Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance feels slow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately that guy knows little about dynos or cars and cannot be trusted.

His data purports to compare the (red) 2021 to an older (blue) car but he has clearly configured the dyno to display "corrected" torque values using very different powertrain loss curve estimates and/or gear ratio inputs for each car so it's likely that both sets of data are garbage.

Whichever car has more torque at a given speed must *always* have more power at that speed since both cars use the same 9:1 gear ratio. It's mathematically impossible for the power curves to trade places (as they do here at 80 km/h) without the torque curves also doing so at the same speed.
Power = Torque x Speed.

View attachment 664784
You are right ! this graph is totally wrong not only worng but also impossible .In my Opinion the Blue torque produces the red Power curve and the red Torque produces the Blue power curve.

Which "extra thick cabling" and "standard wiring" are you talking about?

Added electronics with a tiny lithium battery and a pyro-actuated fuse to cut power under an overload condition with extreme precision
Two new contactors using Inconel to increase the pack output to 1500 amps from the prior maximum level of 1300 amps
Higher current high-voltage wiring
Updated software to change Insane mode to Ludicrous mode

With recent software you will have no regen dots once your battery reaches around 52F. However, at that temperature the power is limited, with no dots on the power side. On my AWD with boost, i can see max power output of around 220kW without any dots anywhere, and I know my max power output reaches around 330kW at its peak when the battery is warm enough.
Said another way, the power bar's right side (power) isn't a precise indicator.
So, what's a good "warmed up" temp to wait for? I have an OBD adapter setup en route.

Has anyone upgraded from a Boosted LR to a black trim P? My car feels very quick, but those resale values. lol I'm wondering if it's worth the bother if I'll really only feel it off the line. I'm certainly not losing any acceleration games off a light at this point. lol

Has anyone upgraded from a Boosted LR to a black trim P? My car feels very quick, but those resale values. lol I'm wondering if it's worth the bother if I'll really only feel it off the line. I'm certainly not losing any acceleration games off a light at this point. lol

You can see how they all compare in the chart below (data was taken from calibrated testing of actual forum owner vehicles (same owner when possible but obviously wasn't always possible, still should be good enough for basic comparisons)-- basically no difference after 60 though

LRAWD2.png

Reactions: Mahamilto
You can see how they all compare in the chart below (data was taken from calibrated testing of actual forum owner vehicles (same owner when possible but obviously wasn't always possible, still should be good enough for basic comparisons)-- basically no difference after 60 though

View attachment 681822

Some data was from me! lol

Thank you for reminding me of this. Wish there were higher metrics such as 60-100, etc.

p.s. Thank you. You might have the highest level of facts/information per post on the forum.

I had a 2019 LR with Boost, and I have since march a 2021 a 2021 Performance.
I felt the difference -Off the Line- immediately but only for the first 2 or 3 days. The difference disappears immediately as you are accustomed to the new acceleration. You will still serach for more.
The P feels more "rear wheel drive" , I feel the track control too invasive . It cut power even when you should be able to control it manually.
The Track mode is good but it has a different accelerator pedal calibration (sluggish in the first part of travel of the gas pedal and more accurate past 30%-40% gas travel).
Track mode is useless in the street because you need to stop, put in P and activate it, (you can remove it during the drive)
My 2021P doesn't handle better than the old 2019 LR with 18".

I had a 2019 LR with Boost, and I have since march a 2021 a 2021 Performance.
I felt the difference -Off the Line- immediately but only for the first 2 or 3 days. The difference disappears immediately as you are accustomed to the new acceleration. You will still serach for more.
The P feels more "rear wheel drive" , I feel the track control too invasive . It cut power even when you should be able to control it manually.
The Track mode is good but it has a different accelerator pedal calibration (sluggish in the first part of travel of the gas pedal and more accurate past 30%-40% gas travel).
Track mode is useless in the street because you need to stop, put in P and activate it, (you can remove it during the drive)
My 2021P doesn't handle better than the old 2019 LR with 18".
This is extremely helpful. Thank you. In that case, unless I get a wild number for my car, I'll keep it and enjoy it until a Ludicrous 3 comes out or the beast finally hits the streets.

