Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 performance price increase

Do you think this could be a mistake?

• Yes

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 38 76.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think it's even quite half a second. The P model 0-60 time of 3.1s is quoted with 1 ft roll-out, while all the other models are not. I think a standard LR AWD 0-60 time with 1ft roll-out is 3.9s, so with boost it would be around 3.4s by the same measurement as used for the P model.

My LR with Boost has a 0-60 time of 3.49s with the rollout. Although Tesla states the equavalent for a P is 3.1s, results posted on Dragy show times around 2.98s, so there is still about 0.5s between LR+boost and P.

Last edited:
If I bought a car for its looks I would never have bought an M3. It’s the ugliest car I’ve ever owned and I often look at it with deep distaste.

I know it’s totally subjective, but what’s your idea of a good looking car?

I wouldn’t call the M3 ugly. At worst you could say it’s a bit generic. I think it’s a pretty smart looking car, but I like the understated style. I’m not a big fan of oversized front grilles, fake air intakes, exhausts, diffusers etc.

My LR with Boost has a 0-60 time of 3.49s with the rollout. Although Tesla states the equavalent for a P is 3.1s, results posted on Dragy show times around 2.98s, so there is still about 0.5s between LR+boost and P.

That’s interesting. So looks like the P is a tenth quicker than Tesla spec. I still don’t think it’s worth the difference in price - unless doing track days.

Every car I ever had when I didnt buy the top spec model I always regretted it every time I saw one on the road. Bought Audi tts instead of the ttrs and regretted it, bought fiesta xr2i when I really wanted the fiesta rs turbo always said to myself I wouldnt do it again, sick of spending money trying to make my car look, sound and perform like the top model, just spend the cash and enjoy the feeling of owning top of the range knowing the money is gone and you can be smug.
You are only here once and its only money so spend it and dont be a tightwad!

Every car I ever had when I didnt buy the top spec model I always regretted it every time I saw one on the road. Bought Audi tts instead of the ttrs and regretted it, bought fiesta xr2i when I really wanted the fiesta rs turbo always said to myself I wouldnt do it again, sick of spending money trying to make my car look, sound and perform like the top model, just spend the cash and enjoy the feeling of owning top of the range knowing the money is gone and you can be smug.
You are only here once and its only money so spend it and dont be a tightwad!

I just buy the version that best suits my needs. Sometimes it’s the top spec, sometimes not. With the M3 I specifically didn’t want 20” wheels or lowered suspension. The P- would have been my ideal spec, but wasn’t an option. No regrets with LR AWD as my second choice. Money saved will soon go elsewhere,

Last edited:
I see them.. Apart from the demo ones with 1000+miles on the nearly new ones with delivery miles seem to have gone up a few £K also(now 58K, rather than the 56 ish they were a few days ago) .

I wonder if people's trade in quotes have gone up accordingly.

The reasoning for pricing will likely be to encourage adoption of the LR version and help keep things simple in production whilst improving margins on the top model

The pricing certainly won’t be because of any supply issues which I don’t believe they have.

The reasoning for pricing will likely be to encourage adoption of the LR version and help keep things simple in production whilst improving margins on the top model

The pricing certainly won’t be because of any supply issues which I don’t believe they have.

I agree. They have just taken a look at their competition and current landscape. For £56k the M3P had no competitors at that price point given its capabilities - nothing even close to it!. At £60k it still doesn't have any competitors. The only car of similar capabilities albeit with better quality materials is the Porsche Taycan Turbo and that costs £115k with no options. Its a logical business move and calculation from Tesla that will bring in more money. Nothing to do with production issues. Its just capitalism essentially and you cant really blame them. When i bought my M3P for £57k with the midnight silver option only, i genuinely believed it was a steal for that price as i looked at the current market and offerings from Porsche. I would have probably paid £60-65k for it

Last edited:
I got my P in August 2019, after upgrading from the LR so I got it sooner. It was only a £3000ish upgrade back then, but really I don't use the extra performance, especially not in lockdown world, so if I ordered now it would definitely be a LR.
I'm waiting for the 4680 structural battery pack from Germany before getting my next one, so probably another couple of years.
Disappointing that I can't transfer the FSD though.

I got my P in August 2019, after upgrading from the LR so I got it sooner. It was only a £3000ish upgrade back then, but really I don't use the extra performance, especially not in lockdown world, so if I ordered now it would definitely be a LR.
I'm waiting for the 4680 structural battery pack from Germany before getting my next one, so probably another couple of years.
Disappointing that I can't transfer the FSD though.
It'd be great if the purchases such as Accel Boost or FSD were tied to the individual and you could transfer them to a new Tesla when you upgrade...