Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 performance ride quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my M3P yesterday. The ride feels very soft and squishy compared to the 2017 VW Golf R I came from. (Softer than any Mustang, Camaro, or "sports" BMW or Audi.)

People saying that the ride is harsh either have never been in a performance car (which makes the M3P feel like a floaty Buick by comparison) or they have a completely different suspension than what I got!

The "suspension stiffness" is such a common theme with Model 3 & Y, my only theory is that since the Tesla Model 3 and Y are considered Luxury vehicles that people expect a cloud like suspension. I have both a LRAWD 3 and a MYP, they both feel fine to me, and I have everything from a lifted F150 to a WRX, and a 350Z.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Now that it's warmed up and I've had a chance to push this car a bit, I'd say it's not *bad*, but certainly doesn't hold a candle to my Ohlin's equipped E46 M3 in terms of handling. Granted I also replaced nearly every bushing with ball joints on that M3 as well. It's almost scary how fast I can take turns in that thing.

It doesn't, and it never will.
We are talking about a MUCH heavier TM3P (4,250+ lbs) riding on puny 235mm wide tires vs. ~3,450 lbs E46 M3. There is no comparison, even before you throw higher quality shocks for consideration!

I have yet to drive a M3P but I think I’ve read here the ride quality is poor. So two questions, is it? Is the LR ride much better?

I would not call TM3P ride "poor". If anything, it's "better" then excessively floaty LR and minivan-type handling of Model S.
Then again, my other car is F80 M3, and it does handle batter and lets go more predictably then TM3P. It is also lighter, and rolls on way better and wider tires, and came with adjustable shocks. So it's really not a fair comparison either.

Of the cars Tesla currently manufactures and sells, TM3P is the one that handles the "best". It may not be "good enough", but it is as good as Tesla factory knows how to do.
Some may find that perfect, some too stiff, and yet others too soft.

The only way to find out where you stand on that debate is to go and test drive it for yourself!

HTH,
a

We are talking about a MUCH heavier TM3P (4,250+ lbs) riding on puny 235mm wide tires vs. ~3,450 lbs E46 M3. There is no comparison, even before you throw higher quality shocks for consideration!

I would not call TM3P ride "poor". If anything, it's "better" then excessively floaty LR and minivan-type handling of Model S.
Then again, my other car is F80 M3, and it does handle batter and lets go more predictably then TM3P. It is also lighter, and rolls on way better and wider tires, and came with adjustable shocks. So it's really not a fair comparison either.

Of the cars Tesla currently manufactures and sells, TM3P is the one that handles the "best". It may not be "good enough", but it is as good as Tesla factory knows how to do.

The only way to find out where you stand on that debate is to go and test drive it for yourself!

HTH,
a
I test drove a M3P and thought it was great before finalizing my config.

HTH,
a
As electric cars go, I didn't think the model 3 was much heavier than an M3? But I agree suspension way to soft (although I also thought my e92 M3 was too soft too:D).

I just picked up my M3P yesterday. The ride feels very soft and squishy compared to the 2017 VW Golf R I came from. (Softer than any Mustang, Camaro, or "sports" BMW or Audi.)

People saying that the ride is harsh either have never been in a performance car (which makes the M3P feel like a floaty Buick by comparison) or they have a completely different suspension than what I got!
@McSquid The pattern I've seen on these boards is 2020 and earlier Model 3 actually do have a different, stiffer suspension. That's a big part of the dichotomy in Model 3 suspension opinions. (I'm sure expectations and past experiences play a big part too of course!)

I don't know if the suspension changed lined up exactly with the model year, probably not because it's Tesla, but sometime around 2021 they apparently softened up the Model 3 suspension across the board, M3P included. My October 2021 M3P felt very much like how you described, when it was still stock... ;)

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I test drove a M3P and thought it was great before finalizing my config.
@Zer0t With many saying it's not smooth enough, and many others (like me) saying it's too soft and floaty...I'm honestly really glad it's just right for someone (you)!

