Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance (High Mileage Users)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to have a discussion with people who drive a lot of miles per year for work, play etc. My career has me on the road (local city driving) for roughly 25,000 miles per year.

I am looking at ordering a M3P but am unsure how these cars will be with 75,000+ miles as I will reach that in a short time. Three years or so.

I know this is a fairly newer model but is there any idea how these cars will hold up for long term use?

My idea to switch to Tesla is to save roughly $7000-$8000 a year in operating costs I have now with maintenance gas etc.

I personally have a long range on order but would have preferred the performance. The only reason is the tires. The cost of replacement tires on the performance is double that of replacement on the long range. I believe mileage for the performance tires is half or maybe even less than half of the long range.

I personally have a long range on order but would have preferred the performance. The only reason is the tires. The cost of replacement tires on the performance is double that of replacement on the long range. I believe mileage for the performance tires is half or maybe even less than half of the long range.
Depends what kind of driving. I’m at 34k miles on my original set of PS4s and I still have about 5/32 left on all 4 tires. 40k miles out of summer tires ain’t half bad imho

Very cost effective for what you are doing - if concerned about tire cost, or than you do not have to stay with max perfornance summer tires. Regardless, you would still be saving on routine maintenance and charge costs for mileage.

Really? You’re the first person I’ve heard saying that.
Well yeah? I literally just measured my tread depth last night. I also drive >90% freeway that’s probably why. I like to drive spiritedly once in awhile but I don’t gun it every stoplight. I read posts about people in their SRs with 18” Primacy tires lasting less than 15k miles and that baffles me.

You can get 18" wheels on M3P - just not the Tesla Aerowheels. I have: ASM80FP40E - Google Search
There is also better (but currently out of stock): Fast Wheels EV01(+)

I'm looking to have a discussion with people who drive a lot of miles per year for work, play etc. My career has me on the road (local city driving) for roughly 25,000 miles per year.

I am looking at ordering a M3P but am unsure how these cars will be with 75,000+ miles as I will reach that in a short time. Three years or so.

I know this is a fairly newer model but is there any idea how these cars will hold up for long term use?

My idea to switch to Tesla is to save roughly $7000-$8000 a year in operating costs I have now with maintenance gas etc.
I have over 82,000 miles on my 2018 M3P and have had no significant issues with the car in the four+ years I've owned it. I have continued to run 20" wheels and had no issues with wheel damage from potholes or anything else. I do have a separate set of winter tires on aftermarket 20" rims, and right now I'm thinking I'll have the original summer tires replaced when I swap for the winter tires in late October. My battery shows 292 miles at 100% charge, and. most of the charging is done at a Supercharger close to home (I have the promotional lifetime free supercharging). I always precondition the battery. The white interior still looks great, as does the paint. I have received comments from others that my car still looks brand new (no dings or dents either). I did have the windshield replaced once due to a crack after picking up a ding from a rock on the freeway. The charge port was replaced under warranty (it would intermittently not open on command), and the upper control arms were recently replaced at no cost at a local service center (noted as Good Will on the invoice). I consider the car purchase one of the best decisions I've ever made. No regrets.

I know but after bumping up 5K for the performance over the LR, bumping up yet again for wheels and tires is too much for me.
New 18" AEZ wheels did cost me USD 815 while I sold the 20" used (one little rim scratch) wheels to a Tesla owner for USD 1460. And each 20" tires you are going to buy are more expensive for 20" although now I see the different is not big USD 785 vs. USD 640. 18" wheels have tires height 45% while the 20" had tires height 35% - very easy tu rupture (I did rupture 3 tires with 40% height on my previous car). And they say 18" wheels (even non-aero) also save energy; which I could not verify as I have replaced them ASAP. So I have gained money exchanging 20" for 18", I have saved money on tires I have bought and I will save more money on each tires I will buy, I have even lower energy consumption and the 18" wheels are more pretty anyway. I do not see a single reason why to keep the 20". :) All prices are recalculated from local CZK currency.

New 18" AEZ wheels did cost me USD 815 while I sold the 20" used (one little rim scratch) wheels to a Tesla owner for USD 1460. And each 20" tires you are going to buy are more expensive for 20" although now I see the different is not big USD 785 vs. USD 640. 18" wheels have tires height 45% while the 20" had tires height 35% - very easy tu rupture (I did rupture 3 tires with 40% height on my previous car). And they say 18" wheels (even non-aero) also save energy; which I could not verify as I have replaced them ASAP. So I have gained money exchanging 20" for 18", I have saved money on tires I have bought and I will save more money on each tires I will buy, I have even lower energy consumption and the 18" wheels are more pretty anyway. I do not see a single reason why to keep the 20". :) All prices are recalculated from local CZK currency.
Good deal selling the rims, but as far as tire costs go, head over to Tire Rack. Select 'original equipment' for each LR and Perf and you'll see, it's $402 vs. $257. That's $145 per tire difference. If you're fine with that, no worries. That's how I did my comparison.

Good deal selling the rims, but as far as tire costs go, head over to Tire Rack. Select 'original equipment' for each LR and Perf and you'll see, it's $402 vs. $257. That's $145 per tire difference. If you're fine with that, no worries. That's how I did my comparison.
So buy Performance Tesla car, sell the 20" wheels+tires (when they are still new) and buy 18" wheels+tires (wheels need to be compatible with Performance Tesla). And you have the best of both, win-win. I am definitely fine with buying cheaper 18" tires and having Performance Tesla car.

Reactions: Rodney! and tm1v2
Tire wear entirely depends on how you drive.

Not entirely. WHERE you drive and the condition of the road is easily as important. Half of my normal commute is on twisty mountain roads and badly aged pavement that is worn down to jagged exposed aggregate. Wouldn’t matter one bit how I drive, I get about ~60% of the warranted life from any set of tires.

Saving $7,000-$8,000/year seems like a bit of an exaggeration, unless your current car gets like 10 mpg and has a terrible maintenance schedule. While Model 3 can offer some long term savings in gas, you'll spend more on insurance, tires and other possible repairs.
A M3P with $70k OTD cost is not an economy car and most people don't get it to save money.