Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Standard options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
11012B4A-61C7-477E-8A48-868EC0BFD98A.jpeg

Thanks. So the performance won’t take aero caps for the wheel nuts?

20” wont need aero caps. It has its own.

Auto caps are only needed when removing aero covers off the 18” rims.

Standard 18” rims will not fit the performance with red callipers. But performance without red callipers comes with the 18” aero wheels - currently not an order option but seems to come and go.

Reactions: mswlogo
It seems very petty of Tesla to not include the bag holders in the frunk. I have not used mine yet, but they don’t even appear to be removable. I understand trying to manage production costs but can these represent any meaningful savings for Tesla?

Maybe they were having issues with them and easier to just remove than solve?

We very rarely use front boot as its much easier to put shopping in the back. The lid feels rather fragile to me and by all accounts, it and its locking mechanism is.

Maybe they were having issues with them and easier to just remove than solve?

We very rarely use front boot as its much easier to put shopping in the back. The lid feels rather fragile to me and by all accounts, it and its locking mechanism is.

I find that the main problem is that, if you put shopping in the frunk, and it happens to be raining, when you take the shopping out you have to put it all down on the (wet) ground in order to close the frunk in the approved way (with both hands, palm down, one hand placed either side of the badge). Not being able to close the frunk with one hand is a damned nuisance, IMHO.

There is a mod to replace the spring on the frunk latch with a weaker one, that apparently makes closing it a great deal easier. Looks like a very easy mod, but I'm a bit concerned about safety, as there's no secondary latch on the frunk lid, and I don't much like the idea that it could accidentally come open at speed. Having said that, I've not yet pulled the cover off and had a look at the latch mechanism, so I'm not 100% sure that replacing the spring would have any effect on the security of the latching mechanism itself.

• Informative
Reactions: Obliter8
Are you serious guys? Have they really removed the shopping bag hooks from the frunk?

Assuming they’ve removed the shopping bag hooks from across the M3 range and not just the performance model?

If the M3 no longer comes with hooks, how is it possible to retrofit? Isn’t that area just solid plastic or is there a blanking plate where the hook used to be?

Actually I do find the frunk and the hooks quite useful, especially for hanging takeaways and fast food bags. Helps to ensure smells, potential spillages etc are contained in the frunk. I’ve also replaced the frunk spring with a lighter one. The frunk now no longer opens with a 21-gun salute (a more muted and hushed sound now) and closing is now easier - I’m confident enough of closing with one hand when I need to without fear of deforming bonnet over time.

There’s also a secondary safety mechanism in the latch system that prevents the frunk from opening more than an inch if for any reason the frunk does spring open during driving.

@elecTED , could you let us know the size/strength of the replacement spring, please?

If the frunk is secure when driving, then the lighter spring seems like a really useful mod.
Don't rush to do this. I got the spring recommended on these forums, it does make for a more gentle close. However I found it doesn't have enough tension to open the froot when unlocked. It worked great after installing and testing but after a few hours it then wouldn't pop open. I've found gentle but firm pressure either side it the T with a wide hand span will close it without bending the bonnet. i.e. keep pushing until it clicks rather than trying to quickly push down.

• Informative
Reactions: Glan gluaisne
@elecTED , could you let us know the size/strength of the replacement spring, please?

If the frunk is secure when driving, then the lighter spring seems like a really useful mod.

@Jeremy Harris I’ll dig out details of the various springs I’ve tried and the one I’m using now which isn’t perfect (as ideally I’d like one which is a fraction weaker) but the frunk opens just like the original spring after many times of use.

• Helpful
Reactions: Glan gluaisne