Just took delivery of a new 2021 Model 3 Performance...it might just be me but it feels a bit sluggish. Wondering if anyone else who has taken delivery of a relatively new 2021 M3P feels the same?...please see some factors below:

- Sport mode driving + red line under car name + obstacle aware acceleration off
- Did several 0-60 runs on a dry and what appeared to be close to flat road at 75% SoC...didn't use a dragy so could be off a bit but I wasn't getting anything below 3.7 seconds
- Parents have a 2020 M3 LR + accelaration boost which to me feels faster, both from 0 and in a rolling scenario starting at anything from 20-60mph...I feel a kick when I stomp on the accelerator whereas on the new M3P it feels smoother and slower...I haven't actually timed it yet but will do in the next day or 2 on the same road as I tried the new M3P at same-ish SoC
- New delivery M3P is definitely on an old software version...haven't gotten the latest one pushed to me yet...wondering if that will make a difference?
You are correct the new 2021 m3p is smoother on acceleration, I rented a 2019 m3p before I bought mine and the instant acceleration on those is faster but then it dies off very fast, on the 2021 m3p the instant acceleration isn't as strong but it holds the long smooth pull longer, I timed it with a draggy and the new 2021 m3p does in fact get 3.1 to 3.2 seconds on my few runs that I did so I know the time is right, but you are correct it doesn't feel as fast only b/c it doesn't have that initial strong pull like the older model does, but I can feel the pull for longer on the 2021 m3p, I'm still happy regardless, its funny I told the tesla guy that came to fix my key the same thing that it felt slower, but yet when I timed it with draggy the speed was correct.

You are correct the new 2021 m3p is smoother on acceleration, I rented a 2019 m3p before I bought mine and the instant acceleration on those is faster but then it dies off very fast, on the 2021 m3p the instant acceleration isn't as strong but it holds the long smooth pull longer, I timed it with a draggy and the new 2021 m3p does in fact get 3.1 to 3.2 seconds on my few runs that I did so I know the time is right, but you are correct it doesn't feel as fast only b/c it doesn't have that initial strong pull like the older model does, but I can feel the pull for longer on the 2021 m3p, I'm still happy regardless, its funny I told the tesla guy that came to fix my key the same thing that it felt slower, but yet when I timed it with draggy the speed was correct.
When I first test drove the M3P my very first impression was "wow the gas pedal feels spongy." Yes if you floor it you launch but the initial throttle bite was soft. My Charger SP was a lot twitchier and therefore felt "faster" but it's just a feel. Now I thank god it's not so twitchy, it would really be a bad day if I launched into the kitchen from the garage when I'm trying to inch forward.

Reactions: GSP
Hi guys, just wondering does the battery need to warm up before performing well?
I just finished charging up and drove about 5 minutes and put it in sport mode and when accelerating it just doesn’t feel fast like it’s still in chill mode. I have a 2019 model 3 performance I’m not sure if this is something that happens as I’m new to Tesla. It’s like there’s not a lot of difference between sport and chill whereas when I have drove it before the difference is ridiculous between the 2 modes. Any advice on this would be great :)

I have the same 2019 M3P. No need to warm up. Just floor it !

While its true you wont hurt the car by "flooring it" while the battery is cold, thats not what @DanPP is asking.

@DanPP I moved your post to a relevant discussion on this topic, but, the short answer is "yes, you have less acceleration when the battery is cold, and the battery is cold for a lot longer than you would think, and outside temperature has much less to do with a cold battery than you would think."

• Helpful
Reactions: lUtriaNt and Phlier
While its true you wont hurt the car by "flooring it" while the battery is cold, thats not what @DanPP is asking.

@DanPP I moved your post to a relevant discussion on this topic, but, the short answer is "yes, you have less acceleration when the battery is cold, and the battery is cold for a lot longer than you would think, and outside temperature has much less to do with a cold battery than you would think."
Ok mate thank you, it’s just that I’m sure sometimes I’ve got in the car and its felt fast as soon as I’ve got in and other times it just doesn’t feel fast at all, its very annoying

Ok mate thank you, it’s just that I’m sure sometimes I’ve got in the car and its felt fast as soon as I’ve got in and other times it just doesn’t feel fast at all, its very annoying
Thats pretty normal, if you are trying to accelerate "hard" and the battery is cold, and as I mentioned the battery can be "cold" for quite a while. It only impacts delivering full power, not normal drivability, nor will you hurt the battery, you just cant get the "full monty" as it were (my attempt at across the pond humor, lol).

Reactions: lUtriaNt
You can also trick your car into warming up the battery pack faster...

If you live fairly close to a supercharger, you can select that supercharger as your destination in your nav. Once you get within a certain estimated time of arrival at that SC, you'll get a message stating "conditioning battery for supercharging." The car will warm the battery up for you.

In my case, I'm close enough to the supercharger that I don't even need to leave my driveway. I just select the supercharger in my nav, then wait in my driveway, as I immediately get the "conditioning battery for supercharging" message as soon as I activate the nav.