Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Test Drives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thinkthe P3D can beat the Demon 0-60 on the street in most real world conditions. It would take perfect conditions with an expert driver to hit 2.3s 0-60 in the Demon and it's only happening on a prepped track....

Agree, I had a 2016 Z06 for a while and best I could ever manage on the street was 3.3s 0-60. A friend had a Demon for a while and I could not launch it any better than my Z06 on the street.

Yes and that's what's so neat about Model 3P. in the dragstrip video, the newbie toasts the guy with the competition M3 who spent $10,000 more money and obviously was way more invested in the race. Anybody can drag race this thing and get close to max performance.

Great video, but not sure what's wrong with the 570S other than the guy cannot seem to really drive it. R/Ts of over 1s? The 570S should be running high 10s, to low 11s, might be having trouble launching it.

I'm not sure but I think the ET excludes the reaction time, and is based on when you trip the light that is 1 foot forward from where you are starting. I could be mistaken but I think that's correct. Does anybody else have definitive information about this? Also if your reaction time is below a quarter of a second or so (Fastest anyone has ever been able to react to anything I think is on the order of 200+ ms), they assume you've tried to "time up" the light and you are DQed.

I'm not sure but I think the ET excludes the reaction time, and is based on when you trip the light that is 1 foot forward from where you are starting. I could be mistaken but I think that's correct. Does anybody else have definitive information about this? Also if your reaction time is below a quarter of a second or so (Fastest anyone has ever been able to react to anything I think is on the order of 200+ ms), they assume you've tried to "time up" the light and you are DQed.

Correct- RT has no impact on ET at all.

The timing light thing is where rollout comes from, which is why you can't trust vbox 0-60 times to tell you "real world" 0-60 times (draggy on the other hand doesn't include rollout in their 0-60).

Hence why some people mistakenly think the P3D runs 0-60 in 3.2, when the 3.5 from Tesla is quite accurate for a real world 0-60...for the 3 Tesla advertised all the 0-60s without rollout.

(The S/X on the other hand they explicitly include rollout in their P model 0-60 times)

The timing light thing is where rollout comes from, which is why you can't trust vbox 0-60 times to tell you "real world" 0-60 times (draggy on the other hand doesn't include rollout in their 0-60).

Hence why some people mistakenly think the P3D runs 0-60 in 3.2, when the 3.5 from Tesla is quite accurate for a real world 0-60...for the 3 Tesla advertised all the 0-60s without rollout.

(The S/X on the other hand they explicitly include rollout in their P model 0-60 times)

Interesting, and thanks for that clarification nightshade. I'm curious do you have Vbox? So this suggests that Vbox times would correlate with professional dragstrip times where you have a rollout?

Great video, but not sure what's wrong with the 570S other than the guy cannot seem to really drive it. R/Ts of over 1s? The 570S should be running high 10s, to low 11s, might be having trouble launching it.

As @Nightshade said; RT has no effect on ET. To your question, there's a text note late in the video briefly mentioning that the McLaren driver was playing with launch control, explaining his RTs.

Interesting, and thanks for that clarification nightshade. I'm curious do you have Vbox? So this suggests that Vbox times would correlate with professional dragstrip times where you have a rollout?

So most car magazines do their testing on a track and include rollout in all their numbers (often using vbox)

draggy works slightly differently- it includes rollout in their 1/8 and 1/4 mile numbers- to reflect how things work on a track... but does NOT include rollout in their 0-60 (or 0-X) numbers because in real life you're not doing a stoplight race with rollout.

Vbox came first- and thus became a bit of a gold standard even though their 0-60 numbers end up inflated due to rollout- but Draggy results appear to better reflect the actual numbers you can expect under the actual conditions you would care about them.

FWIW in the comparisons I've seen draggy actually better matches track times too-
Track vs vbox vs Dragy results

Me? I first got into performance cars before GPS was in common use-so I've got an old G-tech accelerometer that still works fine as long as it's level/mounted correctly...fast-polling GPS units are marginally more accurate and more forgiving of placement/calibration concerns but I'm not running a car magazine testing tons of cars so haven't seen a cause to upgrade... and honestly even less so with the Tesla, unlike previous cars it's not like I'm gonna be hooking up my laptop to tune the ECU or anything.

This is really a big point, and it makes it clear that people are often times comparing apples to oranges. I think the more accurate way to do this is to exclude reaction time in other words with a rollout. Otherwise you're talking about adding a variable interval to the actual acceleration interval to reach the target speed. What was a bit weird though is the Tesla appears to quote rollout-based times for their ludicrous mode Tesla SP 1000, but not for the model 3 performance version. It seems to me that all 0 to 60 times to be meaningful have to include clarification of rollout or no rollout.

This is really a big point, and it makes it clear that people are often times comparing apples to oranges. I think the more accurate way to do this is to exclude reaction time in other words with a rollout. Otherwise you're talking about adding a variable interval to the actual acceleration interval to reach the target speed. What was a bit weird though is the Tesla appears to quote rollout-based times for their ludicrous mode Tesla SP 1000, but not for the model 3 performance version. It seems to me that all 0 to 60 times to be meaningful have to include clarification of rollout or no rollout.

Okay, not my field, but how are reaction time and rollout connected? Staging depth and rollout, but RT?