Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance feels slow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting and yes, I think he did just supercharge it before I test drove it. I will need to do the same on mine and see if it feels faster. How do you tell what temperature your batteries are at and if they are fully warmed? I have not seen that figure before on my Model S or 3?

Interesting and yes, I think he did just supercharge it before I test drove it. I will need to do the same on mine and see if it feels faster. How do you tell what temperature your batteries are at and if they are fully warmed? I have not seen that figure before on my Model S or 3?

Unless you have a third party monitoring tool like scan my tesla or something, the way I check is simply by whether I have any "regen limited" dots on my screen. We do not get the snowflake icon very often out here in southern california, which directly says "regen limited" but every morning I will see my car have limited regen dots when I get in it to go somewhere.

My car is also only garaged at home, in a fully drywalled garage with insulated garage doors, that never gets below about 49 degrees even when its mid 30s outside at night in "winter" ( I live in temecula).

Every morning, my car will have regen dots showing limited regen, even if the car is only 80% charged and could take full regen normally, and this is because the battery is too cold.

I can feel something that feels like full regen after like 5-10 miles, but I still have some dots there. They are not all gone for quite some time as I mentioned.

@jjrandorin is right, but remember that not having regen dots is only part of the picture. With recent software updates this happens when the battery is around 10C (50F) (it was 20C before recent updates). At that point from memory I only see around 200kW of max discharge power, which represents roughly 270hp. The battery needs to heat a lot more, closer to say 80F, before I see the max discharge in the 300kW+ range. Temperature seems to affect max discharge more than SOC, although when your SOC gets low your max power output does diminish (there are dyno charts to show that somewhere). That is on a boosted AWD, YMMV.

jjrandorin, my garage is around 12C too, but my battery is typically a couple degrees colder than that when I hop in the car. I blame the fact the battery is just a few inches over the cold concrete floor. It's probably cooler than 12C at that level.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Unless you have a third party monitoring tool like scan my tesla or something, the way I check is simply by whether I have any "regen limited" dots on my screen. We do not get the snowflake icon very often out here in southern california, which directly says "regen limited" but every morning I will see my car have limited regen dots when I get in it to go somewhere.

My car is also only garaged at home, in a fully drywalled garage with insulated garage doors, that never gets below about 49 degrees even when its mid 30s outside at night in "winter" ( I live in temecula).

Every morning, my car will have regen dots showing limited regen, even if the car is only 80% charged and could take full regen normally, and this is because the battery is too cold.

I can feel something that feels like full regen after like 5-10 miles, but I still have some dots there. They are not all gone for quite some time as I mentioned.
OK, interesting I will watch for the regen dots. I rarely see the "regen limited" living in Southern California (San Fernando Valley).

My car is garaged too but it is not insulated.

I will have to get a 0-60 or 1/4 mile time on my car just to make sure it is running at full speed.

@jjrandorin is right, but remember that not having regen dots is only part of the picture. With recent software updates this happens when the battery is around 10C (50F) (it was 20C before recent updates). At that point from memory I only see around 200kW of max discharge power, which represents roughly 270hp. The battery needs to heat a lot more, closer to say 80F, before I see the max discharge in the 300kW+ range. Temperature seems to affect max discharge more than SOC, although when your SOC gets low your max power output does diminish (there are dyno charts to show that somewhere). That is on a boosted AWD, YMMV.

jjrandorin, my garage is around 12C too, but my battery is typically a couple degrees colder than that when I hop in the car. I blame the fact the battery is just a few inches over the cold concrete floor. It's probably cooler than 12C at that level.

Thanks GtiMart I will keep both the SOC and Temp in mind when I check the speed again.

OK, interesting I will watch for the regen dots. I rarely see the "regen limited" living in Southern California (San Fernando Valley).

My car is garaged too but it is not insulated.

I will have to get a 0-60 or 1/4 mile time on my car just to make sure it is running at full speed.
you would want to charge it at home enough to warm the battery, then go test.... like from <50% to 90% then immediately go drive it, or, navigate to a supercharger (which will pre condition the battery by warming it to accept full charge) then go test it.

