Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Test Drives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla said Performance is 1cm lower.

Elon said it was- Specifically he said

Elon Musk said:
Performance version suspension is 1cm lower & has stronger brakes in upgrade package

So he did it in a way that suggests that's only true of the additional 5k performance package, but worded poorly enough you could find a way to read it that all Ps are like that.

So it remains unclear if it's all of em, or just the ones with 20s (and if the 20s with the different control arms are why, or if something else is different).

I am taking note of all the questions and try to get them answered after test drive..

Have they driven a model 3 LR? Would they be able to compare the handling and the acceleration to the LR?
No, they have not driven a 3LR, so no direct comparison there. As I said, they just drove a P100D which is faster than the P3D, but I am interested in the comparison.
did tesla reach out to them after filling out the form on the site or did they just contact the store?
They went into the local store last week to look for Obsidian (none there). Rep. asked "do you want to drive a P100D?" why not! "Then come back on Saturday at this time." Did the test drive and said "love the car and acceleration, but it is just too big!" Rep. says, "we just got in a P3D, if you want to drive it, I can squeeze you in next Wednesday." Why not!

Would love to know how to make the test drive list as quickly as they did.
My SIL test drove a Roadster several years ago, but it was financially out of his reach then. Evidently, he is still on their computerized interest list. They have ordered a 3LR and have committed their $3500, but I think the reps. have been told to try to upsell to the P3D and they feel like they have a "live one" on the hook! ;) I don't think it's going to work, but who knows.

Would be nice if they would have the RWD for test drive too. Some of us can’t spend an extra $20-30k even if the P knocks our socks off lol

I think you can approximate the experience? Tons if not ALMOST ALL people got the Model 3 without having actually driven one. Many, never even seeing one in person.

Not one review said it drives like a Prius or a Leaf, etc.

Reactions: Krugerrand
Elon said it was- Specifically he said

So he did it in a way that suggests that's only true of the additional 5k performance package, but worded poorly enough you could find a way to read it that all Ps are like that.

So it remains unclear if it's all of em, or just the ones with 20s (and if the 20s with the different control arms are why, or if something else is different).

It appears the lowered suspension is part of the $5k Performance Upgrade Package. They updated the site this morning.

It appears the lowered suspension is part of the $5k Performance Upgrade Package. They updated the site this morning.
This frankly kinda pisses me off. The more I see it, the more I feel like I paid $11k for a software update and nothing more. That's a lot of money and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. They need to be more forthcoming with details if they're going to offer something for sale. I'm strongly considering dropping my order to AWD Non-P and saving $11k as it seems more and more this $5k package is really needed.

This frankly kinda pisses me off. The more I see it, the more I feel like I paid $11k for a software update and nothing more. That's a lot of money and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. They need to be more forthcoming with details if they're going to offer something for sale. I'm strongly considering dropping my order to AWD Non-P and saving $11k as it seems more and more this $5k package is really needed.

The P has a different motor and probably can also deliver a lot more power from the pack as well vs AWD non-P. But I’m expecting the Non-P to be plenty fast

The P has a different motor

No, it does not.

the same motor (and same entire drive unit) is lot sorted and the "highest scoring" of the same part go in the P.

Given modern MFG tolerances the scores are likely all exceedingly close regardless of which car they go in though.

T
and probably can also deliver a lot more power from the pack as well vs AWD non-P. But I’m expecting the Non-P to be plenty fast

Again- as far as we know, the P is exactly the same powertrain hardware as the AWD non-P.

As MXWing likes to say; "You are faster than an iPace or BMW M3. Or you are not." That and the money you want to spend are the key decisions.

You are ultimately paying to go faster, sooner. To at least make that cafe racer at the light sweat and force them to keep her shifts on point. ;) Tesla's expense is primarily underwriting the risk of the extra stress of more current/torque/speed. There's fat margin in there, to be sure, and the product here is far more (at least as we know right now) conceptual more than a given physical part. Does that really matter that much, rationally? I mean I'm dropping an extra $9K for probably about $3K worth of batteries, simply because I feel that extra range is worth it to me. I'm also buying AWD at likely a similar margin, because I like that feel. Not because of the physical part itself.

Of course buying the D and hoping you'll get some sort of "free" partial uncork down the road is another path. Especially if "faster than an iPace or BMW M3" doesn't matter to you today, if ever. It is what I've done.

Last edited:
Tesla charges $11k for a software update if you add EAP and FSD after delivery. I believe they've charged near that amount in the past for battery unlocks and performance uncorking on S and X. This is not a surprising thing for them to do...

Personally, I like that they split out the performance package. If it was available when I ordered 3 months ago, I would have seriously considered getting RWD + performance package.

Tesla charges $11k for a software update if you add EAP and FSD after delivery. I believe they've charged near that amount in the past for battery unlocks and performance uncorking on S and X. This is not a surprising thing for them to do...

Exactly.

Personally, I like that they split out the performance package. If it was available when I ordered 3 months ago, I would have seriously considered getting RWD + performance package.

Except it's not an available package on anything other than the performance 3. It would be a nice touch if it was available as a package on all models.