My aftermarket suspension feels fantastic to me, I love how this car drives and handles now, but damn I had better like it after dropping $4k+ on coilovers and bushings. That's not for everyone, not at all, and I really think there's opportunity for Tesla to offer a new PUP / Sport option with a real sports suspension, forged wheels, and maybe more aggressive brake pads. (I'd say with proper sport seats too but we all know that ain't happening.) Then really focus the regular suspension on comfort. I think Tesla could make more profit and sell more M3P at the same time with that strategy.

(Am I hired as a product manager at Tesla yet? What why not?? 😂)

I have a model Y PUP (2020) and I have to admit it’s a bit harsh. I’m looking at adding another car and looking at the Polestar 2 Perf.

I have yet to drive a M3P but I think I’ve read here the ride quality is poor. So two questions, is it? Is the LR ride much better? I can get a new demo red, white interior perf near me for immediate delivery.
Polestar 2 Performance Pack is really a great handling vehicle. Highly recommend getting all available Packs (Plus, Pilot, Performance) and the the Ventilated Nappa Leather seats.

Reactions: Zer0t and tm1v2
@Zer0t With many saying it's not smooth enough, and many others (like me) saying it's too soft and floaty...I'm honestly really glad it's just right for someone (you)!

My aftermarket suspension feels fantastic to me, I love how this car drives and handles now, but damn I had better like it after dropping $4k+ on coilovers and bushings. That's not for everyone, not at all, and I really think there's opportunity for Tesla to offer a new PUP / Sport option with a real sports suspension, forged wheels, and maybe more aggressive brake pads. (I'd say with proper sport seats too but we all know that ain't happening.) Then really focus the regular suspension on comfort. I think Tesla could make more profit and sell more M3P at the same time with that strategy.

(Am I hired as a product manager at Tesla yet? What why not?? 😂)
It should have better suspension as its the performance, but not on on pads, I try to not brake much if possible and let regenerate do its thing. Needs a bigger spoiler too.

As electric cars go, I didn't think the model 3 was much heavier than an M3?

Unfortunately, the tires don't know (nor care) what type of propulsion is riding on them, when you enter a corner. They just squeal and squirm when there needlessly narrow and long tire patch is pushed beyond its adhesion limits.

While 4,250 lbs may not be bad for an EV, it's pretty porky for a car of that size. We all know batteries add a lot of extra weight.
It doesn't hurt straight line acceleration (it actually helps to maximize traction on four corners). But when it comes to turning, agility, and breaking, it's a major handicap. And we all feel it in twisty bits.

But I agree suspension way to soft (although I also thought my e92 M3 was too soft too:D).

Everything is too soft, but springs are a particular soft spot (pun intended).
The TM3P sags under the weight of four (4) adults in the car, and there are some driveways I can not clear without scraping in the TM3P (140mm ground clearance) that are not a problem for ///M3 (119 mm ground clearance) with the same passenger load.

a

+1 for the M3P suspension being not really sporty at all. There’s more body roll than I would have hoped for. I’m still not certain if my M3P has the “Performance” suspension or not since the mention of it was removed from the order sheet before I ordered mine. It’s very smooth and forviging on the bumps with the 20s. I’ve had lowered aftermarket suspension in previous cars and this is nothing compared to how those setups performed.

It’s definitely nowhere near M3/M4 suspension which is top tier for an OEM spec.

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
+1 for the M3P suspension being not really sporty at all. There’s more body roll than I would have hoped for. I’m still not certain if my M3P has the “Performance” suspension or not since the mention of it was removed from the order sheet before I ordered mine. It’s very smooth and forviging on the bumps with the 20s. I’ve had lowered aftermarket suspension in previous cars and this is nothing compared to how those setups performed.

It’s definitely nowhere near M3/M4 suspension which is top tier for an OEM spec.

Tesla needs a performance suspension package or Plaid package for even more options. Sadly though, their model is more simplistic geared towards faster production as opposed to a la carte.

Unfortunately, the tires don't know (nor care) what type of propulsion is riding on them, when you enter a corner. They just squeal and squirm when there needlessly narrow and long tire patch is pushed beyond its adhesion limits.

