Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Real World Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm gathering data points, not for a project, but for personal edification as I think through trim selection. Interested to hear from 2020 Model 3 Performance owners with 20" rims on real world range. The EPA range/efficiency is rated at 299 miles. I realize real world range depends on many factors; however, I'm simply interested in collecting information. I've owned many performance cars over the years and never bought them for efficiency so I get that as well. Most folks buying the Performance model aren't looking to eek out every last mile of range but would still like to understand capability.

Anyhow, what are you seeing for range in city and/or highway? How does it perform on road trips? Any information you can provide would be much appreciated.

There’s some spreadsheets floating around somewhere that list the advertised EPA range and what most people get real world range that then shows the delta.

I’ll try to find it but hopefully someone already has a link

You should probably go by Wh/mi as its an easy number for owners to look up and more apples to apples than range.

I never charge to full and never run her down to empty but my lifetime Wh/mi is 304 right now at 13k miles. I drive out of and into a valley every day and I'm taking full advantage of the semi cleared roads. My commute is about 50/50 highway and city.

I'm gathering data points, not for a project, but for personal edification as I think through trim selection. Interested to hear from 2020 Model 3 Performance owners with 20" rims on real world range. The EPA range/efficiency is rated at 299 miles. I realize real world range depends on many factors; however, I'm simply interested in collecting information. I've owned many performance cars over the years and never bought them for efficiency so I get that as well. Most folks buying the Performance model aren't looking to eek out every last mile of range but would still like to understand capability.

Anyhow, what are you seeing for range in city and/or highway? How does it perform on road trips? Any information you can provide would be much appreciated.

I get an average of 300 Wh per mile on my Model 3 LR with 19 inch wheels. That would give a projected max of 250 miles from 75 KWh. Charging to an indicated 270 miles gives me a real 200 miles range but I only plan on 180 to keep a safety margin. I drive within the speed limits on a mixed set of roads. This is less range than I expected and have wondered if I was doing something wrong! Iain in Scotland

In my area where going 80+ on the highway is normal, I can go about 225-230 miles. In the cold (to me under 35) it is ~15-20 less, when it is ~60-70 and the AC doesn't have to work hard it is ~5 more. If your normal is closer to 70, you can add an easy 25 miles to those numbers. If you are mainly city, it could be more than that. That is with the 20's... I have some lighter 18s that have about the same aerodynamics and less sticky tires, I get about 10 extra miles out of those.

3 days worth of driving, see my post for more details.
36F246C0-5C36-4A23-96D0-8BB3F3D4DEDA.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White

Depends. What do you consider real world? No one I know voluntarily and regularly runs down from 100% to 0% unless they have no choice. My personal best in one shot is ~226.8mi.. 94% to 0%
1ddb5c40-2b7c-463d-8d0a-0f9c2e04c968-jpeg.510089

Depends. What do you consider real world? No one I know voluntarily and regularly runs down from 100% to 0% unless they have no choice. My personal best in one shot is ~226.8mi.. 94% to 0%
1ddb5c40-2b7c-463d-8d0a-0f9c2e04c968-jpeg.510089
You know what I mean by real world. Real world as in, the existing state of things, as opposed to one that is imaginary, simulated, or theoretical. In other words, not on a dyno or some other instrumented test under controlled conditions. It's a simple question which many in this thread have answered to the best of their ability. That's all I'm asking for. I appreciate you adding a data point.

You know what I mean by real world. Real world as in, the existing state of things, as opposed to one that is imaginary, simulated, or theoretical. In other words, not on a dyno or some other instrumented test under controlled conditions. It's a simple question which many in this thread have answered to the best of their ability. That's all I'm asking for. I appreciate you adding a data point.
60% of total rated while using 80% of the pack is what I would call real world as it avoids most corner cases.

My range starts off about 289mi/90%, then with the AC on, I'm at 10% only 170 miles later :D

I'm cool with the lower range & wish they would turn up the electrons more so I could get from 90% SOC to 10% SOC a lot faster.