Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance (High Mileage Users)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think a lot of TMC posters are the ones giving Tesla drivers a bad rap out there.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Tesla has already made it. That funny slow battery crap with no range is now eating their lunch each day and they cry as they finally realize there is no other way forward than to also switch to EV. It took almost half of my life watching the Tesla evolution and now the dream finally came true. Sure there are better wins in life when one gets older but those are various topics only select people understand while the cars are something everyone knows. It is still fun even after 7 months.

• Disagree
Reactions: BMWM3Man
Who thinks or cares about this stuff??? Are we 16 with our first license?
I care. I may be 58 on paper but I'm 16 at heart and love this stuff.
Yes it does take a lot of discipline when you have the fastest car on the road but, at times I just got to let it rip.

Don't own a 3 but do have close to 65,000 miles on the Y. It's an early build (April 2020). One of the tail lights was grabbing moisture and was changed out under warranty. Had the squeaking front end. The control arms were changed out under warranty. Proactivity changed out the 12 volt battery a bit ago. That was an out of warranty expense. Keep the cabin air filter changed as needed and check the wear on the tires you should be ok for a while. I would recommend changing the 12 V battery out every 2 to 2.5 years. That should keep those dreaded warnings away. If your budget doesn't allow a performance, the acceleration boost may be a great option. You can always look into ingenext boost module at half the price.

I would say don't buy a Tesla to save money. It may look good on paper but you will find yourself driving it more than any other car and those miles will rack up. Not that its a bad thing. Insurance can be a tad more than some cheaper vehicles. Did I mention tires. You will be out buying all sorts of accessories and maybe only one of them can add horse power. Cameras are expensive and you're going to need a good one for all your new YouTube videos. You'll love it so much but you may want to drop it and there goes that monthly budget for springs. Then there's those aftermarket wheels.

Saving $7,000-$8,000/year seems like a bit of an exaggeration, unless your current car gets like 10 mpg and has a terrible maintenance schedule. While Model 3 can offer some long term savings in gas, you'll spend more on insurance, tires and other possible repairs.
A M3P with $70k OTD cost is not an economy car and most people don't get it to save money.

How so? I drive 35,000-40,000 miles per year thats roughly 6-7k in fuel costs alone outside any maintenance. (5.00-5.40 per gallon premium).

How so? I drive 35,000-40,000 miles per year thats roughly 6-7k in fuel costs alone outside any maintenance. (5.00-5.40 per gallon premium).

My M3P cost me about $100 more per year than my last Lexus and I save at least $3k per year on fuel. I bet you will save $7k a year on fuel alone depending on how you charge. Superchargers don't save you that much money but home charging is very cheap in many places. I have absolutely no regrets getting the M3P. If you drive that much though, look into getting new wheels from the start (like 18s) and sell the 20s that come with the M3P.

Who thinks or cares about this stuff??? Are we 16 with our first license?

I think a lot of TMC posters are the ones giving Tesla drivers a bad rap out there.

Why does anyone buy a car with more than 75hp? Why did BMWM3Man presumably buy an M3? I can only assume you're disagreeing with what you're considering to be street racing in a general sense? If so, I'm not wading into that discussion other than to say that if you can't safely do a little 0-50 fun against another car *in appropriate circumstances* then you probably shouldn't be driving at all.

Last edited:
Why does anyone buy a car with more than 75hp? Why did BMWM3Man presumably by an M3? I can only assume you're disagreeing with what you're considering to be street racing in a general sense? If so, I'm not wading into that discussion other than to say that if you can't safely do a little 0-50 fun against another car *in appropriate circumstances* then you probably shouldn't be driving at all.

I take off at every light if i'm in front (yes, i'm juvenile). I'm also willing to pay the tire tax. 🤣....worth every penny.

My M3P has over 125,000 miles on it since 2019. Mostly from traveling around mountain biking, going up north Michigan, a handful of trips from MI to Florida, out to DC to bike with friends on the C&O trail, and day to day carting of kids to school. So obviously a lot of those miles going to be freeway but with my love of side roads (click the no tolls option in navigate) probably only about half the miles. The vehicle has been amazing for that time and I can only imagine how much more I would have spent during the last 3 and a half years doing that in an ICE. However most lot of those savings may have been realized with any EV. No oil changes, (electric 'tank') full every morning, less moving parts (to go wrong), less fluid levels to worry about, still on original brakes (only a perk for EVs with strong re-gen braking) and sometimes free charging (imagine if there were free gas).