While 4,250 lbs may not be bad for an EV, it's pretty porky for a car of that size. We all know batteries add a lot of extra weight.
It doesn't hurt straight line acceleration (it actually helps to maximize traction on four corners). But when it comes to turning, agility, and breaking, it's a major handicap. And we all feel it in twisty bits.

Everything is too soft, but springs are a particular soft spot (pun intended).
The TM3P sags under the weight of four (4) adults in the car, and there are some driveways I can not clear without scraping in the TM3P (140mm ground clearance) that are not a problem for ///M3 (119 mm ground clearance) with the same passenger load.

a
Sorry I don't know if we've got crossed wires but I believe a model 3 weighs similar to the BMW M3. Wiki says 4,072 lbs for a model 3, while the M3 (4wd) is 3924. That's essential a person difference on weight, I.e. not massive. It's certainly better than some of the other ev cars where they seem to be about 50% heavier than the ice equivalent :p. It does seem tesla aemre following the apple approach rather than the android way. I'd love it if they had some form of "sport" division like some of the other marques, that often dont void warranty.

Looking at actual tyre size comparisons, I'd guess that the model 3 has gone for narrow due to a reduction in range from wider ones (everything is a comprimise). I've not had squeal yet, but they only mid range on mine (kumho) so not pushing it. They were new on when I got the car I December, and I'm not spending a grand to change new tyres (would be different if they were long long ditchfinders).

Last edited:
Looking at actual tyre size comparisons, I'd guess that the model 3 has gone for narrow due to a reduction in range from wider ones (everything is a comprimise). I've not had squeal yet, but they only mid range on mine (kumho) so not pushing it. They were new on when I got the car I December, and I'm not spending a grand to change new tyres (would be different if they were long long ditchfinders).
@Theone8181 I think @afadeev was referring to the Pirelli PZ4 that come on USDM M3P these days. For a summer performance tire they squealed a lot in hard driving, and they didn't grip that well either.

Thankfully better tires greatly improved both aspects (more grip, no more squeal) without having to lose efficiency from wider wheels. I actually went narrower on the wheels, 18x8.5" (vs 20x9" stock on M3P) and still gained grip (with 245/45R18 tires). No I'm not setting any skidpad records with this setup but it's good for being an efficient 4 door family car EV.

Btw I agree the Model 3 is a lightweight as sporty long range EVs go. That was a real selling point to me. On the flip side I bet that similarity heavy BMW M3 AWD has a stiffer-feeling chassis. E.g. among similar EVs the Polestar 2 Performance weighs a lot more than the M3P, but the Polestar feels stiffer and more solid...you get something for the weight. (It's a lot less efficient though!)

@Theone8181 I think @afadeev was referring to the Pirelli PZ4 that come on USDM M3P these days. For a summer performance tire they squealed a lot in hard driving, and they didn't grip that well either.

Thankfully better tires greatly improved both aspects (more grip, no more squeal) without having to lose efficiency from wider wheels. I actually went narrower on the wheels, 18x8.5" (vs 20x9" stock on M3P) and still gained grip (with 245/45R18 tires). No I'm not setting any skidpad records with this setup but it's good for being an efficient 4 door family car EV.

Btw I agree the Model 3 is a lightweight as sporty long range EVs go. That was a real selling point to me. On the flip side I bet that similarity heavy BMW M3 AWD has a stiffer-feeling chassis. E.g. among similar EVs the Polestar 2 Performance weighs a lot more than the M3P, but the Polestar feels stiffer and more solid...you get something for the weight. (It's a lot less efficient though!)
Ahh I see. Tbh I've had pirellis on my 911s, and my m3. I thought they were pretty poor, grip wise and they always seemed to tramline. I've then had ps2s, ps4s and pss and they were miles better.

I think the Model 3 Performance has a ride commensurate with its compatriots that do 0-60 in 3 seconds. Why anyone would expect this car‘s suspension to be “soft” is a mystery.
The problem is that it is soft to start with. It's certainly not a firm ride, don't know what other cars people have driven, but it's nowhere near firm enough for what it's aimed at imo. I take it to be a rival to M3/c63/rs4/5 which are firmer and less wallows, although I think some of those have adaptive dampers which negate some issues.