Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Spoiler

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much downforce will it give me?

Overview: The optional factory Tesla rear spoiler provides sleek looks with optimized airflow characteristics to enhance efficiency as well as high speed stability.

Result: As expected, this product is not just for looks, it indeed performs improvements in high-speed stability and drag reduction. The vehicle’s total drag was reduced by 2.3% and the rear downforce was increased over baseline by 34.7%. This reduced the total drag coefficient (Cd) by 0.005.

Independent Aerodynamic Study of Tesla Model 3 by Unplugged Performance

$900 seems reasonable given current market pricing as you're basically the only one selling it right now. As a P3D+ owner who paid $5000+ for the options, I still can't even get my spoiler yet.....

I would be quite upset if they were selling it to non-P3D+ owners when they haven't even provided installs to owners who picked up their cars last September (and probably tens of thousands more waiting).

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Which will look like crap......

These are images of the first prototype gloss OEM style CF spoiler from RPMTesla. Car is dirty and so is the spoiler (sorry). Next week I will have another image of the Matte finish OEM style CF spoiler. That will be installed on my Midnight Silver Model 3. I can say these look exactly like the OEM.
IMG_3045.jpegIMG_3044.jpeg

I bought a Tesla OEM spoiler from a P3D customer that didnt want it. Paid $500 and installed it myself, i thought i was getting a deal but it was installed once and i had a hell of a time removing the old double sided tape.

Attachments

• IMG_5767-Edit.jpg
    IMG_5767-Edit.jpg
    839.5 KB · Views: 278
These are images of the first prototype gloss OEM style CF spoiler from RPMTesla. Car is dirty and so is the spoiler (sorry). Next week I will have another image of the Matte finish OEM style CF spoiler. That will be installed on my Midnight Silver Model 3. I can say these look exactly like the OEM.
View attachment 398590View attachment 398591

any chance they're thinking of offering color matched?

Oops. I forgot about this thread.

I had an offer for $1k right away, but then had someone undercut me in price... Oh well! I decided I wanted OEM, so went ahead and had it installed. It's lifting in the corners and am having it replaced tomorrow.

Reactions: zyzz
So do you still have the oem
Installed?

in one of your previous posts of re-taping the OEM
spoiler, or recovering one that had old tape still attached,
you mentioned you had a good method of double
sticky tape removal?

if it's not too much trouble, could you shore with others?
I've battled this problem with other tape down devices,
and never found an effective method other than avoidance!

in one of your previous posts of re-taping the OEM
spoiler, or recovering one that had old tape still attached,
you mentioned you had a good method of double
sticky tape removal?

if it's not too much trouble, could you shore with others?
I've battled this problem with other tape down devices,
and never found an effective method other than avoidance!

Sure. I will post the info on the material used tomorrow.

Sorry for the delay on getting this out.

Tools I used to remove the tape: All purchased from Homedepot.

https://www.amazon.com/Goo-Gone-Pro...=gateway&sprefix=googone+surfa,aps,179&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/Goof-Off-FG6...s=gateway&sprefix=goooff+super,aps,181&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.com/Swan-Isoprop...8111716&s=gateway&sprefix=70%+,aps,189&sr=8-8

https://www.amazon.com/DEVIL-4712TV...+putty+knife&qid=1558111850&s=gateway&sr=8-38

Take the putty knife and sand down the sides in a curved fashion to fit inside the curved groove of the spoiler. Does not take a lot of time and if you have a dermal , it's pretty quick.

I first started with hand removing the tape chunks and then I put the spoiler on a large white towel. I started from the center and held the spoiler perfectly centered and put very small amounts of the Goof Off super glue remover. Making sure I do not put too much on and not to drop it onto the sides. I let it sit for a min and then I started to use the putty knife to scrape the tape off. It will take about 2-3 sessions to remove 98% of the tape and it's glue backing. Make sure you have a large amount of paper towel handy to put the melted glue onto. working your way from the center point and out to one side till you reach the end then you go back and start from the center point and work your way to the other end. I was actively wiping any minor run off that might have run down the side with a clean wet micro fiber. Once you are done, you use the Goo Gone to clean the surface 100%. I used light to shine in an angle making sure you cannot see or feel any kind of sticky feel on the CF where you will be placing the new tape at. I then used the alcohol to CLEAN the surface once again making sure there would not be any residue of the goof or goo gone chemicals.

