Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Changes [in suspension and tires]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

Patiently waiting on my M3P delivery and came across some pictures of an Air Suspension light on the newest rounds of updates... Kind of surprised to not see more people talking about this and actually has me considering canceling my delivery...

I've heard the ride of the Performance is harsh because of the stretch tires, so feel like this would be a stellar upgrade. Does anyone have any more insights into this?

you may want to consider the SR/LR if comfort is your concern.
Yeah, I drove the LR but it just felt a bit sloppy when pushed... The store unfortunately did not and has not had a Performance available to test drive for the past two months, so I ordered the Performance without ever driving it. I've read a lot about the ride quality on the new Uberturbines being harsh because of the width of the wheel, so am a bit concerned.

The idea of an air suspension though seems amazing.

Hi Everyone,

Patiently waiting on my M3P delivery and came across some pictures of an Air Suspension light on the newest rounds of updates... Kind of surprised to not see more people talking about this and actually has me considering canceling my delivery...

I've heard the ride of the Performance is harsh because of the stretch tires, so feel like this would be a stellar upgrade. Does anyone have any more insights into this?
What are "stretch tires"? Tesla uses the correct size tires and doesn't stretch them if you're talking about that stupid trend of putting under width tires on wide rims.

What are "stretch tires"? Tesla uses the correct size tires and doesn't stretch them if you're talking about that stupid trend of putting under width tires on wide rims.
Actually the opposite.. From what I understand the new Uberturbine wheels are 0.5 inches too wide for the tire they are mounted on, so the tire is "stretched" to compensate. There are a few videos on YT comparing the old wheel/tire combo vs the current, and the conclusion is that it is a harsher ride.

Actually the opposite.. From what I understand the new Uberturbine wheels are 0.5 inches too wide for the tire they are mounted on, so the tire is "stretched" to compensate. There are a few videos on YT comparing the old wheel/tire combo vs the current, and the conclusion is that it is a harsher ride.
I can assure you with 100% confidence, that the NHTSA would not allow Tesla to put an incorrect sized tire on a wheel out of the factory.

Just because it CAN have a wider tire, doesn't mean the oem tire is stretched beyond its application specs.

Hi Everyone,

The tires are not stretched. Technically speaking that means that the rim mounting distance is greater than the section width which is not true in this case. However they've gone to the Pirelli PZero and away from the better riding and better performing Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. They've also added 2lbs to the weight of the wheel in widening it to 9 in wide. Both of those (in many of our estimations) were mistakes, most especially the switch away from the Pilot Sport 4S. What you can do is sell the boat anchor wheels and the less than stellar tires and get a proper forged set with the Pilot Sport 4s.

Well you got the right answer it is harsher riding but you got the wrong math. It's harder riding because the p Zero is a poorer riding tire than the Pilot Sport 4S and it's also poorer riding because there's an extra 2 lb of unsprung weight in the Uber turbine wheel. The tire is not stretched. Technically that refers to a wheel wdith greater than the section width of the tire. Check the stats on the 235 PZero section with it's actually just over 9 in. You might check your facts before you make these kinds of assertions.

Actually, I picked up my 2021 Model 3 Perf with the uberturbine.

they're 20x9 et34 on a 235/35/20 Pirelli tire. It is in fact, STRETCHED from factory.

A 9" wheel should be running a 245 or even a 255 depending on tire brand and sidewall design for a flat, rounded edge.

The Pirellis are definitely stretched and even my girlfriend could spot that when we picked up the car from the port.

• Disagree
Reactions: Sam1 and dfwatt
Well you got the right answer it is harsher riding but you got the wrong math. It's harder riding because the p Zero is a poorer riding tire than the Pilot Sport 4S and it's also poorer riding because there's an extra 2 lb of unsprung weight in the Uber turbine wheel. The tire is not stretched. Technically that refers to a wheel wdith greater than the section width of the tire. Check the stats on the 235 PZero section with it's actually just over 9 in. You might check your facts before you make these kinds of assertions.

Actually, the width of the rim being a 9" and the 235/35/20 Pirelli being just over 9" doesn't mean on the rim itself won't have any stretch.

The tire sidewall profile also takes into consideration. Different brands will exhibit different side wall profile on the same width wheel. If you run a federal 595 tire versus a Falken FK512, the same 235 will stretch differently on the same 9" wheel.

I recently swapped a 295/30/20 Michelin Cup 2 tire to a 295/30/20 Michelin PS4S for my Porsche, and the amount of stretch that the PS4S yielded over the Cup 2 would make people believe I went DOWN to a 275/30/20 on the same 11" rear wheel.

So yes, visually, the Pirelli acoustic tire on the Uberturbine is "stretched" on an angle relative to the same section width Michelin PS4S.

But in terms of comfort, honestly, go down to a 19" wheel if you want more comfort than compare two different 20" wheel.

Actually, the width of the rim being a 9" and the 235/35/20 Pirelli being just over 9" doesn't mean on the rim itself won't have any stretch.

The tire sidewall profile also takes into consideration. Different brands will exhibit different side wall profile on the same width wheel. If you run a federal 595 tire versus a Falken FK512, the same 235 will stretch differently on the same 9" wheel.

I recently swapped a 295/30/20 Michelin Cup 2 tire to a 295/30/20 Michelin PS4S for my Porsche, and the amount of stretch that the PS4S yielded over the Cup 2 would make people believe I went DOWN to a 275/30/20 on the same 11" rear wheel.

So yes, visually, the Pirelli acoustic tire on the Uberturbine is "stretched" on an angle relative to the same section width Michelin PS4S.

But in terms of comfort, honestly, go down to a 19" wheel if you want more comfort than compare two different 20" wheel.
Just because the tread width looks thinner, doesn't mean the tire is stretched. I took these two screenshots of the OEM Pirelli and OEM PS4S. The Pirelli has 7.9" of tread width and the PS4S has 8.8" ... So of course the Pirelli will look "stretched" compared to the Michelin, but it was designed that way & not incorrectly fitted by Tesla.

Screenshot_20210318-201226.png

Screenshot_20210318-201155.png

Reactions: dfwatt
Yeah, I drove the LR but it just felt a bit sloppy when pushed... The store unfortunately did not and has not had a Performance available to test drive for the past two months, so I ordered the Performance without ever driving it. I've read a lot about the ride quality on the new Uberturbines being harsh because of the width of the wheel, so am a bit concerned.

If you are concerned about not being able to drive a Performance model, don't be. I've been a sports car driver for about 55 years and did drive a 3P. It's an amazing car! I have a '16 Z06 Corvette and the 3P is pretty much a match for it performance wise so I'm going to order a P3 in mid April.

Just as amazing is either the dual motor or the performance car with a proper Mountain Pass coilover kit. If you like really precise handling, consider getting the sports kit otherwise get the Comfort adjustable kit.

If you are concerned about not being able to drive a Performance model, don't be. I've been a sports car driver for about 55 years and did drive a 3P. It's an amazing car! I have a '16 Z06 Corvette and the 3P is pretty much a match for it performance wise so I'm going to order a P3 in mid April.

you'll love it, I got rid of a C6 with the usual bolt-ons for a 3p and have never looked back. Still have the drag car, but nothing beats the 3p as a daily.

Reactions: TBrownTX