Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 performance insurance difficulties

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spoke to a few companies like Admiral and Novo who said they don't even count PPF as a modification and it's fine, great.

I would be very careful of Admiral and get that in writing. They have one of the worst reputations at getting out of claims.

They took £3000 out of my credit card automatically 2 weeks before my renewal date after I told them of a non fault crash where the third party insurer has declared full responsibility.

When I phoned up to see what they were playing at they told me they took the money as they assumed I would renewing my policy with them (not due for another 2 weeks), and that the £3k was the renewal price given I had a claim pending, they also told me they would assume I was at fault unitl they had written confirmation the third party had accepted full responsibility - bare in mind at this point I had not asked Admiral to act on anything, not even send a inspector to check out damage to my car!!

I had to threaten to report them for fraud before they agreed to refund me my money which they took without permission.

More recently in my non fault write off claim, the third party was insured with Admiral. I've kept all the letters they sent me which borders on bullying/intimidation to try and make me accept their resolution offer - all were very carefully worded to be legally compliant but the underlying tone is obvious, accept their offer or they would fight me in court and make me pay for everything.....Even though they had seen my dash cam footage of their client crashing into me for no apparent reason.

They than called me to try and trick me into saying the phrase 'I had access to another car, so a courtesy car was excessive for my needs', as that is one of the legal grounds they can use to deny at fault claim for hire car payments, luckily I had the phone record function on and took great pleasure in saying the exact opposite whilst dropping in my emotional trauma of the incident and the fact I was recording the conversation.

Needless to say I will never used Admiral or any of their relates companies again.

Last edited:
I spoke with A plan today. They had a look to see what they can do but don't have any sensibly priced products for under 30 year olds (6600+). Apparently most of the usual insurers that they use for under 30 year olds with high performance cars either don't cover EVs, or they don't cover Tesla at all yet. They said they are working on it though and in talks with a few insurers to offer that for EVs following the recent explosion in EV sales but probably nothing until into the new year.

Interestingly they also didn't consider PPF a modification, and none of the insurers they use do either apparently. Caveat to this was that the PPF wouldn't be covered in the event of a claim.

Last edited:
An ombudsman will ultimately decide, if it comes to it.

i don’t personally think any of your examples would be classed as a material modification, and the ombudsman would slap down any insco trying to avoid a claim based on it, including the mudflaps.

An ombudsman will ultimately decide, if it comes to it.

i don’t personally think any of your examples would be classed as a material modification, and the ombudsman would slap down any insco trying to avoid a claim based on it, including the mudflaps.

I have no doubt on the whole the ombudsman will be fair, but does anyone really need the potential hassle?? Especially in OPs case where the insurer has made their view point clear.

It's always worth threatening the ombudsman. Insurance company has to pay a fee for each case that goes there even if they win. So if they know they probably won't win they will want to avoid it. I know people who work in complaints for an insurance company and every case they handle that ends up with the ombudsman is considered a fail for them.