Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance "space-saver" kit now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks,

(One for those who realise that cans of goop and tyre plugs don't get you out of every tyre/wheel damage situation!)

I just thought I should let the M3P owners know that a space-saver wheel/jack/etc. kit - similar to the one already available for the SR+ and LR but which doesn't fit the P's hub - is now available.

https://www.tyremen.co.uk/wheels/18-tesla-model-3-performance-plus-2018-2020-kom-space-saver-kit if you're interested.

A side comment related to the pictured package items. (I bought an identical looking kit - didn't include the jack pad - from a different supplier) If you receive a jacking pad that looks like the one in the picture I strongly recommend that you check the length of the locating "pin". This looks identical to the ones that have been around for a while and which have a 1 inch pin. These have been known to break off in the jacking point and then end up being jammed in the hole. The solution is to to use a small hacksaw and cut it down to about 0.5 inch ... that's all you need and it means it doesn't then get squeezed into a mushroom shape when compressed. A jack pad is required whether you get it with this kit or from another source.

Also the scissor jack does not have a flat surface on the top as it's the kind that is frequently used to locate on a sill seam jacking point. Some minor home workshop engineering to attach a flat plate may be worth considering before risking its use. This may well be worthwhile because it's not really feasible to be driving around with a full sized low-rise trolley jack in the boot! Your M3 Performance sits lower than my SR+ and I recommend that you experiment with your chosen jacking solution before you have to do it at the side of a road!

Anyone considering these kits should bear in mind that even the "space saver" is huge. It's potentially very useful but be aware it will not fit neatly anywhere in the car without taking up considerable room. It will not fit in the lower boot compartment and certainly not in the trunk. It will take up most of the useable boot space. You will only carry it in exceptional circumstances or leave at home to be brought out to you if you have a puncture.[/QUOTE]

• Informative
Reactions: Jez_GB and KennethS
Look a good bit of kit and reasonably priced but struggling to see the top of the scissor jack and how it mates with the puck. I've got a third party scissor jack, but its not going anywhere near the jack point of puck in its current way as they have a habit of travelling when jacking - I'm looking for some form of adaptor plate.

In my earlier response I messed up the quoting business so sorry that makes it harder to follow. Also, my typing of "frunk" was corrected incorrectly to "trunk" ... the space saver will not fit in the frunk ... it will fit in the boot but be aware it takes up a lot of the room.

I'm looking to find a spacsaver wheel or wheel and tyre to fit the M3 18x8.5 +40
Bolt Pattern 5x114.3 Center Bore 64.1mm
I don't want to buy a kit as I have all the remaining bits wheel brace jack etc.
I'm wondering if anyone else has found a compatible wheel eg Seat Leon?
Surely Tesla dont have bespoke wheel sizes?

I'm looking to find a spacsaver wheel or wheel and tyre to fit the M3 18x8.5 +40
I don't want to buy a kit as I have all the remaining bits wheel brace jack etc.

I'm sure the people selling the kits will give you a price for wheel only.

Used or new It doesn't matter as long as it lasts the 10 or 20 miles to get you to a garage and gets you out of waiting a couple of hours with a dying battery to get picked up. Especially if you're in a remote area without phone cover which can happen quite a bit up here.

Used or new It doesn't matter as long as it lasts the 10 or 20 miles to get you to a garage and gets you out of waiting a couple of hours with a dying battery to get picked up. Especially if you're in a remote area without phone cover which can happen quite a bit up here.

No argument about that ... I was just questioning your anticipated price for a spare wheel and tyre that fits and is safe to use on a Tesla. I had thought you were looking for a new wheel/tyre.

:) well something under the £100 range seemed to be a good idea.. £285 is a bit over the top for something that'll get used for an hour max.( I'm a scotsman!! well actually a Shetlander:D) I'm assuming a "new" one can be picked up at a breakers for under £100 after all most are never used in the lifetime of the car.
I've driven and ridden nearly a million miles in the last 40 years and I've had 4 punctures..perhaps I've been lucky.. I can remember what a pain it was waiting at the side of the road in the rain in the "no mobile" motorbike days.

I would recommend looking at some older threads such as:

Mini Spare For Model 3, Hyundai Genesis 18" works

Look a good bit of kit and reasonably priced but struggling to see the top of the scissor jack and how it mates with the puck. I've got a third party scissor jack, but its not going anywhere near the jack point of puck in its current way as they have a habit of travelling when jacking - I'm looking for some form of adaptor plate.
I did query this with them and was told: "The jack with the weight of the car grips onto the puck almost moulding itself into it , so providing its is jacked up in the centre and on even ground there should be no problem." I'll give it a go at the weekend and see. Otherwise the best approach is probably to change the head of the jack for a peg and have a matching recess in the puck...

• Helpful
Reactions: MrBadger
Thanks. My pucks (Abstract Ocean) are not the rubberised versions but solid so no give. My jack (again sourced independently) has a fairly flat top, but iirc two (?) small hemispherical protrusions that would add instability in my case. I think a low profile saddle from a trolley jack would work best.

I did query this with them and was told: "The jack with the weight of the car grips onto the puck almost moulding itself into it , so providing its is jacked up in the centre and on even ground there should be no problem." I'll give it a go at the weekend and see. Otherwise the best approach is probably to change the head of the jack for a peg and have a matching recess in the puck...

Did you get a chance to test this @ThrustSSC? Looking at buying the non-performance version of this kit for an upcoming European road trip.