TL ; DR, all these cars are the same, differences are in wheels / tires, and / or battery state of charge and warmth.

you would want to charge it at home enough to warm the battery, then go test.... like from <50% to 90% then immediately go drive it, or, navigate to a supercharger (which will pre condition the battery by warming it to accept full charge) then go test it.

TL ; DR, all these cars are the same, differences are in wheels / tires, and / or battery state of charge and warmth.
OK, I will give that a try. 90% charge then go test it. I think to the car I test drove with 50K miles on it was hammered. There was a lot of squeaking and loose parts in the interior where the low mileage car I bought is tight with no rattles and seems a lot more smooth and solid.

OK, I will give that a try. 90% charge then go test it. I think to the car I test drove with 50K miles on it was hammered. There was a lot of squeaking and loose parts in the interior where the low mileage car I bought is tight with no rattles and seems a lot more smooth and solid.

Make sure that the charge is from a lower state of charge to 90%, then go test it immediately. It wont do you much good to go from 80% to 90% or something, if the goal is "max speed launch"

OK, so I finally got around to doing a 0-60 test with the web browser running with a stopwatch webpage loaded on the car with a camera rolling on slow motion (this was suggested on this site and worked well). I faced the camera at the screen, stopwatch running, started to record and punched it. 58% SOC, battery cold and it pulled 3.2 seconds. So I can't complain the car is fast and I can only imagine with a 100% SOC and a warm battery I could hit 3 seconds flat. I guess the other Model 3 I test drove was just supercharged and had more of a kick. Also a lot more miles on it so things rattled a bit more and made it seem faster. I will update again if I do it again with a full charge and a warm battery.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Lindenwood
My Performance doesn’t feel fast anymore. What could be wrong? 😁

D5049FF0-9C03-4E33-BA7C-8E76D50D7353.jpeg

Yeah, I think you're right. I laughed at the idea of "Performance Boost" when I first bought the car, but now I think it's actually genius. Maybe in a year or two I'll even convince myself of its value. 0-60 in *negative* two seconds, that's what I want.
I agree! I would be happy to get launch control for the P3. Shave a few more tenths of the 0-60. Come on Elon let's make that happen.

What "launch control" do we need? You can just mash the pedal to the metal and traction control takes care of everything. That's the one thing that separates our Teslas from other sports cars: impeccable launch every time, without needing to be a good driver. There is no need to pre-rev, build boost, etc :)

The only thing we can get to improve our times are Ludicrous plus mode that pre-heats the battery for a slightly better launch. I don't think thats great for the battery to shave a tenth or two off. Also, no need to fiddle in the M3P...just mash and go which is great. If anything, I wish they could improve the upper range of the car...slightly more kick above 80-130mph would be nice.

What "launch control" do we need? You can just mash the pedal to the metal and traction control takes care of everything. That's the one thing that separates our Teslas from other sports cars: impeccable launch every time, without needing to be a good driver. There is no need to pre-rev, build boost, etc :)
Launch Control would be a nice option to put more power down off the line. I know that car is much more capable then it is now but I believe Tesla holds it back so not to compete with the Model S. Now that the Model S Plaid and Plaid+ are coming out maybe Tesla will be OK having the P3+ go sub 3 seconds with launch control.

The only thing we can get to improve our times are Ludicrous plus mode that pre-heats the battery for a slightly better launch. I don't think thats great for the battery to shave a tenth or two off. Also, no need to fiddle in the M3P...just mash and go which is great. If anything, I wish they could improve the upper range of the car...slightly more kick above 80-130mph would be nice.
I agree with the Ludicrous plus mode would be nice but an easy work around to this is just set your navigation to a supercharging station and it will start prewarming the battery just like Ludicrous plus does. I also agree the 80-130 is flat and can use a boost there.

Do we know if there is any performance left on the table at this point? Especially in the 80-130mph range. I imagine we would need gearing to help boost performance at the higher speeds. I think the car pulls pretty good up top it is just noticeably less than the ridiculous pull we get at lower speeds.