Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never driven one but a couple of questions (probably daft ones). Acceleration from standstill is obviously impressive, in an ICE you would need to use launch control and it's not recommended on a regular basis due to stresses it places on the car components. Apart from going through tyres at a quick rate are you doing any other potential damage to a Tesla with full acceleration starts? Also you would never do this in an ICE until the car was up to operating temperature, I take it this does not apply to an ICE and no issues from cold or is this bad for the motor or battery?

My current car has launch control and I've never used it once so I'm not some kind of lunatic driver just interested to know the answers.

Ideally you’d want the battery cells to be at a temp of 30C or higher and have a higher SOC like 80-90% for full performance. You can view the battery cell temps using an OBD dongle and ScanMyTesla for example. Other than that nothing really to worry about. The car manages the health of the battery for you and will reduce power if needed to preserve battery health.

Reactions: seadog
in an ICE you would need to use launch control

I used Launch Control precisely once in the MS P I had previously (I've replaced it with an MS non-P as I used Performance mode so rarely ... and the Cooking Version is still Blinking Fast). Decided Launch Control was far too much faffing about, and after that one time just did stamp-loud-pedal instead. If you were at a drag-strip then fine, but otherwise I wouldn't care.

it's not recommended on a regular basis due to stresses it places on the car components

On the Scooby and its ilk I think there is a counter, and total number of launches is limited. Tesla introduced that on the MS P but after some vocal punter complaints ditched it.

any other potential damage to a Tesla with full acceleration starts?

I don't know but I doubt it. The car is sophisticate in terms of how much power it is prepared to provide, how much regen, how fast it will charge (e.g. if battery very very low, or approaching full), so I suspect you'll get reduced AMPs if there is any issue (e..g battery is cold), but I doubt you will notice. You will get more AMPs [for Launch] from a full battery than one that is already quite a bit discharged.

I don't do WOT when the car is below 20% charge - no idea if that is important, but if I'm down below 20% I am probably tight for range anyway so not exactly a hardship :)

I also charge immediately on arrival if below 20%, and only charge above 90% for trips, and then try to plan to be able to set off promptly once the car gets to 100% (i.e. avoid car sitting for prolonged period at EMPTY or FULL battery). That's probably more important - as a comparison with "letting an ICE warm up before caning it" - than any concerns about WOT

My current car has launch control and I've never used it once

In that case I reckon you will be 100% happy with "stomp throttle" for some fun at the lights :)

The only other car on the road that is going to trouble you is ... another Tesla :)

Never driven one but a couple of questions (probably daft ones). Acceleration from standstill is obviously impressive, in an ICE you would need to use launch control and it's not recommended on a regular basis due to stresses it places on the car components. Apart from going through tyres at a quick rate are you doing any other potential damage to a Tesla with full acceleration starts? Also you would never do this in an ICE until the car was up to operating temperature, I take it this does not apply to an ICE and no issues from cold or is this bad for the motor or battery?

My current car has launch control and I've never used it once so I'm not some kind of lunatic driver just interested to know the answers.

You will rarely use full throttle and even then it is generally for a very short period of time, so would not worry about it.

The main reason I've not used launch mode in an ice car on the road, is you'd feel like a tit sat there at the lights with your car locked at 5000rpm and then screech off the line as the tyres scrabble for grip. Tesla does none of this.
Launching a Tesla will accelerate wear on some components, but unlike the S/X it does not have full launch mode where the suspension is compressed and batteries are heated for maximum power. It's also a lot lighter, so a 3 is going to cope with repeated launches better than either of them.
There's no point in comparing launch mode damage in an ICE car, where clutch and gearbox can take a pounding as an EV has neither.
The biggest impact on model 3 performance is battery temperature and level of charge. As both of these drop so does the performance. So feel free to slam the pedal to the ground with a cold battery, it won't do any notable harm it just won't go quite as fast.

Thanks for the replies, one further question, does the car respond differently depending on SOC, i.e. is the acceleration consistent throughout the battery range? I can accept if it reduces at under say 20% to preserve battery until you can get it recharged, but I think it would be strange if for example it accelerated quicker at 80% than it did at 35%, just for judging overtaking as obviously in an ICE it's pretty much exactly the same at full tank or almost dry except for the minimal weight of fuel. Just wondering if you have to alter your driving style at all except when almost empty.

Thanks for the replies, one further question, does the car respond differently depending on SOC, i.e. is the acceleration consistent throughout the battery range? I can accept if it reduces at under say 20% to preserve battery until you can get it recharged, but I think it would be strange if for example it accelerated quicker at 80% than it did at 35%, just for judging overtaking as obviously in an ICE it's pretty much exactly the same at full tank or almost dry except for the minimal weight of fuel. Just wondering if you have to alter your driving style at all except when almost empty.

