Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 performance suspension question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any performance decrease with the high ride hight for the Performance?

@GuyDude Short answer - no, or very minimal.

I test drove 2021 M3LR and M3P on the same roads, two days apart, and the suspension/handling really felt the same besides the wheel+tire difference. These were October 2021 Fremont built USDM cars.

I assume that's why Tesla merely described the M3P suspension as "lower" and not better. It also wasn't much lower. If you want a significant handling upgrade vs M3LR, or significant lowering, you need to go aftermarket.

As for confirming whether any given M3P is lower, I'm sure you know Tesla changes things all the time and often without any announcement or official spec change. :) The only true confirmation is to measure the M3P's ride height, e.g. as wheel/hub center to fender distance, and compare with M3LR built around the same time.

You can also compare suspension part numbers. However the ultimate determination of ride height should still be done with measuring tape. :)

There are or were different part numbers for M3P springs. The front damper assembly had a different part number too BUT that might just be because it comes preassembled with the different springs - I'm not sure whether the front damper itself is different at all.

This thread has some part numbers people have seen on M3LR and M3P over the years:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...-than-my-old-2019-m3lr-both-with-20-s.255387/

In any case, I can assure you the actual real-world difference was very very minimal for the October 2021 cars I drove, no matter if certain part numbers were different, they still performed very similar in the scheme of things.

You can contrast that with my aftermarket suspension - it feels worlds different from stock, it's an extremely obvious upgrade. (As it should be!)

Reactions: dfwatt and GuyDude