls off the line

Haven't been on the forum in a long while as I've been on FB groups instead, but I'm working on figuring this out. It came up because I posted that calling Tesla, they allowed me to take off the Performance Upgrade but add back on 19's for $1500. Somebody mentioned that I'd lose the Performance brakes. Frankly, the ambiguity from Tesla is really irritating me. I made another call back to Tesla, and after being put on hold for the person to get answers from somebody else, she said the "performance caliper" had something to do with heat. In the end, she is going to get more clarification of exactly what is different and call me back. If the caliper is indeed different, it has larger pistons and likely different pads. One said that they think the performance brakes look bigger in the configurator, but since it is a rendering, I take appearances like that with a grain of salt between the 18's and 20's. If it is in fact an entire BBK upgrade, the $5000 is worth it, yet why would they not promote that as a bullet point of what is included in the Performance Upgrade?! It boggles the mind. Anyway, if anybody else get concrete answers, post away in here. I'll do the same.

Put this way, the package isn't a terrible deal. The other option on the brakes is to get the lighter weight and larger 365mm rotors from Mountain Pass ($1400) and some upgraded pads. Get some $50 caliper paint while you're already working on them.

$2000 20" over 18" upgrade cost
$1500 CF spoiler (RPM's is $999 plus install and not as nice)
$100 pedals
$1400 BBK w/ 1 piece rotors
$5000

If the rotor is in fact larger, Tesla was ready to hose people who specified Performance with 18" wheels and pay the same because larger rotors likely wouldn't fit. They don't with the Mountain Pass rotors. MPP Page Mill 365mm Big Brake Kit