Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Real World Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5% = 50 miles would be 10 miles per %? Wouldn't that give 1000 miles on a full charge?

Well, you have 4.5% of your battery (maybe, not recommended to find out how well the BMS is estimating, though!) available below 0%, which you never want to use. So that 5% would be 3.5kWh+3.7kWh = 7.2kWh

So you'd have do do 144Wh/mi, which would definitely be worth freaking out about. Maybe if you drove 20mph you could make it (two and a half stressful hours!), but probably not.

I assume he was just proposing a scenario where freaking out would definitely be justified (because you aren't going to make it).

I'd suggest to new owners:

Target 10% arrival at your Supercharger (using the Energy->Trip screen), if conditions are ideal and weather is not dangerous to life, and you like to travel 5-10mph above the speed limit.

If you prefer to travel right at the speed limit, you can probably get away with targeting 7-8% arrival charge for optimal travel time.

However, if you like to avoid any stress, or there is any uncertainty at all about safety, wait the extra couple minutes to add a couple more %.

Pay attention to how you do relative to the projections and adjust your strategy accordingly, but be careful to account for any conditions that may change results (headwind, rain, etc.).

Yeah....thanks again for the info. I REALLY like ABRP, and can't wait to try my next road trip with it. One sort of related question.....do the chargers at hotels (I guess they call them "destination chargers" typically charge fast enough to get a full charge in 6-8 hours. Just trying to figure out how to make the maximum use of my car. I don't want to have to avoid driving it on trips due to charging. ABRP plotted out my next trip in great fashion, but when I get to my destination, I am down to 20% so I would need to get a good charge before driving back the next day. I see some hotels down there have "chargepoint chargers", but I have not used one of those.

One sort of related question.....do the chargers at hotels (I guess they call them "destination chargers" typically charge fast enough to get a full charge in 6-8 hours.
That always depends on what level of circuit they are hooked up on, but yes, that's the reason they have those set up at a hotel. They will easily refill you overnight.
I see some hotels down there have "chargepoint chargers", but I have not used one of those.
That's just a brand name, like Nike. There are dozens of companies with charging networks, like Chargepoint, Blink, EVGo, Greenlots, Semaconnect, etc. etc. But as far as the type of hardware, they are basically on the same kinds of 240V circuits like you would have at home, that are probably something like 30 or 40 amp circuits. They have a handle type that is called J1772, and Tesla cars all come with an adapter that snaps onto that to fit your charge port. Some of them have stations that are the DC fast charging kind, and if they have a CHAdeMO charging handle, Tesla sells an adapter for about $400 that can use that, but if that's what you're looking at, you're better to just find a Tesla Supercharger if you can.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
do the chargers at hotels (I guess they call them "destination chargers" typically charge fast enough to get a full charge in 6-8 hours.

It depends. A lot of Chargepoint chargers are just 6kW. Sometimes 7.2kW. You can usually find out the stats from an app like Plugshare or similar.

The formula for a 2021 Model 3 AWD non-P is (roughly - the factor of 0.9 gets a little larger for higher charge rates):

Miles added/hr = Wattage (W) *0.9 / (220Wh/mi*0.955)

So for example with a 6000W charger:

Miles added/hr = 6000W*0.9/(220Wh/mi*0.955) = 26 mi/hr

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Yeah....thanks again for the info. I REALLY like ABRP, and can't wait to try my next road trip with it. One sort of related question.....do the chargers at hotels (I guess they call them "destination chargers" typically charge fast enough to get a full charge in 6-8 hours. Just trying to figure out how to make the maximum use of my car. I don't want to have to avoid driving it on trips due to charging. ABRP plotted out my next trip in great fashion, but when I get to my destination, I am down to 20% so I would need to get a good charge before driving back the next day. I see some hotels down there have "chargepoint chargers", but I have not used one of those.
You can also setup your trip as a Roundtrip, by adding a Waypoint, to see what ABRP recommends for supercharging. You can also, if your hotel has a destination charger, input that info into ABRP. And if you've registered your Tesla, it'll pull your ambient temp, elevation, speed, etc. It'll give you lots of useful data on your car, like your calibrated reference efficiency at 65mph, and whether your tires are oversize or undersize, causing a difference in speed from the speedometer. Hard to beat all of that for free.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Has anyone, with a model 3 performance, achieved consistent Wh/mi range of 275 or less?

Probably. I'm at 286 or so lifetime average and I make minimal efforts to be efficient other than not using the brakes to stop. I live in a hilly area and there are a lot of freeway miles in there, so a lifetime 275 or less is definitely achievable. I have swapped to slightly more efficient tires for most of my road trips so that screws up my data a little.