At this point you are done with the cleaning. It took me a solid 3 hours to do this task! Had a few beers and with the tv running in the background, it made the job pretty relaxing. :)

I then took the new tape. 1 was 1/2" and the other was 1/4". I used the .5" at the bottom that reaches the lip and the .25" at the top ridge that you will see has two levels to it. You do not want to tape to the top edge. You want to tape to the first edge on the top before it goes flat. On the bottom you do not want to go to the very bottom edge either but just back it up a tad and go from there. I ran 4 tape sections. started from the center to the edge and having to CUT to size as it got closer to the edge to fit the slim edge lines. The smaller .25" tape ran all the way to the edge from the top and the larger .5" tape ran to meet up the .25" tape at the bottom and it stopped there on both sides.

I took some scotch tape and set that aside. I needed to make a HANDLE to be able to remove the red tape backing while the spoiler was on the car. I lifted the red backing at the corners from the 4 center points (one at a time) and placed one side of the scotch tape (cut to size) to face the back side of the red backing tape and the another piece facing the front side of the red backing tape and not extending out from the edges so there would not be any scotch tape sticky side extending out that can stick to anything. I made these handles approx 1" long. Once done I made sure the red tape backing that now has the scotch tape pull handles is not pressed back down firmly onto the 3m tape. Its on there but just loose..... I took my time and this whole taping/cutting to size and creating handles took about another 2 hrs. Had to stop drinking so I would make sure I was able to continue to work. ;-)

Now I went and cleaned the back of the car. Making sure there is no wax, ceramic coatings or any kind of residue on the car. I also clayed the back making sure it was as clean as it could be. I took some painters tape and a ruler and put the spoiler onto the car with the new tape and it's backing still on and put the spoiler on the car and measured the edge of the spoiler to the edge of the trunk CORNER. Once I found the center point AND I visually saw that the spoiler edges were sitting flush with the car I put a piece of tape at the center of the spoiler to the trunk to keep it centered. I then put a piece of tape going down on the trunk right at the edge of the tip of the spoiler to show the edge lines of the spoiler and the car. I did this on both sides. I then put the ruler down again making sure I was still at center point. This whole process took about 15 min.

At this point I already had the car out in the sun and it was a very sunny day here in CA and the trunk was extremely HOT. I let the spoiler sit on the trunk for about 15 min and all areas were nice and toasty. :)

While the spoiler was on the car I grabbed each pull handle (2 at top and 2 at bottom all at the center point of the spoiler) and started to pull very slowly the handles and the backing out away from the tape while NOT pushing the spoiler against the car since it would pinch the tape backing and could CUT it off (that would be VERY BAD!!!!). I removed about 1' on each backing and as I pulled them I started to push the spoiler from center to the car. once I got the center point attached and all was good. I pulled the rest of the backing away from the tape on all 4 sections till I got to about 6" from each edge. I then went to one side and pulled the reaming backing off and pushed the spoiler against the car making sure it was perfectly flush and sitting on the car. I then took more painters tape and supported the edge of the spoiler to the car in an X shape. I did the same for the other edge and followed it with another anchor point at the center of the spoiler to the trunk.

I let this sit and didn't drive the car for about a day and left the tape on the car for that entire time. Once done I pulled the tapes off, cleaned the spoiler and the trunk with 70% alcohol and then followed it up with a fresh coat of Mothers CMX ceramic coating. End result was a prefect install and some good beer drinking. :)

Attachments

• IMG_3216.jpeg
    IMG_3216.jpeg
    400.1 KB · Views: 210