I can only speak for the SR+ but you would need a stopwatch to tell the difference in acceleration depending on different levels of charge .. perhaps when you get the real extremes it can be noticeable but if I had 10% left I wouldn't be wasting electrons, I would be heading very moderately towards a charger!

It does reduce total power output depending on SOC. Again you can see this using OBD and ScanMyTesla. As others have mentioned with lower SOC you have more voltage sag. Unless you are on a track hammering the car or doing 0-60 runs smashing the peddle with WOT you probably won’t notice. There is always plenty of power on tap to easily pass ICE vehicles.

Reactions: seadog

The answer is yes, but minimally. it shouldnt affect overtaking. the results are 0-60, therefore 60-100 may differ from this.

upload_2020-2-21_11-50-52.png

• Informative
Reactions: seadog and Gatsojon
OK thanks everyone, if it's so minimal you don't notice it that's fine no problem. Not driving around with a stopwatch just wondered if you noticed any difference in real world driving. Never had the chance to drive an EV yet, and not sure I will get one before delivery if the March estimate was correct so just a few questions in my head to know what to expect.

OK thanks everyone, if it's so minimal you don't notice it that's fine no problem. Not driving around with a stopwatch just wondered if you noticed any difference in real world driving. Never had the chance to drive an EV yet, and not sure I will get one before delivery if the March estimate was correct so just a few questions in my head to know what to expect.
The only issue to deal with is reduced efficiency and range in very cold temps during winter. Especially if you have a lead foot and drive fast on the highway with the heater on. That said, there is also a bonus that with an EV you have nearly instant heat vs an ICE that requires the motor to heat up before heating the cabin. ICE cars also suffer from range loss in winter but people don’t complain/notice it as you can fill up at a gas station quickly. If the battery is very cold and you go directly to a supercharger you will have reduced rates of charge until the cells warm up. There are ways to deal with this such as preheating the car while connected to the home charger before leaving. In most cases you should plan for ~30% reduction in range in very cold winters.

not sure I will get one before delivery if the March estimate was correct
It seems as though delivery estimate has changed to May now if that’s what you’re referring to. Unless you’ve already got one in order.

just wondered if you noticed any difference in real world driving
With regards to this, I drove an e golf for a weekend and there was a significant difference. Max power only available from 70% plus, dropped until about 30% and then a significant drop in power as restrictions came in. Don’t talk to me about less than 10% and forced into eco+. I think everything would be quicker than that haha

• Informative
Reactions: seadog and Adopado
My current car has launch control

Is it sub-4-second 0-60?

No : Tesla is blinking quick
Yes: Tesla is blinking quick :)

Much easier to get the traction controlled with EV, and the power is available instantly without having to get the Pistons up to full chat.

If you are worried about being lazy away from the Lights then get an MS-P instead of an M3-P ... that will get you down around 2.5s 0-60 ... proper forced-back-in-your-seat territory.

what's "WOT"?

press the throttle until the air intake to the Carb is wide open so that the air-fuel mixture is increased to maximum in the cylinders :)

It seems as though delivery estimate has changed to May now if that’s what you’re referring to. Unless you’ve already got one in order.

With regards to this, I drove an e golf for a weekend and there was a significant difference. Max power only available from 70% plus, dropped until about 30% and then a significant drop in power as restrictions came in. Don’t talk to me about less than 10% and forced into eco+. I think everything would be quicker than that haha

Ordered a couple of weeks ago while it was still March expected date. Not had a chance to test drive or even view yet.

The Golf cenario above was exactly what I was worried about, when you're only recommended to charge to around 80%, it would be annoying if performance dropped continually after 70%, when your planning an overtake you don't want to have to take into consideration the battery percentage.

Ordered a couple of weeks ago while it was still March expected date. Not had a chance to test drive or even view yet.

The Golf cenario above was exactly what I was worried about, when you're only recommended to charge to around 80%, it would be annoying if performance dropped continually after 70%, when your planning an overtake you don't want to have to take into consideration the battery percentage.
You shouldnt have a problem with properly built and designed EVs. A car that is adapted to be EV will be where you may have problems.

Is it sub-4-second 0-60?

No : Tesla is blinking quick
Yes: Tesla is blinking quick :)

Much easier to get the traction controlled with EV, and the power is available instantly without having to get the Pistons up to full chat.

press the throttle until the air intake to the Carb is wide open so that the air-fuel mixture is increased to maximum in the cylinders :)

Its a F30 335D I think book time is 4.6, traction is also good as it's 4 wheel drive as well. I'm not a traffic light gangster so I've never abused it or measured the time taken, just genuinely interested if any compromises need to be made to your driving style, one thing an ICE has got is consistency over the full fuel tank, albeit you would not be wise to use too much power until it was properly warmed up.