So why is it special because its a Tesla EV?

The biggest one... and this is probably more often overlooked because not every driver is a "traveler" is the charging network and vehicle range. Yes other newer EV ranges are getting better and that's needed so drivers can deal with their limited charging network which compounds the problem. For Tesla, there are chargers everywhere, in key locations, and almost always by other amenities like food, shopping, restrooms (with very few exceptions). Also, there are many charging stalls in each charging location, this is BIG.

Tesla is the only EV producer with this huge advantage. And you can go see for yourself just by traveling. Often times there will be 8-16 Tesla charging stalls in your typical location. Sometimes at those key locations (around 10- 20 percent) there may be an additional 2-4 charging stalls set up for ALL the competitors that are coming out. So those 2-4 chargers are for all the Leafs, Ionics, Hummers, Mach Es, low cost Equinoxes/bolts, i3s, Lightnings, EQS, E trons and others. And these non Tesla chargers are typically slower especially with lower end vehicles. Again compounding the problem.

I do have and use Plugshare which shows where ALL the charging options in an area that a Tesla or other competitive EVs can use. I do not use them as much though, mostly because those other chargers are not in key/easy to get to locations. Instead they tend to be at places like behind car dealerships (think middle of the business district), or maybe downtown at the library, or on the trendy boardwalk. And again at that other location, there is maybe 2-4 chargers max. These other chargers are typically not as well maintained as well. So when you arrive maybe only half of them work, or work well (think charging speed). In fairness I have arrived at Tesla charging locations where 1 or even 2 stalls are broken, but the other 7-10 ones are fine.

My biggest expense in 125k miles has been tires. This money well spent by a driving enthusiast like myself. I know I could slow down and save my tires but I am not that frugal and bought this car to have fun. My smartest move was getting a separate set of rims/tires for winter time The rest of the year I run on the OEM performance set up. The winter tires are more inexpensive and help in snowy Michigan, trips up north, and trips down through the mountains in the off season. They have also probably saved me money on rims given the road conditions in Michigan, where during winter you can't see the potholes as well in the snow to swerve around.

I love my M3P and I love having sticky tires to play with. I've had quite a few sports cars and I've always tried to have an R compound summer tire for fun and a high performance all season for winter. Two sets of wheels make this the way to go.

I would find a nice used set for higher milage use.

I just picked up a nice used winter set off facebook marketplace so if my experience can help your decision I'm happy to help

Last edited:
The LR AWD with acceleration boost ($2000) is nearly as quick as the P, but with better range and imho better rims (18"). We just hit 1 year of ownership and have 36K+ miles on it. Minor cosmetic issues covered under warranty. Stock Michelin tires lasted 30k, but would have lasted longer but the alignment from the factory was out of spec and the driver front tire unevenly wore on the inside tread ($296 Tesla Alignment after new tires installed). Windshield wiper fluid and charge at home with a Tesla Wall Charger. Save about $400-$500 a month in fuel costs moving from a Ford Expedition. Excellent daily driver and has all the quickness I could every want.

The LR AWD with acceleration boost ($2000) is nearly as quick as the P, but with better range and imho better rims (18"). We just hit 1 year of ownership and have 36K+ miles on it. Minor cosmetic issues covered under warranty. Stock Michelin tires lasted 30k, but would have lasted longer but the alignment from the factory was out of spec and the driver front tire unevenly wore on the inside tread ($296 Tesla Alignment after new tires installed). Windshield wiper fluid and charge at home with a Tesla Wall Charger. Save about $400-$500 a month in fuel costs moving from a Ford Expedition. Excellent daily driver and has all the quickness I could every want.
A boosted LR does get quite a bit faster and the price isn't bad. The thing I like with the performance that I may take advantage of is selling my Uberturbines which are totally mint with 1K miles on them and buying some 20" EV01+ rims which will get me up to LR range and I think selling my Uberturbines will more than pay for the EV01+s. I also am not a fan of the 18" rim look on the M3P and would get 20" EV01+s but I am having a hard time finding ones that meet the spec I need for direct replacement so that's my main hold up right now.

Reactions: JssonB