Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance - charged to 100% shows 293 miles range. Why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What an interesting thread this has become. I'm learning a LOT.

I've played with various driving styles to learn how I need to drive if I want to get the EPA rated range. In my (very much) layman's view, it sure seems like I need to mostly cruise on level ground and not use heat very much, not start or stop very much.

Ultimately, this is an academic (and very interesting) topic for me. I just enjoy the car VERY VERY much for how good a car it is. Love driving it, it's got plenty of range for my daily needs and I charge at home.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
What an interesting thread this has become. I'm learning a LOT.

I've played with various driving styles to learn how I need to drive if I want to get the EPA rated range. In my (very much) layman's view, it sure seems like I need to mostly cruise on level ground and not use heat very much, not start or stop very much.

Ultimately, this is an academic (and very interesting) topic for me. I just enjoy the car VERY VERY much for how good a car it is. Love driving it, it's got plenty of range for my daily needs and I charge at home.
The biggest single determinant is weather. Not sure when you got your car... but if you only have driven in cool or cold weather, you will find it much easier to achieve “par” in warmer months.

Reactions: LakeForestM3
My car went down to 288, back up to 307, and has now settled at 300 on the nose for 3-4 months now. I varied up how it's charged, did the deep discharges, etc. Nothing changes it now.
I was at the 307 mark until I started supercharging. That made it go haywire. No one can convince me that it wasn't a factor.

When I first purchased my 2020 P3D- with 19inch wheels begining of November 2019, it showed 279 for 90% and 310 for 100%. It stayed likey that until I hit 500 miles and then I received an update which changed the EPA constant and made it dependent on the wheel size selection which dropped my range to 264 at 90% overnight. After another 6K miles I am still at showing 263-265 at 90%. My constant from the energy graph is at 260Wh/mi and the old one was around 241 I believe. So if I use the old constant, I actually have more range compared to when I got it brand new. So with that update not only they changed the constant but unlocked some capacity as well. Even though my 100% shows 294 mile range, if I calculate the nominal capacity using the 260 Wh/mi I still have around 76KWh capacity.

When I first purchased my 2020 P3D- with 19inch wheels begining of November 2019, it showed 279 for 90% and 310 for 100%. It stayed likey that until I hit 500 miles and then I received an update which changed the EPA constant and made it dependent on the wheel size selection which dropped my range to 264 at 90% overnight. After another 6K miles I am still at showing 263-265 at 90%. My constant from the energy graph is at 260Wh/mi and the old one was around 241 I believe. So if I use the old constant, I actually have more range compared to when I got it brand new. So with that update not only they changed the constant but unlocked some capacity as well. Even though my 100% shows 294 mile range, if I calculate the nominal capacity using the 260 Wh/mi I still have around 76KWh capacity.

Same car, same purchase date. 9400 on the odometer. I show 281 at 100%. In actual mileage I've been getting 88 miles on 40% of the battery, so realistically I could go ~220 miles with a full charge on a good day. That's actually a nice improvement over winter driving when I was seeing around 55 miles out of 40%. I never expected to get anywhere close to the advertised 310 and fortunately I rarely drive more than a short daily commute so the poor real-world range isn't a major issue.

I've drive 5k miles. Reported range since I got it is around 289. Real range is the problem. I get around 230 miles in real world range. My consumption is more than 300 Wh/mi. I am not an aggressive driver.
What wheels? I'm debating between a set of gemini takeoffs and the MW03's (talking with them to see if they will make an aero insert..)
May wait though until they release a set of 18, or 19's for the MX.

Same car, same purchase date. 9400 on the odometer. I show 281 at 100%. In actual mileage I've been getting 88 miles on 40% of the battery, so realistically I could go ~220 miles with a full charge on a good day. That's actually a nice improvement over winter driving when I was seeing around 55 miles out of 40%. I never expected to get anywhere close to the advertised 310 and fortunately I rarely drive more than a short daily commute so the poor real-world range isn't a major issue.

I usually get around 100 miles per 40% . What is your charging habits and also your lifetime consumption? I charge to 90% but I don't have access to home charging so I don't keep it plugged in. I usually drive until it is around 30% and then charge it up to 90% again. My lifetime consumption is 252Wh/mi.

I usually get around 100 miles per 40% . What is your charging habits and also your lifetime consumption? I charge to 90% but I don't have access to home charging so I don't keep it plugged in. I usually drive until it is around 30% and then charge it up to 90% again. My lifetime consumption is 252Wh/mi.

We started charging to 90% but changed to 80% a few months ago. Totally we drive 30-40 miles per day. At first we plugged in every night but then we got lazy during quarantine and usually do every other or every third day. Lifetime is at 288. I attribute that to having winter driving the first fine months aince6 it's been coming down this summer but I may be wrong with that assumption.

• Love
Reactions: ran349
i did a charge at an urban charger from like 47 to 100 percent this past sunday (first time since june). have had about 8 ish supercharges since march, and since june ive been on level 1 charging. i had to fill it up because of an issue with my level 1 charger at my flat over the weekend.

car is rated at 299. its now at 295 at 100 percent. i drive with % and not miles, but checked it to see what it was since i dont normally charge to 100.

all options model 3 perf with 20" dark gray wheels, 3,900 miles born march 20 2020. been working as normal through all this nonsense and do about 30 miles daily. i charge normally to 90 and usually am at about 73% when i get home from the office (i like to keep my foot in the tank :p).

2019 April-build M3P with 5,118 miles. Still thinks it will hit 310 miles. I’ve never supercharged, charge at 48A at home to 80%.

Attachments

• 77CDB9BA-3FF1-4C29-9105-66167755401D.jpeg
    77CDB9BA-3FF1-4C29-9105-66167755401D.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 2E6D2D09-F805-49F7-8ECD-F5013003547F.jpeg
    2E6D2D09-F805-49F7-8ECD-F5013003547F.jpeg
    142.8 KB · Views: 65