Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 performance ride quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a model Y PUP (2020) and I have to admit it’s a bit harsh. I’m looking at adding another car and looking at the Polestar 2 Perf.

I have yet to drive a M3P but I think I’ve read here the ride quality is poor. So two questions, is it? Is the LR ride much better? I can get a new demo red, white interior perf near me for immediate delivery.
The LR is bad too, but not as bad. The Model Y is worse.

I plan on test driving but thought I’d ask.
It's funny when people suggest you go take it for a test drive, as if that didn't cross your mind. There's another thread asking about color opinions. One suggested to visit a showroom and compare them. Well, that's a novel idea.

Oh well...my contribution. I personally like a more firm ride. I did test drive the M3P on the 20s and it was niiice. Way better than my MYLR on 19s.

Reactions: ODWms and Zer0t
It's funny when people suggest you go take it for a test drive, as if that didn't cross your mind. There's another thread asking about color opinions. One suggested to visit a showroom and compare them. Well, that's a novel idea.

Oh well...my contribution. I personally like a more firm ride. I did test drive the M3P on the 20s and it was niiice. Way better than my MYLR on 19s.
Tbf my local deals is is very minimalist, there's 1 model 3 on show and some random tesla parked outside (mostly white ones). They don't seem to be like a traditional garage where there's dozens of different models in different colours. Fwiw I find the Model 3 performance to be pretty soft, and the seats should grip more. As it stand I think I prefer the seats and stiffness of my wife's fiesta st:p.

I'm pretty sure the Model 3 Performance now no longer comes with the lowered suspension, it has the same setup as the LR. The feature was removed from the spec page sometime in Jan/Feb I believe.

So the only thing providing harshness would be the wheels which is easily remedied if you want to do that.

I have a model Y PUP (2020) and I have to admit it’s a bit harsh. I’m looking at adding another car and looking at the Polestar 2 Perf.

I have yet to drive a M3P but I think I’ve read here the ride quality is poor. So two questions, is it? Is the LR ride much better? I can get a new demo red, white interior perf near me for immediate delivery.

Sounds like its time for you to get a Cadillac...😂

• Funny
Reactions: TXDawg
Based on me riding in the same car as mine with 20 inch wheels compared to my 19s, the wheels and tire profile make a big difference. Personally I think people have gone nuts with the low profile tires to the point that many "performance" wheel setups look like wheels with a couple turns of electrical tape wrapped around them. This is probably just me: old school and well, just OLD. But I think they look ridiculous: some of the even lower profile tires look as ridiculous as camber gang setups with -20 degrees camber. I like to see some tire in the wheel wells. Fortunately for me, it also makes the ride better. I don't mind giving up a little in cornering performance due to more flex.

Mike

Reactions: sleepydoc and tm1v2
Coming from a Jeep Wrangler, my M3P feels normal-LOL. Seriously, this car feels just as stiff and bone jarring, but it’s lower. My kidneys aren’t shaking every time I drive, but it’s close. Having said that, it’s completely what I expected from a Performance model. This car wasn’t designed for ride quality or to compete with luxury cars. It only does two things, but it does them well. It’s fast as hell, and looks badass. YMMV

• Funny
Reactions: M3Posh and BMWM3Man
Coming from a Jeep Wrangler, my M3P feels normal-LOL. Seriously, this car feels just as stiff and bone jarring, but it’s lower. My kidneys aren’t shaking every time I drive, but it’s close. Having said that, it’s completely what I expected from a Performance model. This car wasn’t designed for ride quality or to compete with luxury cars. It only does two things, but it does them well. It’s fast as hell, and looks badass. YMMV
What year is your P3?

2022 has same suspension in both options just the tire difference.

does Tesla still sell the perf boost?

Man, comments like this make me wonder if they gave me the wrong suspension. I honestly find the car to feel super plush. My (BMW) M3 is much stiffer, and I didn’t find that to be unbearably stiff. Certainly not bone shattering or kidney shaking.

Man, comments like this make me wonder if they gave me the wrong suspension. I honestly find the car to feel super plush. My (BMW) M3 is much stiffer, and I didn’t find that to be unbearably stiff. Certainly not bone shattering or kidney shaking.
Ssssh, let him buy a LR🤣🤣. Plush? Not sure about that, but like I said, I only bought it for two reasons.

Ssssh, let him buy a LR🤣🤣. Plush? Not sure about that, but like I said, I only bought it for two reasons.
I mean compared to other performance cars? Yeah I’d call it plush. Maybe not Lexus smooth, but feels akin to a BMW 5-Series to me which still qualifies as luxury. Much smoother than say a Subaru STi (which is about what I was expecting based on all the testimonials)

I feel the same way... My wife's (base) 2021 Audi TT on 19" wheels/tires (255/35R19) feels quite a bit firmer than my 2022 M3P does. The M3P feels quite soft/plush to me.

My old 2016 BMW M3 (F80) with the stock 18" wheels/tires was also significantly firmer as well (and firmer than the TT).

Maybe it's not having the "lowered performance suspension" anymore (as alluded to earlier) on the 2022s, but either way, MPP Sports Coilovers will get installed next month.

I'm pretty sure the Model 3 Performance now no longer comes with the lowered suspension
i have to disagree with this.

i had a 3/2020 m3p with ps4s. i now have a 2/2022 m3p with ps4s. same ride height. i have posted photos measuring this. when i had the zeros on my new 2022 i measured the ride height and it was higher than my 2/2020. the zeros are stretched onto the wheel and it gives them impression of the ride height being higher than it really is.

just because a blog posts it up and many people retweet it does not make it true.

Reactions: TXDawg
I feel the same way... My wife's (base) 2021 Audi TT on 19" wheels/tires (255/35R19) feels quite a bit firmer than my 2022 M3P does. The M3P feels quite soft/plush to me.

My old 2016 BMW M3 (F80) with the stock 18" wheels/tires was also significantly firmer as well (and firmer than the TT).

Maybe it's not having the "lowered performance suspension" anymore (as alluded to earlier) on the 2022s, but either way, MPP Sports Coilovers will get installed next month.

Yeah I do wonder if it has to do with the alleged suspension changes (though TXDawg’s car is a 197xx while mine is a 167xx). And even in the past, supposedly the shocks were the same and it was only the springs that were different.

Maybe Tesla is dual souricing shocks? Just seems like some of us have very different impressions. If I keep this car long term I’ll probably go Ohlins myself. But I suspect in a couple years there’ll be an upgraded variant that I might want to buy (maybe a carbon sleeved motor for that top end pull)

Reactions: tm1v2
i have to disagree with this.

i had a 3/2020 m3p with ps4s. i now have a 2/2022 m3p with ps4s. same ride height. i have posted photos measuring this. when i had the zeros on my new 2022 i measured the ride height and it was higher than my 2/2020. the zeros are stretched onto the wheel and it gives them impression of the ride height being higher than it really is.

just because a blog posts it up and many people retweet it does not make it true.
My main evidence is the configurator no longer shows the option and they even altered the car image to match the ride height of the LR.

It would be nice if a mid Feb or later build can determine the part numbers from their suspension and compare it to the parts catalog as a firm verification.

It's possible since you took delivery in Feb 2022 your car still had the spec which contained the lowered suspension at your time of order.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