But it's certainly possible if someone is making deliberate efforts to be efficient and drives mostly on flat surface streets.

275Wh/mi will give you at least 280 miles of range with the 2021 82kWh Performance battery, when new, to 0%. (80.6kWh*0.955/275Wh/mi). If you use it all at once with no stopping.

The Performance 2021 was the range king for a while when properly equipped, but is now being usurped by the new 2021 LRs with the 82kWh batteries (though they may have a slightly lower capacity cap on them right now - it's not clear - but not enough of a cap to offset the benefit of the LRR tires).

Thanks. Any idea as to what causes the range difference v. the LR? Assuming that the driving habits are the same. Some say it's all about the wheels and tires.

It's the tires and aero wheels. The Performance is probably better otherwise since it's lower, though the spoiler effect is really unknown (probably minimal). Put aero wheels and tires on a Performance (if you can solve the minor fitting problems - spacer/lip plus caliper clearance issues) and you'll do great. The 2021 Performance has something like 360-370 rated miles or so when measured with that configuration, most likely (this is just a guess extrapolating from the LR efficiency).

Don't underestimate the aero wheels. They're pretty important if you really want to maximize range, especially at freeway speed. I don't have them. You can also get wheels aftermarket that are designed to be aero, for EVs, but not sure if the clearance is any better.

However, more relevant, unless you care about energy costs...expect 300Wh/mi on the freeway at high speeds (70-80mph), and really not THAT much different regardless of tires. So about 255 miles to 0% on a new 2021 Performance. Changing tires AND aeros might net you 25Wh/mi and another 25 miles.

Last edited:
Has anyone, with a model 3 performance, achieved consistent Wh/mi range of 275 or less?

Fairly sure that my lifetime wh/mi is less than that, probably like 270-271 or so. I "drive the streets" home when I drive into work, because the path I take includes a windy mountain type road, which I prefer to drive rather than sit on the gridlocked freeway using my FSD. My commute to work and back is around 40 miles each way.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Fairly sure that my lifetime wh/mi is less than that, probably like 270-271 or so. I "drive the streets" home when I drive into work, because the path I take includes a windy mountain type road, which I prefer to drive rather than sit on the gridlocked freeway using my FSD. My commute to work and back is around 40 miles each way.
I wasnt sure of the exact figure, so I went out to check. Figured I would provide some proof while I was out there. As you can see from the picture, my "lifetime, do not reset" trip meter is missing 400 ish miles. I didnt get the idea to do that until I read it here, after I had driven those miles within the first couple weeks or so of ownership.

Pic 1 is the wh/mi lifetime (or as close as I have it), and it usually gets a bit better during the summer, and a bit worse during the winter (the lifetime number). I would expect it to be around 270 - 271 by august.

Pic 2 is proof that my vehicle is a model 3 Performance. I dont use FSD much even though I have it, only when I am in traffic... I enjoy driving the car too much to to use it a lot.

IMG_0829.JPG

IMG_0830.jpeg

I'm gathering data points, not for a project, but for personal edification as I think through trim selection. Interested to hear from 2020 Model 3 Performance owners with 20" rims on real world range. The EPA range/efficiency is rated at 299 miles. I realize real world range depends on many factors; however, I'm simply interested in collecting information. I've owned many performance cars over the years and never bought them for efficiency so I get that as well. Most folks buying the Performance model aren't looking to eek out every last mile of range but would still like to understand capability.

Anyhow, what are you seeing for range in city and/or highway? How does it perform on road trips? Any information you can provide would be much appreciated.
I just bought mine and have been driving a week. So far the average range for city driving is not good. About 180 mi from an 80% charge to refilling at about 15-20% charge.

The current lifetime average on my ‘21 3P is 272 Wh/mi. Before, it was:

293 Wh/mi before I got a set of 18” EV01+ wheels with Michelin PS4 (not PS4S) in typical 18” size (235/45 or whatever the aero wheels come with)

272 Wh/mi when I later installed MPP comfort coilovers.

257 Wh/mi when I realized I had killed the inside edge of my PS4 tires because I didn’t bother to check the alignment after I lowered it.

Now I’ve replaced those tires with the Michelin Primacy tires you would get on a SR with aero wheels. It’s been at 257 since they were installed 11k miles ago. I also raised it back to near factory performance height and did an alignment at the same time.

So yeah, I consistently get less than 275 now, but my car doesn’t handle like a 3P anymore, and I actually prefer it this way. I don’t care how fast this car is, nor will it ever handle anywhere near as well as my C7 Grand Sport did, so I don’t need it to impress me. I need it to be a comfortable daily driver, which it is. (MPP comfort worth every penny, and quite a bit of this efficiency comes from them)